SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

GeauxSioux

UND should continue to grow. There is a lot of land that can house new buildings for both classrooms and living quarters too, unlike NDSU which its space is limited in North Fargo therefore making classrooms downtown. So I would say as long as people are able to fork over the tuition they should not be denied education at UND or NDSU due to capacity.

NDSU owns a lot of land in North Fargo. Lots of room to go still. A lot of the houses on University are now property of NDSU, word is that once they buy up a few more of them they will be tearing them down for new builds. Also if you go west of the Fargodome there is a lot of room. Both schools have a lot of area to build in. NDSU put the business school downtown because of how cheap it was to remodel rather than build.

UND needs to be given credit for 2 major aspects: increasing student retention and growing graduate students. That is the proper way to be growing a school and increasing its national rankings and reputation.

Now UND needs to work on increasing its 4 year graduation rate. That is one area that UND ranks really low (I definately did not help out this statistic).

Now UND needs to work on increasing its 4 year graduation rate. That is one area that UND ranks really low (I definately did not help out this statistic).

Isn't this why a few years ago they "upped" the standards (or at least talked about it) to get into UND so the freshman were more "qualified" and more likely to graduate.

What else should UND do to help retain students?

UND needs to be given credit for 2 major aspects: increasing student retention and growing graduate students. That is the proper way to be growing a school and increasing its national rankings and reputation.

The acceptance rate is dropping as well, which is a good sign. UND (per USNews) sits at 70 percent, which is the lowest of the Dakota Schools.

Me either! I had to cut it short at 4.5; in hindsight what's another year ;)

Where's that lakesbison/JBB "Dakota Big 3" talk now?

They will simply have to slightly change it to the "Dakota Small 3" now. And since certain posters insist on referring to themselves as the "Mighty Land Grants" maybe we need to refer to ourself as the "Mighty Space Grant" institution.

They will simply have to slightly change it to the "Dakota Small 3" now. And since certain posters insist on referring to themselves as the "Mighty Land Grants" maybe we need to refer to ourself as the "Mighty Space Grant" institution.

And they will have to change the name of the school in El Forko Grande to UND-Online. ;) Perhaps with the nickname getting dropped you can be the UND-Online Routers or UND-O Modems...

And they will have to change the name of the school in El Forko Grande to UND-Online. ;) Perhaps with the nickname getting dropped you can be the UND-Online Routers or UND-O Modems...

Perhaps someone should have told the "online" students they would have to live in virtual dorms.

As it is, the residence halls at the University of North Dakota are bursting at the seams, and each year providing housing for each student becomes more difficult.

http://www.dakotastu...t-und-1.2622908

and from last weeks press release...

The fourth week number is considered the “official enrollment” for the year, but in reality, it is a snapshot only of the students registered on the first day of the fourth week of school. UND typically enrolls an additional 2,000 or so degree-seeking students throughout the remainder of the year. The number also doesn’t include some students trained by the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences through UND’s partnerships across the United States and with other countries.

1. El Forko Grande? how racist, not sure what you are getting at.

2. UND-Online? Any facts to back that up, not sure what you are getting at? UND has online students, yes, as do many schools. Online students are essential for schools in states such as ND, SD, Montana, Wyoming, etc. UND online classes are accredited, and essentially the same course taught on campus, these aren't Devry or U of Phoenix garbage.

• Upvote 1

2. UND-Online? Any facts to back that up, not sure what you are getting at? UND has online students, yes, as do many schools. Online students are essential for schools in states such as ND, SD, Montana, Wyoming, etc. UND online classes are accredited, and essentially the same course taught on campus, these aren't Devry or U of Phoenix garbage.

I know Johnny's just ribbing us, but all that aside, I too find this whole "online enrollment" thing to be a bit perplexing. There's a guy on the IN-FORUM Web site's comments section that chimes in with the whole "UND has a lot of online students" argument every time there's a topic even remotely addressing NDUS enrollment. I think he/she goes by screen name "Tony," and I can only surmise that it is the one and only "Tony" from "Cow-ville," er, I mean, "Bisonville" fame. Anyway, when you listen to this nonsense, it's like no other school in the university system has online students -- just UND, and you'd think that it doesn't take any money or resources to provide an accredited education for these students. They're just souless figments of our imagination that sit on our enrollment sheets to bolster numbers. B.S., I'm here to say that an online education does mean something and that it does take resources and expenses to grow it and make it as successful a part of UND's Graduate School program as it has become, especially an accredited one like UND has. It shows that a UND education is in demand from people all over the world. I don't think anyone should be poo pooing online students, especially, friends, supporters and alumni of a school that does the exact same thing, just to a lesser degree. It's just that UND does it better and thus attracts more of those kinds of students.

All that said, UND's on-campus enrollment (excluding all distance learners) is growing too. UND Housing officials have been quoted as saying there have never been more students living on campus in residence halls than the fall semester of 2011. Lastly, and not that it matters one iota, but UND's on-campus face-to-face headcount is still more than the two South Dakota members of the so-called big-time"Dakota 3" schools. And the third one of those three (NDSU), is now losing population (though, they'll use PR speak and say "holding steady), due to overspending and poor administrative decisions made by its previous regime, to the point that if it doesn't get its act together, it might one day find itself playing second fiddle when it comes to face-to-face enrollment, too. Again, for accentuation sake, not that it REALLY matters. But the whole thing just keeps getting brought up.

Whew! I'm done. Go Sioux!

Just so we are all working with factual numbers, the UND Office of Institutional Research reports, as of the fourth week of classes, Fall Semester 2011:

Traditional face-to-face undupl. headcount: 10,544

Combo (combination of online and traditional): 1,488

Total UND students who take at least one class on campus: 12,032

Total UND Distance education headcount: 2,665

Total enrollment: 14,697

I know Johnny's just ribbing us, but all that aside, I too find this whole "online enrollment" thing to be a bit perplexing. There's a guy on the IN-FORUM Web site's comments section that chimes in with the whole "UND has a lot of online students" argument every time there's a topic even remotely addressing NDUS enrollment. I think he/she goes by screen name "Tony," and I can only surmise that it is the one and only "Tony" from "Cow-ville," er, I mean, "Bisonville" fame. Anyway, when you listen to this nonsense, it's like no other school in the university system has online students -- just UND, and you'd think that it doesn't take any money or resources to provide an accredited education for these students. They're just souless figments of our imagination that sit on our enrollment sheets to bolster numbers. B.S., I'm here to say that an online education does mean something and that it does take resources and expenses to grow it and make it as successful a part of UND's Graduate School program as it has become, especially an accredited one like UND has. It shows that a UND education is in demand from people all over the world. I don't think anyone should be poo pooing online students, especially, friends, supporters and alumni of a school that does the exact same thing, just to a lesser degree. It's just that UND does it better and thus attracts more of those kinds of students.

All that said, UND's on-campus enrollment (excluding all distance learners) is growing too. UND Housing officials have been quoted as saying there have never been more students living on campus in residence halls than the fall semester of 2011. Lastly, and not that it matters one iota, but UND's on-campus face-to-face headcount is still more than the two South Dakota members of the so-called big-time"Dakota 3" schools. And the third one of those three (NDSU), is now losing population (though, they'll use PR speak and say "holding steady), due to overspending and poor administrative decisions made by its previous regime, to the point that if it doesn't get its act together, it might one day find itself playing second fiddle when it comes to face-to-face enrollment, too. Again, for accentuation sake, not that it REALLY matters. But the whole thing just keeps getting brought up.

Whew! I'm done. Go Sioux!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I stand corrected after doing my own number crunching. UND's on-campus enrollment is 12,032 compared to South Dakota State's overall enrollment of 12,725.

Grand Forks' nomenclature on Bisonville. That forum trashes ever city in North Dakota except Fargo. They still trash Minot, even after the flood.

I know Johnny's just ribbing us, but all that aside, I too find this whole "online enrollment" thing to be a bit perplexing.

There's a guy on the IN-FORUM Web site's comments section that chimes in with the whole "UND has a lot of online students" argument every time there's a topic even remotely addressing NDUS enrollment. I think he/she goes by screen name "Tony," and I can only surmise that it is the one and only "Tony" from "Cow-ville," er, I mean, "Bisonville" fame. Anyway, when you listen to this nonsense, it's like no other school in the university system has online students -- just UND, and you'd think that it doesn't take any money or resources to provide an accredited education for these students.

"Tony" from Bisonville has absolute contempt for UND and all other NDUS schools. His rants from his Manhattan condo about NDSU's inadequate funding from ND have been going on for years and years. The Chapman situation almost gave him a stroke. :hypocrite: