SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

GeauxSioux

‘Focus on quality’

UND’s fall enrollment is the largest ever, and that is close to the limit for the university, according to President Robert Kelley, who made his annual State of the University address Thursday.

“I believe that these enrollment numbers are just about right for the physical resources of the institution,” he said. “So, I submit to you that the challenge before us now is not so much quantity, but to continue to focus on quality.”

Fall enrollment is now 14,194, close to 8 percent higher than the previous fall, which itself was within a hair of the all-time high set five years before.

I can see continued growth to 15,000-16,000.

Tu-Uyen on Enrollment....

UND enrollment growth no longer a big worry

What you want in a research university is probably a critical mass of some kind so you have a certain diversity of faculty and the ability to pull in a certain amount of research grants and contracts; this is where that economic impact comes in. So contraction of enrollment would be a step backwards.

But if you

• 4 months later...

More info on the enrollment numbers....UND Posts Largest-Ever Spring Enrollment: 13,458

Overall, UND’s undergraduate enrollment is 10,421, up 5.1 percent (506) over last year’s final spring number of 9,915. .....

....The Graduate School has also shown impressive growth, up 8.3 percent (196) to 2,547, compared to 2,351 last spring.

• 6 months later...

More students at NDSU and UND

UND's first day enrollment is 14,076, an increase of 645 over last year's initial day tally of 13,431. UND showed good growth for the first day of classes. The UND Graduate School showed the best growth with 2,556 students, up 7 percent over last year's tally of 2,400. UND has 2,945 new undergraduate students, an increase over last year's 2,925 students. Transfer students are up 4 percent, 841 compared to 812. New freshmen numbers are down slightly by nine students, 2,104 compared to 2,113. UND also showed a 2 percent increase in professional students (medicine and law), 504 compared to 496. And the number of returning undergraduate students is up 6 percent, 8,071 compared to 7,610.

Nice to see growth in the graduate programs.

I seem to recall Kelly saying that UND is basically tapped as far as student capacity. He wanted to focus on increasing the overall quality of student body. I'm curious to see the academic stats of the incoming freshmen.

From the article the number of freshman students are down 9 from last year. It appears the growth is due to the graduate students and an increase in retention of existing students.

Will Carlson and his cronies in the Legislature push to get student numbers lower? It seems that the pressure from the Legislature is for no growth......which seems to me to be damn backwards. One would think Higher Ed in ND should do well with all the additional Bakken revenue flowing into state coffers. But, the last legislative session was a bust for Higher Ed with some destructive political games being played between Carlson power grabbing from the SBOHE.

Will Carlson and his cronies in the Legislature push to get student numbers lower? It seems that the pressure from the Legislature is for no growth......which seems to me to be damn backwards. One would think Higher Ed in ND should do well with all the additional Bakken revenue flowing into state coffers. But, the last legislative session was a bust for Higher Ed with some destructive political games being played between Carlson power grabbing from the SBOHE.

What does enrollment growth have to do with anything? If you don't have space - why keep cramming in more students? Do you have some sort of misguided assumption that in general growth is good, flat is bad and negative means start firing people?

It's not like the higher education needs of ND high school graduates are going unmet. Any enrollment growth is students enrolling from outside of ND.

The only enrollment they should be trying to grow is graduate enrollment. Without grad students, the school can not expand research and can not compete for research grants.

• 4 weeks later...

UND just posted another all-time record enrollment at 14,697, up about 3.5 percent or 503 students from the same time last year, which also was a record. :) The University also is reporting that there is a record number of students living in residence halls on campus, indicating that "on campus" enrollment is strong, and that the numbers aren't just smoke and mirrors with online students. (though, I would imagine that online education still is a strong initiative at UND... and there is nothing wrong with that!).

UND just posted another all-time record enrollment at 14,697, up about 3.5 percent or 503 students from the same time last year, which also was a record. :) The University also is reporting that there is a record number of students living in residence halls on campus, indicating that "on campus" enrollment is strong, and that the numbers aren't just smoke and mirrors with online students. (though, I would imagine that online education still is a strong initiative at UND... and there is nothing wrong with that!).

So after four years of D1 transition we are right back in our rightful spot as the largest university in the state. That didn't take long.

Cue Kolpack. :lol:

So after four years of D1 transition we are right back in our rightful spot as the largest university in the state. That didn't take long.

It's a fun thing to joke back and forth about, this arms race for students between the two big research universities in the state, but in the end, I think we should value quality over quantity. I think both schools are pretty good quality institutions, which is a testament ot the state of North Dakota. It will probably continue to go back and forth as far as who enrolls more students for a long time. But sure is fun to be on top for a while again. ;)

UND enrollment sets another record at 14,697, thanks in part to strong returning-student numbers/

UND’s strong enrollment reflects our students’ desire to return year after year to continue a quality education at an Exceptional UND. The number of returning undergraduates (all non-new freshman and transfer students) is 8,557, up 394 students, or 5 percent, from the 2010 final enrollment. The Graduate School, too, had positive growth with a 4-percent increase, from 2,560 students to 2,673 students now. UND also is showing an increase in professional students – law and medical — with 502 compared to 495 in the fall of 2010.

I found this interesting...

The fourth week number is considered the “official enrollment” for the year, but in reality, it is a snapshot only of the students registered on the first day of the fourth week of school. UND typically enrolls an additional 2,000 or so degree-seeking students throughout the remainder of the year. The number also doesn’t include some students trained by the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences through UND’s partnerships across the United States and with other countries.