SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2010-11

AZSIOUX

per hammyhockey twitter (gpl guy and gopher fan in the know)

Multiple sources tell me that a Gopher forward will be suspended. Not gonna say why other than it is not good behavior away from the rink.

I don't know what this means for the future of the player. Word has it that the NHL team with his rights don't want him sitting out.

Which may mean he goes WHL to keep playing. I don't believe any decisions have been made yet on his end though

There was a time when the wheels used to fly off the little Brown and Yellow Wagon after Christmas. These days they seem to fly off before the season ever starts. :D

It is a blast going over on GPL and reading what the Gopher fans have to say and what is going on with their program. First, over the weekend an imposter opened a Twitter account under the name of Alex Kangas and trash talked Gopher fans and alumni. Quite a few GPL posters ripped into Kangas for a bad attitude before Kangas actually posted that the Twitter account was not him (it was a friend of his- some friend). Then just as the posters were busy retracting their anti-Kangas posts, the news item broke about a Gopher forward failing two drug tests over the summer. And then there is the talk of kidnapping the UNO coaching staff when they come to Mariucci and force them to coach the Gophers. It is like a soap opera.

It is a blast going over on GPL and reading what the Gopher fans have to say and what is going on with their program. First, over the weekend an imposter opened a Twitter account under the name of Alex Kangas and trash talked Gopher fans and alumni. Quite a few GPL posters ripped into Kangas for a bad attitude before Kangas actually posted that the Twitter account was not him (it was a friend of his- some friend). Then just as the posters were busy retracting their anti-Kangas posts, the news item broke about a Gopher forward failing two drug tests over the summer. And then there is the talk of kidnapping the UNO coaching staff when they come to Mariucci and force them to coach the Gophers. It is like a soap opera.

I find myself caring less and less about the gopher program as the past few years have gone by...but, you have to admit, it is pretty fun watching that debacle from a distance. There is a very good chance that the former "Pride on Ice" will finish in the bottom of the WCHA this year once again.

Wow, talk about drama over in Gopherland this offseason.

It has been confirmed now...Leddy has signed and Birkholz has left the team due to the suspension (supposedly signing with Everett in the WHL).

That's crazy. I wonder if Ambroz will come in now that Birkholz has left?

The departure of Birkholz has to be a disappointment because that's just bad decisionmaking on the part of the athlete. But that can happen anywhere, as we've seen here.

I really don't understand all the anger over Leddy's departure, especially directed at Lucia. I've never understood the argument that it reflects badly on a coach or program when a kid departs early for professional hockey, even if it's not the NHL.

Most of these kids would kill to earn a paycheck playing hockey.

I know we hated to lose Toews, Oshie, Chorney, etc..., early, but I don't think anyone ever suggested it was a black mark against the coaches or program. Even a kid like Brian Lee, someone the fans felt had disappointed, didn't cause the type of angst we're reading about with Leddy.

I would guess it's just the cumulative effect of all the rest of the items that have occurred that may be causing their fans to respond this way, and upon some later reflection they'll see it's actually a postitive for the program to help a kid achieve his dream of reaching the NHL.

The departure of Birkholz has to be a disappointment because that's just bad decisionmaking on the part of the athlete. But that can happen anywhere, as we've seen here.

I really don't understand all the anger over Leddy's departure, especially directed at Lucia. I've never understood the argument that it reflects badly on a coach or program when a kid departs early for professional hockey, even if it's not the NHL.

Most of these kids would kill to earn a paycheck playing hockey.

I know we hated to lose Toews, Oshie, Chorney, etc..., early, but I don't think anyone ever suggested it was a black mark against the coaches or program. Even a kid like Brian Lee, someone the fans felt had disappointed, didn't cause the type of angst we're reading about with Leddy.

I would guess it's just the cumulative effect of all the rest of the items that have occurred that may be causing their fans to respond this way, and upon some later reflection they'll see it's actually a postitive for the program to help a kid achieve his dream of reaching the NHL.

Nevermind the fact that the biggest knock on Lucia is that he doesn't develop players. Now one develops and he gets criticism from another angle. He can't win any which way. While I think Chicago's need is a bigger player in them taking Leddy, he must have developed to some degree.

Wow, talk about drama over in Gopherland this offseason.

It has been confirmed now...Leddy has signed and Birkholz has left the team due to the suspension (supposedly signing with Everett in the WHL).

That's crazy. I wonder if Ambroz will come in now that Birkholz has left?

Yeah, it's crazy on GPL right now...Leddy and Birkholz gone, now they're speculating a D-man (Hess seems to be the odds-on favorite) might bolt. Lot of high anxiety and Lucia/Hill bashing showing up this week.

First off, Birkholz's deal isn't Lucia's problem. In fact, Birkholz did Lucia a favor by leaving. I heard that it is a drug charge (Marijuana). I don't know if that's even remotely true, but if so, the kid's dumb as rocks. It's kindof interesting to see that, though he can get suspended from a DI team, a Major Junior team will simply pishposh the whole thing. That's ok. Birkholz is fast becoming another $10 talent with a 10 cent head.

And, imo, Ambroz won't be allowed to unpack in Omaha. He's on his way back.

Second, rumor is rumor. I see Ness (who I assume was the one instead of a fictional Dman named Hess) staying.

Third, Lucia bashing is of Lucia's own doing. They're not that bad offensively. They have decent talent between the pipes. They have atrocious special teams (which, at least concerning the power play, frankly stuns me) and almost no team defense to speak of. People here equate physicality to team D and, to an extent, they're right, but it isn't always exclusive. Mankato's Team D in recent past was very physical but not always effective. Lucia did this to himself because he gives Hill too much power over the areas that the team is lacking and fails to recognize it well enough to realize that it is directly effecting his job. Minnesota logistically is strange these days. They fire or reassign Woog and the Rug alluding to the premise that they're affecting the quality of the game as it is being broadcast (The Rug I can see their point... but bias or not, Woog did a good job). However, the unbelievable loyalty to John Hill WILL cost Lucia his job.

Broken record, I know, but: A defenseman not developing... blame Hill. A defenseman developing.... despite Hill.

Leddy signing is just Chicago getting overworried about their team. And yeah, gone is all of their depth and possibly goaltending but.... They put themselves in this position thanks to Huet and Hossa and, to be blunt, the bonuses to Toews and Kane. Leddy was dumb. He should've stayed at least one more year and used it as leverage. There's a chance the Hawks will lose Seabrook next year and that means, though it won't effect Leddy financially, it could leverage him into a better position as to making the NHL straight from college.

Who will come in to replace Leddy?

First off, Birkholz's deal isn't Lucia's problem. In fact, Birkholz did Lucia a favor by leaving. I heard that it is a drug charge (Marijuana). I don't know if that's even remotely true, but if so, the kid's dumb as rocks. It's kindof interesting to see that, though he can get suspended from a DI team, a Major Junior team will simply pishposh the whole thing. That's ok. Birkholz is fast becoming another $10 talent with a 10 cent head.

And, imo, Ambroz won't be allowed to unpack in Omaha. He's on his way back.

Second, rumor is rumor. I see Ness (who I assume was the one instead of a fictional Dman named Hess) staying.

Third, Lucia bashing is of Lucia's own doing. They're not that bad offensively. They have decent talent between the pipes. They have atrocious special teams (which, at least concerning the power play, frankly stuns me) and almost no team defense to speak of. People here equate physicality to team D and, to an extent, they're right, but it isn't always exclusive. Mankato's Team D in recent past was very physical but not always effective. Lucia did this to himself because he gives Hill too much power over the areas that the team is lacking and fails to recognize it well enough to realize that it is directly effecting his job. Minnesota logistically is strange these days. They fire or reassign Woog and the Rug alluding to the premise that they're affecting the quality of the game as it is being broadcast (The Rug I can see their point... but bias or not, Woog did a good job). However, the unbelievable loyalty to John Hill WILL cost Lucia his job.

Broken record, I know, but: A defenseman not developing... blame Hill. A defenseman developing.... despite Hill.

Leddy signing is just Chicago getting overworried about their team. And yeah, gone is all of their depth and possibly goaltending but.... They put themselves in this position thanks to Huet and Hossa and, to be blunt, the bonuses to Toews and Kane. Leddy was dumb. He should've stayed at least one more year and used it as leverage. There's a chance the Hawks will lose Seabrook next year and that means, though it won't effect Leddy financially, it could leverage him into a better position as to making the NHL straight from college.

Who will come in to replace Leddy?

Gardiner is replacing Birkholz, Holl is replacing Leddy

Yeah, it's crazy on GPL right now...Leddy and Birkholz gone, now they're speculating a D-man (Hess seems to be the odds-on favorite) might bolt. Lot of high anxiety and Lucia/Hill bashing showing up this week.

My favorite post from GPL, This year's "Skate with the Gophers" event will actually include a team tryout. :D

First off, Birkholz's deal isn't Lucia's problem. In fact, Birkholz did Lucia a favor by leaving. I heard that it is a drug charge (Marijuana). I don't know if that's even remotely true, but if so, the kid's dumb as rocks.

If he was busted for Marijuana, isn't that going to make it harder for him to play hockey in Canada when his team travels?

Oops, I missed that on the proofread, then again if they keep losing guys at the current rate a fictional Dman named Hess might have a shot. :D

Do we know if it was an arrest, or was it just failing a drug test?

GPL says TWO failed drug tests.

I don't know for what....pot? steroids? Although I just don't know how steroids could be the culprit.... does the NCAA or UMN have drug testing?

GPL says TWO failed drug tests.

I don't know for what....pot? steroids? Although I just don't know how steroids could be the culprit.... does the NCAA or UMN have drug testing?

This is probably the most attention this program has received since they won back to back NC. Unfortunately for them it is probably the wrong attention they would like.

This is probably the most attention this program has received since they won back to back NC. Unfortunately for them it is probably the wrong attention they would like.

I agree.

I dislike the Gophers with a passion on the ice.... but this off the ice stuff is just sad. I know there are those that think "Anything bad news to Minnesota is good news for everyone else" but I'm not that person.

------------------------------------------

In other unfortunate news, anyone here catch what happened to that BSU player? I can't remember his name but he had a stroke. A f-ing stroke! I didn't know that happened in people less than 30 years of age who are not epileptic!

This kid I guess is going into either his sophomore of junior year at BSU. Here is the story on Ben Kinne

Was doing a little shopping at the Menards in Fargo yesterday and who is in my checkout lane? None other then Dean Blais himself. When we were both out in the parking lot I had to give him a Lets Go Sioux to which he kindly turned around and waved to me with a big smile on his face.

That guy is class all the way.

I think everyone but the most unreasonable gopher fans agree this is the a very unusual late July phenomena going on in Minneapolis. And this on top of other Gopher players leaving under similar circumstances in the past few years leads me to ask: Is the problem in Gopherland that Lucia recruits this type of hockey player, or that these are all great loyal hockey players who become jaded and disillusioned with a lousy program, or does the blame lie elsewhere?