SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

He has not shown anything yet that would get him a spot in the AHL. By the way how many 2nd round picks have never even made it to the AHL?

Are you talking about Rocco? Rocco could play in the AHL. In regards to your third sentence....I'm sure a ton. However, reverse that....how many second round picks have played in the AHL? Also, he was the first pick in the second round.

Are you talking about Rocco? Rocco could play in the AHL. In regards to your third sentence....I'm sure a ton. However, reverse that....how many second round picks have played in the AHL? Also, he was the first pick in the second round.

7 goals in 20 games with the ice time he has gotten? Don't blame that on the people around him. He is not ready to go yet.

7 goals in 20 games with the ice time he has gotten? Don't blame that on the people around him. He is not ready to go yet.

I thought you were saying he wasn't an AHL player....sorry. I do agree with you, he has to come back next year and continue to develope his playmaking ability. I bet he finishes the year better than a pt/gm which is very good in this league. I thought Rocco would put up numbers in the same stratisphere as Jonny Hockey but so far not even close. I just remember all the chances he got last year and all the pipes he hit.

I thought you were saying he wasn't an AHL player....sorry. I do agree with you, he has to come back next year and continue to develope his playmaking ability. I bet he finishes the year better than a pt/gm which is very good in this league. I thought Rocco would put up numbers in the same stratisphere as Jonny Hockey but so far not even close. I just remember all the chances he got last year and all the pipes he hit.

If he can fix his shot and become a better finisher the sky is the limit.

He can be but he is not yet. I think he should stay for the next two years to develope. I am just curious though if Florida's rights run out next August, which would be after his fourth year, or August 16 which would be after his fourth year of eligibilty. Who knows if they run out in 2015 and he plays another year and has a great season, which I could easily see him and Luke together and building a chemistry that would make him a better free agent. Those two togther next year is going to be nice. Give them another year together and watch out college hockey. Togther they have a strong potential to be real special.

Not just all his near misses last year but this year also. Luke has set him up real nice numerous times and he whiffed.

Ok this may sound bad but think about it. Born agains have a high tendency to always say it is god's will to what happens. Maybe he needs to take the reigns of his own destiny and work harder. Saying that it was god's will is simply a good way of not taking reponsibilty.

Ok this may sound bad but think about it. Born agains have a high tendency to always say it is god's will to what happens. Maybe he needs to take the reigns of his own destiny and work harder. Saying that it was god's will is simply a good way of not taking reponsibilty.

you are right...this does sound bad...might want to quit while you are way behind.

He can be but he is not yet. I think he should stay for the next two years to develope. I am just curious though if Florida's rights run out next August, which would be after his fourth year, or August 16 which would be after his fourth year of eligibilty. Who knows if they run out in 2015 and he plays another year and has a great season, which I could easily see him and Luke together and building a chemistry that would make him a better free agent. Those two togther next year is going to be nice. Give them another year together and watch out college hockey. Togther they have a strong potential to be real special.

Not just all his near misses last year but this year also. Luke has set him up real nice numerous times and he whiffed.

Johnson whiffed on a nice goal mouth feed from Rocco on Saturday night, too.

That's a pretty big assumption to say that is how he thinks. Probably best to treat this like a family gathering and just keep the religion/atheism out of the discussion or it can get ugly/uncomfortable.

That's a pretty big assumption to say that is how he thinks. Probably best to treat this like a family gathering and just keep the religion/atheism out of the discussion or it can get ugly/uncomfortable.

Sometimes you just have to look at the bigger picture. This is no different than other comments people make about how players are thinking and need to get it together. What I did say is a fact about born agains. By the way it is Rocco himself that brings his religion to the forefront. So maybe you should tell him that is wrong also.

I understand the religion comment, but if you've ever seen or heard an interview with Rocco you'd think otherwise. He has a tendency to be too hard on himself. And considering his commitment after his injury and red shirt, I would believe his work ethic is right up there where it needs to be.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes you just have to look at the bigger picture. This is no different than other comments people make about how players are thinking and need to get it together. What I did say is a fact about born agains. By the way it is Rocco himself that brings his religion to the forefront. So maybe you should tell him that is wrong also.

Just smile, nod, and change the subject.....

What are everyone's thoughts on Nick Schmaltz? Risk of CHL? Jordan is very much improved this year. Is he going to stick around another year to play with him?

I asked Schloss in the herald chat last week and he thought Mantha would probably play another year in the USHL. He thought the guys that will be in for sure next year are forwards Schmaltz, Olson, and Simonson, D Poolman, and G Johnson. He said the questionable ones will be Gersich, Poganski, and Wilkie but if any of them come I would guess it would be Gersich. Also wonder about some who have been committed but not really produced like Voltin and Rowe and if they will ever make it to UND.

I've wondered if these two, along with Charlie Pelnik, will ever make it to campus. They all can play another year of juniors with Voltin and Pelnik still eligible for two more I believe. It seems like these three have been committed forever.

Its a fact? Or is that just your perception?

I understand the religion comment, but if you've ever seen or heard an interview with Rocco you'd think otherwise. He has a tendency to be too hard on himself. And considering his commitment after his injury and red shirt, I would believe his work ethic is right up there where it needs to be.

ST. PAUL ā€” Rocco Grimaldi was projectedbymany to be a low first-round selection in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but slipped to the second round on Saturday morning where the Florida Panthers selected him at No. 33 overall.

"Sometimes you think something's going to happen one way but that's not what God has for you. I'm totally fine with that," he said.

Overt religious references weren't prevalent among the prospects in the Xcel Energy Center interview room, but Rocco Grimaldi isn't your typical NHL prospect when it comes to matters of faith.

The Anaheim, Calif. native is a devout Christian who has voiced a desire to become a pastor. His Twitter feed (@rgrimaldi23) is filled with messages of inspiration and gospel passages; including this tweet after the NHL Draft's first round on Friday:

"Let me encourage you this morning. When something doesn't go the way you think it's going to go, praise God even more. Just know that He is up to something bigger and greater than you can imagine (Ephesians 3:20)"

Grimaldi said his use of social media to profess his beliefs isn't something he plans on changing if and when he makes the NHL.

"I think [Twitter and Facebook] are a way to spread the Gospel. I try to put positive messages out there, and keep my head up," he said. "Like last night. It was a little disappointment for me, but I came back with my head held high. That can be a good example for people going through hard times, that it's going to work out in the end." http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-wp8027

I stand by my post.

He has not shown anything yet that would get him a spot in the AHL. By the way how many 2nd round picks have never even made it to the AHL?

You also claimed that Kristo would be spending 80%+ of his time in the ECHL and is a long shot to ever play in the NHL. Not a great track record as an elite hockey mind.

You also claimed that Kristo would be spending 80%+ of his time in the ECHL. Not a great track record as an elite hockey mind.

And you had him starting in the NHL. Not a great track record as an elite hockey mind. He is not the only one all the elite hockey minds here had playing in the NHL. Over the next couple of years we will see after his 2 year contract runs out.

Just smile, nod, and change the subject.....

What are everyone's thoughts on Nick Schmaltz? Risk of CHL? Jordan is very much improved this year. Is he going to stick around another year to play with him?

Schmaltz, to me, is not a 100% lock. If he creeps into the top 15 I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If J. Schaltz stays for next year I think there would be a much better chance of Nick coming. If J. Schmaltz leaves I would think there would be a strong chance Nick goes to the CHL for two years.

And you had him starting in the NHL.

Nice try. Never once said where I thought Kristo would play but I disagreed that he would be stuck in the ECHL. You were quite certain of it:

Kristo will be in one of 2 places now. San Antonio or Cincinnati. He can put his passport away.

Then he will either end up in Hamilton or Wheeling. Maybe finish the year in Hamilton but next year he will be riding a bus around playing for Wheeling. OK let the crap fly but I will bump this post up next fall when he is in Wheeling. That is unless they change their ECHL affiliate.

That is hilarious. Rocco will never play in the NHL. Knight? Never. Kristo? Long shot.

That is where he will play next year. He will see a little AHL time but 80%+ will be in the E.