SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

51 minutes ago, as15 said:

I think it would be beneficial to the programs long term health if we do indeed have one early departure on defense.  Developing players that are ready for the NHL after 2-3 years at UND is a big draw for recruits.  There are reinforcements coming year after year.  If everyone returns, we'd have a starting six of Kiersted, JBD, Tychonick, Bast, Sanderson, and Frisch.  Will Kleven or Moore come in to sit on the bench all season?  In my mind Kiersted is ready to move on (probably a better NHL prospect than Poolman at this point), and JBD is pretty close.  I could definitely see JBD coming back another year to be the clear cut #1 guy.  Right now an argument can be made that he is anywhere from the #1 to #3 d on this team.  A top pairing of Sanderson-JBD next year could be pretty unreal.

T. Poolman and Wolanin played forward at various points, and with the extra man available now there's room for 7 defensemen. Moore and Tychonick are likely candidates for D playing up.

44 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Who said they will sit? Did anyone think Frisch would be a mainstay on the blueline this season? Plus, the extra skater helps depth. I don't think losing Kierstad or JBD is a good thing, whatsoever, for the team. You come to UND, you aren't guaranteed anything. Gotta earn the ice time.

If they don't sit, then that means one of Kiersted, JBD, Tychonick, Bast, Sanderson, and Frisch will be sitting.  That is not good for anyone.  I said losing them "would be beneficial to the programs long term health".  If I am the Ottawa Senators, and JBD is NHL ready after two years at UND, I am pushing alot of my prospects to look at going there.  If I am an undrafted free agent defenseman (ala Kiersted), and I am offered an NHL contract after 3 three years at UND, that is one heck of a pat on the back for UND's development system.  

If player is a ready for the NHL, I say go.  Having successful NHL players is UND's best recruiting tool.  

9 minutes ago, as15 said:

If they don't sit, then that means one of Kiersted, JBD, Tychonick, Bast, Sanderson, and Frisch will be sitting.  That is not good for anyone.  I said losing them "would be beneficial to the programs long term health".  If I am the Ottawa Senators, and JBD is NHL ready after two years at UND, I am pushing alot of my prospects to look at going there.  If I am an undrafted free agent defenseman (ala Kiersted), and I am offered an NHL contract after 3 three years at UND, that is one heck of a pat on the back for UND's development system.  

If player is a ready for the NHL, I say go.  Having successful NHL players is UND's best recruiting tool.  

I could see Bast, Tychonick, Moore, and Kleven absolutely battling for those last two to three spots and I do not see that as a problem. Sure, you push your prospects to go here, but guys like these four aren't 2 year college players. 

Definitely get where you're coming from, but I don't believe Moore or Kleven would be put off by the idea of having to battle for ice time. And if they are, I'd be questioning their work ethic. Every player who comes to UND was the best player on their team at some point. Gotta earn the ice. 

I agree that developing NHL talent is a massive part of our recruiting, but so is winning national championships. Keeping Kierstad and JBD helps that possibility. 

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

T. Poolman and Wolanin played forward at various points, and with the extra man available now there's room for 7 defensemen. Moore and Tychonick are likely candidates for D playing up.

Definitely an option, but not ideal.  If a player is recruited as a dman, develop him to be a dman.  Poolman was moved up due to lack of depth at forward, plus he had aged out of juniors at that point.

Wolanin and Shaw basically split time as freshmen.  They were fighting for the 6/7 spot on the 15-16 team.  Both of them got into a game every weekend.  If everyone comes back, Moore, Frisch, and Kleven are all fighting for the last dman spot.  Definitely not ideal, and if I'm a high pick like Kleven will be, I'm looking to play elsewhere.

@as15 I've had the same line of thinking in the past. My fears were more focused on potentially losing recruits which lead to I wouldn't say hoping someone leaves early, but in a way kind of. Keep the pipeline flowing. I've done a complete 180 in recent years. Hypothetically if the choice was between keeping a proven commodity for one more year or potentially lose a solid recruit, I would take the proven commodity for one more year. The more competition the better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, as15 said:

Definitely an option, but not ideal.  If a player is recruited as a dman, develop him to be a dman.  Poolman was moved up due to lack of depth at forward, plus he had aged out of juniors at that point.

Wolanin and Shaw basically split time as freshmen.  They were fighting for the 6/7 spot on the 15-16 team.  Both of them got into a game every weekend.  If everyone comes back, Moore, Frisch, and Kleven are all fighting for the last dman spot.  Definitely not ideal, and if I'm a high pick like Kleven will be, I'm looking to play elsewhere.

If they don't want to come in here and work for a spot, what does that say about their character?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, as15 said:

Really? I would say absolutely ideal. The more talent the deeper the talent, is what every team wants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

@as15 I've had the same line of thinking in the past. My fears were more focused on potentially losing recruits which lead to I wouldn't say hoping someone leaves early, but in a way kind of. Keep the pipeline flowing. I've done a complete 180 in recent years. Hypothetically if the choice was between keeping a proven commodity for one more year or potentially lose a solid recruit, I would take the proven commodity for one more year. The more competition the better. 

Spot on. Again, Ryder Donovan would be in a suit nearly every night this season. He made his choice and I wish him luck. 

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

If they don't want to come in here and work for a spot, what does that say about their character?

I'm more worried about what an NHL team that invests a 2nd round pick in Kleven thinks about seeing 5 proven NCAA defensemen, and his NTDP teammate (Sanderson) in front of him on the depth chart.  

1 minute ago, as15 said:

I'm more worried about what an NHL team that invests a 2nd round pick in Kleven thinks about seeing 5 proven NCAA defensemen, and his NTDP teammate (Sanderson) in front of him on the depth chart.  

My guess is that team that drafts him sees that UND knows what they are doing because we have 5 proven NCAA defensemen and his NTDP teammate in front of him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, as15 said:

Kleven is from Fargo, and his dad is from Bismarck. Can't imagine we'd lose him. Frankly, it's a good problem to have such a loaded pipeline. Let it work itself out.

1 minute ago, as15 said:

Yep, totally agree.  I just don't want a scenario where everyone comes back in 20-21.  That offseason, we lose Kiersted, Bast,  and Tychonick + JBD, early,.  Then in 21-22 we have a team with Frisch and Sanderson, and either freshman, or sophomores that barely played the year prior.  Just trying to avoid that. 

I mean, if we are coming off our 10th national championship at the end of 20-21, none of us will care who leaves anyway so it's all probably a moot point.

You kidding? We'll be back-to-back champs and people will be pissed if we don't get the third ;)

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I could see Bast, Tychonick, Moore, and Kleven absolutely battling for those last two to three spots and I do not see that as a problem. Sure, you push your prospects to go here, but guys like these four aren't 2 year college players. 

Definitely get where you're coming from, but I don't believe Moore or Kleven would be put off by the idea of having to battle for ice time. And if they are, I'd be questioning their work ethic. Every player who comes to UND was the best player on their team at some point. Gotta earn the ice. 

I agree that developing NHL talent is a massive part of our recruiting, but so is winning national championships. Keeping Kierstad and JBD helps that possibility. 

https://bchl.ca/stats/player/5825/40/cooper-moore

Don't know how accurate this is being that I believe Moore signed his letter, but this shows him coming 2021-2022.   Don't think him signing the letter this year means it is set in stone.   It seems we haven't had all of our defensemen healthy that much this year, and it seems like that is quite common.  Doesn't hurt to have that extra depth so you can send messages like Berry did to Bast last weekend after he took a penalty to put us down two men on the penalty kill.  

21 hours ago, petey23 said:

If everyone comes back next year on the blue line I would see our playing time battle shaking out as JBD, Kierstad, Sanderson, and Kleven as the top 4 and Frisch, Bast, and Tychonick battling for the other 2 spots.

Isn’t Miller coming in too?  Pretty bad log jam from what I can see.  Tychonick won’t be out, he’s above kleven. I’m betting Kiersted and/or JBD leaves.  Our D will be shook up, but still very very skilled.

I wouldn’t think we’d see Miller next year unless two leave early. My guess is it’s Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, Miller, Bast in that order. Guess you could make the Miller > Moore argument. Although a year younger Miller will have one more year of Juniors under his belt, more International experience and will be higher draft pick. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with this. Its one of the main reasons UMD was able to go back to back as they had players that stayed. I do feel the 2017 team, had a few players stayed, we could of made a serious run for back to back as well. As we know they didn’t and the rest is history. 

Speaking of Mitchell Miller, he has an absurd 12 points (3G 9A) in his past 6 games. 5-17-22 (34 games) for the year. Ranked 44th by Central Scouting NA in their mid-year rankings. Talk about making your case for next year. There could be an argument that he should be the #2 dman coming in next year after Sanderson. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

Speaking of Mitchell Miller, he has an absurd 12 points (3G 9A) in his past 6 games. 5-17-22 (34 games) for the year. Ranked 44th by Central Scouting NA in their mid-year rankings. Talk about making your case for next year. There could be an argument that he should be the #2 dman coming in next year after Sanderson. 

For sure there is a case for him, but depending on who may or may not leave early, offense shouldn’t be a problem from the back end, so it may come down to who they think will help with the loss of Poolman in a shutdown type of role. Don’t know who that would be though, as they all are ranked pretty high for the draft.

10 hours ago, AJS said:

I wouldn’t think we’d see Miller next year unless two leave early. My guess is it’s Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, Miller, Bast in that order. Guess you could make the Miller > Moore argument. Although a year younger Miller will have one more year of Juniors under his belt, more International experience and will be higher draft pick. 

I’d put miller above potentially.  Miller has been on a year lately.  His number look decent and in a much harder league than the BCHL. He keeps this up he’ll raise his draft stock considerably.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Was trying to bring that argument up...your post was written better.  We’ll see how his season wraps up.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

All 3 played in the showcase game and while Sanderson and Kleven were on the better team and the team that plays together all year they were also far and away the best 2 players on the ice that night and it was basically a coin flip between them for the game MVP. If someone leaves early it is nice to have an option like Miller to bring in.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2020-nhl-draft/2020-nhl-draft-all-american-prospects-game/

interesting article.