SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm not following this. Toews was underage, but Parise / Oshie were true freshman, just like Frisch, Pinto, Blaisdell and Caulfield are from this years team. 

A freshman class based off of YOB is my nightmare scenario. Halliday is off to a slow start, not saying he doesn't need another year, but I bet you lose him if he gets delayed. No way Bowen gets delayed

I’m really high on Bowen, actually, according to my trusty eye test. He’s on pace to shatter his point total from last season. 

Just now, AJS said:

That's true, but what current recruit has a situation even close to Pinto's when he committed / where they are currently? 

Not necessarily a comment on any one recruit, honestly. Just overall. I'm one to trust the process because I do believe our coaches can recruit well. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not necessarily a comment on any one recruit, honestly. Just overall. I'm one to trust the process because I do believe our coaches can recruit well. 

I agree with this mostly, but my major concern is still (this goes back to the current Senior class), what happens when a local player doesn't develop as expected. Berry has shown he's capable of cutting ties with players, but not local ones. 

Just now, AJS said:

I agree with this mostly, but my major concern is still (this goes back to the current Senior class), what happens when a local player doesn't develop as expected. Berry has shown he's capable of cutting ties with players, but not local ones. 

Which ones are you worried about, most? Randklev? 

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Which ones are you worried about, most? Randklev? 

Costello currently more than anyone, but yes, Randklev as well as Montgomery. Although not local, you can add Schmaltz to the mix. As I said earlier, it's not that any one individually couldn't have a role, but that's four players who can't score in Juniors. That's just the local ones, there are other role type players (i.e. Ness, Portz). I see more role players than guys that can get points and that's a concern. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Costello currently more than anyone, but yes, Randklev as well as Montgomery. Although not local, you can add Schmaltz to the mix. As I said earlier, it's not that any one individually couldn't have a role, but that's four players who can't score in Juniors. That's just the local ones, there are other role type players (i.e. Ness, Portz). I see more role players than guys that can get points and that's a concern. 

Yeah, Costello never really took off, eh? Randklev, I feel bad for. I think he'll be a good player if he can stay healthy. 

Definitely would like to see a couple higher end forwards coming in, soon, however. 

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

A freshman class based off of YOB is my nightmare scenario. 

Then you're having a nightmare:
This year's freshman class was the oldest YOBs on the recruits list (except for injured Randklev) back-filling open roster slots. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Then you're having a nightmare:
This year's freshman class was the oldest YOBs on the recruits list (except for injured Randklev) back-filling open roster slots. 

I get it, but we both know these are completely different scenarios although you're right, both the oldest YOB's. One the oldest YOB were mostly drafted True Freshman who all proved themselves in Juniors. Next years oldest YOB would be a lot of guys that are maxed out of eligibility. 

Edit: By the way, I don't have a problem with most the guys you listed (Gaber / Budy / Rizzo), where I do worry is that based on YOB they would delay guys like Bowen & Halliday for guys that have proved less in Juniors and are role players, but are just older. This is clearly just speculation anyways. I'm confident we'll see Bowen / Halliday next year. 

The 99s and 2000s will age out of junior eligibility. There's a problem. 

Bowen and Halliday are 2002s. They'd better show they are truly special to come in at 18. (For every Jon Toews there's a Michael Forney.) 

As I stare at this more, I wonder more about Randklev, Costello, and Mancinelli.
I say that because I started pondering not 2020, but 2021 forward in total (now to then): Need 9, but which 9 from the pipeline. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm not following this. Toews was underage, but Parise / Oshie were true freshman, just like Frisch, Pinto, Blaisdell and Caulfield are from this years team. 

A freshman class based off of YOB is my nightmare scenario. Halliday is off to a slow start, not saying he doesn't need another year, but I bet you lose him if he gets delayed. No way Bowen gets delayed. 

I agree with the Stephen Halliday assessment. I believe the kid would look elsewhere if delayed

7 hours ago, AJS said:

Montgomery is an 02 playing in the USHL, that’s very tough.  Not sure why he didn’t go BC or NA.  Either way not worried there.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Montgomery is an 02 playing in the USHL, that’s very tough.  Not sure why he didn’t go BC or NA.  Either way not worried there.

Wasn’t he playing somewhere else last season and then he got called up to Waterloo and just ended up sticking there? I thought I read something like that last season. 

A few ways of thinking about the commitments of a few older guys last year, Gaber, Ness and Budy.  At the time, I wondered if they were trying to go more the Mankato route and get a little older.  I also thought because of their lack of size that these might be the type of high energy, make-the-right-play guys Duluth has cleaned up with lately.  

Looking at some of the posts above, this situation is also reminiscent of a time a bit ago when UND had some MN high school forwards lined up, but they weren't developing, and so they went home to Alberta and picked up Rodwell and Rowney as older guys.  They were at least big bodies who could check, and the guys who didn't pan out never made it to campus.  Not a bad fall-back call, as Rowney ended up in the NHL.

Could the recent older pick-ups be coming because some of the earlier commitments aren't?  I guess we'll see.

46 minutes ago, jk said:

A few ways of thinking about the commitments of a few older guys last year, Gaber, Ness and Budy.  At the time, I wondered if they were trying to go more the Mankato route and get a little older.  I also thought because of their lack of size that these might be the type of high energy, make-the-right-play guys Duluth has cleaned up with lately.  

Looking at some of the posts above, this situation is also reminiscent of a time a bit ago when UND had some MN high school forwards lined up, but they weren't developing, and so they went home to Alberta and picked up Rodwell and Rowney as older guys.  They were at least big bodies who could check, and the guys who didn't pan out never made it to campus.  Not a bad fall-back call, as Rowney ended up in the NHL.

Could the recent older pick-ups be coming because some of the earlier commitments aren't?  I guess we'll see.

Let’s also not forget that UND has a history of guys that were not highly sought after, that were cornerstones to Championship teams.  Yes, they were supplemented with some high end players, but sometimes those guys became the high end players while highly touted recruits didn’t pan out.  Guys like Panzer, Sykes, Henderson, Gaarder, Caggiula, and even Sanderson have been huge at tournament time.  Some of these guys are probably similar to these guys in that they won’t be starting out with high scholarship dollars, some maybe only books, so they will need to prove themselves to gain more scholarship money. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Let’s also not forget that UND has a history of guys that were not highly sought after, that were cornerstones to Championship teams.  Yes, they were supplemented with some high end players, but sometimes those guys became the high end players while highly touted recruits didn’t pan out.  Guys like Panzer, Sykes, Henderson, Gaarder, Caggiula, and even Sanderson have been huge at tournament time.  Some of these guys are probably similar to these guys in that they won’t be starting out with high scholarship dollars, some maybe only books, so they will need to prove themselves to gain more scholarship money. 

I was pretty young but man, Phil Sykes, after what he accomplished, wasn’t highly sought after?? He’s a legend! 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, The Sicatoka said:

The 99s and 2000s will age out of junior eligibility. There's a problem. 

Bowen and Halliday are 2002s. They'd better show they are truly special to come in at 18. (For every Jon Toews there's a Michael Forney.) 

As I stare at this more, I wonder more about Randklev, Costello, and Mancinelli.
I say that because I started pondering not 2020, but 2021 forward in total (now to then): Need 9, but which 9 from the pipeline. 

Mancinelli isn’t coming here anymore.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, AJS said:

You can add Randklev to the locals ties have been cut with