SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 11/2/2019 at 12:33 PM, mattim said:

What ever happened to Christian Cake-eater, cant remember his name.

Playing DIII at Concordia.  Spent 2 years at Niagra and had 8 points in 32 games.  1 of those points was a goal.   Saw him play a few times with the Force and remember thinking this guy will never make it to UND.  Never stood out and didn't really progress much at all while in Fargo.  

On 11/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, tnt said:

Go to page 199 of this thread and read about another recruit that didn’t put up huge points.  I thought that guy was going to be a role player.  Not that you don’t need role players, but we tend to pigeon hole players based on their stats.  Players develop at different paces.  Great role players are essential for great teams. You are exactly right, you never know!

Wow that's a great callback haha in other words, don't get too high or too low on a commit. The coaches saw something with Pinto and they were 100% right.

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ya, he must be out. Wouldn’t be the worst decommit in the world but we need a big commit here soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of a purge / re-evaluation of the current Forward recruiting scope. Although it's early, to say I'm concerned about the current group of USHL forwards would be an understatement. It's been an absolute nightmare of a start, nobody can score. 

Who do we feel comfortable with right now for next year?

BCHL: Budy (lighting it up as expected), Bowen / Rizzo (hopefully will increase their production, but have ok numbers so far).

USHL: Halliday (been a disappointment so far, but has talent) / Gaber (Solid overager)

After those five you kind of have an avalanche of guys who I would say are pretty interchangeable. 

Lose: Bowen / Michaud / Smith / Yon / Johnson

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of a purge / re-evaluation of the current Forward recruiting scope. Although it's early, to say I'm concerned about the current group of USHL forwards would be an understatement. It's been an absolute nightmare of a start, nobody can score. 

BCHL: Budy (lighting it up as expected), Bowen / Rizzo (hopefully will increase their production, but have ok numbers so far).

USHL: Halliday (been a disappointment so far, but has talent) / Gaber (Solid overager)

After those five you kind of have an avalanche of guys who I would say are pretty interchangeable. 

Budy, Rizzo, Gaber and Bowen are all guys I’m comfortable with bringing in. Other than that, it’s a crapshoot for me. 

Additionally,  not to sound like an a-hole, but I think UND needs to cut ties with some of the non-producing forwards in the pipeline soon or we’re going to have another class like this year’s senior class of forwards. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Budy, Rizzo, Gaber and Bowen are all guys I’m comfortable with bringing in. Other than that, it’s a crapshoot for me. 

Additionally,  not to sound like an a-hole, but I think UND needs to cut ties with some of the non-producing forwards in the pipeline soon or we’re going to have another class like this year’s senior class of forwards. 

I had posted some of this in another thread.

I put an asterisk next to those you would like to bring in as I agree they are likely. If we bring in those 4 we would have room for 1 more if we do not have any early departures. Randklev, Costello, and Ness are in their last year of juniors I believe so at least two of them would be looking for another school. I am guessing we told Mancinelli that we might not have room for him next year and he decided to look elsewhere. Ness is a recent commit so not sure where that leaves the 2 local kids Randklev and Costello?

Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen, Westin Michaud, Cole Smith, Casey Johnson all graduate. Only 1 or 2 early departures possible?

These guys are slated to come in next year.

*Brendan Budy--2000 birthdate, 1 year of college(DU), ages out of Juniors I believe

Griffin Ness--turns 20 in December...out of Junior options

*Riese Gaber--just turned 20...last year of juniors

Dane Montgomery--2002 birthdate...probably delays if necessary

Stephen Halliday--2002 birthdate...could delay

*Massimo Rizzo--2001 birthdate, 7th round draft pick,,,has battled injuries. could delay

Carter Randklev---turns 20 in a couple weeks...currently still coming back from injuries with The Force...out of options

Jackson Kunz--2002 birthdate...often injured...could delay

*Ethan Bowen--2002 birthdate

Braden Costello--turns 20 in the spring, out of options...off to a decent start in BCHL

Michael Mancinelli--2001 birthdate, could delay

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Agreed, that’s how noticed mancinelli.  Sorting through commits. None are doing that well outside of Budy (who is performing as expected).

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

I had posted some of this in another thread.

I put an asterisk next to those you would like to bring in as I agree they are likely. If we bring in those 4 we would have room for 1 more if we do not have any early departures. Randklev, Costello, and Ness are in their last year of juniors I believe so at least two of them would be looking for another school. I am guessing we told Mancinelli that we might not have room for him next year and he decided to look elsewhere. Ness is a recent commit so not sure where that leaves the 2 local kids Randklev and Costello?

Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen, Westin Michaud, Cole Smith, Casey Johnson all graduate. Only 1 or 2 early departures possible?

These guys are slated to come in next year.

*Brendan Budy--2000 birthdate, 1 year of college(DU), ages out of Juniors I believe

Griffin Ness--turns 20 in December...out of Junior options

*Riese Gaber--just turned 20...last year of juniors

Dane Montgomery--2002 birthdate...probably delays if necessary

Stephen Halliday--2002 birthdate...could delay

*Massimo Rizzo--2001 birthdate, 7th round draft pick,,,has battled injuries. could delay

Carter Randklev---turns 20 in a couple weeks...currently still coming back from injuries with The Force...out of options

Jackson Kunz--2002 birthdate...often injured...could delay

*Ethan Bowen--2002 birthdate

Braden Costello--turns 20 in the spring, out of options...off to a decent start in BCHL

Michael Mancinelli--2001 birthdate, could delay

Costello off to a decent start?

4 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think Petey initially posted that weeks ago in another thread , but even then it was a stretch, to say the least. Costello has 6 points this season and hasn’t played since October 30th. 

It did look a little better when he had 6 points in 11 or 12 games.

I'm the guy that says look at the YOB (year of birth).
Unless a guy is a  Toews/Parise/Oshie type you won't see them underage.
Players we've been bringing in are at least 18 upon arrival and probably 19 early in the season (e.g. Frisch). 

1999: Randklev, Gaber, Ness
2000: Budy, Costello, Portz
2001: Rizzo, Mancinelli, Schmaltz 

As has been noted there are five forward departures (Bowen, Michaud, Smith, Yon, Johnson). 

Randklev is very slow recovering and that is concerning. Costello is showing in the BCHL what he showed in the USHL (which is disappointing). Mancinelli is reportedly now decommitted. 

That leads me to believe that the most likely five are Gaber, Ness, Budy, Portz, and Rizzo. (If Randklev gets it going maybe Rizzo stays in juniors another season.) 

If they need a sixth (via early departure) and assuming Rizzo in, it's a healthy Randklev or maybe Costello, or Schmaltz. 

15 hours ago, AJS said:

To expand on this a little, what I'm nervous about right now is looking at @petey23 list with their ages / eligibility. Outside of Budy and lets say Gaber (possibly Ness), have the others shown enough in Juniors? I don't want to start the same argument about what about player X, he didn't score and look what he did in college. This isn't a shot at anyone individually. Just like as critical I've been with the current Senior group, it's nobody individually, I know there's roles for everyone. The problem Berry got into, is you start stacking depth players in one class and it becomes a complete disaster. 

I might be optimistic, but I don't think they'll lose any forwards early. I just don't see where all of these players fit. I have my fingers crossed that Berry has learned from the current Senior class and he's out recruiting, making the hard decisions on next years class. It doesn't work out sometimes with players unfortunately. 

Here's one for all y'all to ponder:

Fall of 2021 the defense could be ...junior Ethan Frisch and seven sophomores and freshmen. 

Yes, Poolman, Peski, Bast, Rieger, Kierstad all graduate; JBD (first rounder) could jump after a junior year, as could Tychonick. 

Best case is JBD, Tychonick, and Frisch plus five. 

I'd say most likely is Tychonick, Frisch, and six. 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

To expand on this a little, what I'm nervous about right now is looking at @petey23 list with their ages / eligibility. Outside of Budy and lets say Gaber (possibly Ness), have the others shown enough in Juniors? I don't want to start the same argument about what about player X, he didn't score and look what he did in college. This isn't a shot at anyone individually. Just like as critical I've been with the current Senior group, it's nobody individually, I know there's roles for everyone. The problem Berry got into, is you start stacking depth players in one class and it becomes a complete disaster. 

I might be optimistic, but I don't think they'll lose any forwards early. I just don't see where all of these players fit. I have my fingers crossed that Berry has learned from the current Senior class and he's out recruiting, making the hard decisions on next years class. It doesn't work out sometimes with players unfortunately. 

When we had the Caggjula, Schmaltz, Boesser magic and won #8 I was almost positive that recruiting studs up front going forward would be a big positive for our program.  I'm not sure how it turned into an area of concern just a few years out.  Berry needs to up his recruiting chops.

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm the guy that says look at the YOB (year of birth).
Unless a guy is a  Toews/Parise/Oshie type you won't see them underage.
Players we've been bringing in are at least 18 upon arrival and probably 19 early in the season (e.g. Frisch). 

1999: Randklev, Gaber, Ness
2000: Budy, Costello, Portz
2001: Rizzo, Mancinelli, Schmaltz 

As has been noted there are five forward departures (Bowen, Michaud, Smith, Yon, Johnson). 

Randklev is very slow recovering and that is concerning. Costello is showing in the BCHL what he showed in the USHL (which is disappointing). Mancinelli is reportedly now decommitted. 

That leads me to believe that the most likely five are Gaber, Ness, Budy, Portz, and Rizzo. (If Randklev gets it going maybe Rizzo stays in juniors another season.) 

If they need a sixth (via early departure) and assuming Rizzo in, it's a healthy Randklev or maybe Costello, or Schmaltz. 

I'm not following this. Toews was underage, but Parise / Oshie were true freshman, just like Frisch, Pinto, Blaisdell and Caulfield are from this years team. 

A freshman class based off of YOB is my nightmare scenario. Halliday is off to a slow start, not saying he doesn't need another year, but I bet you lose him if he gets delayed. No way Bowen gets delayed. 

1 minute ago, Irish said:

When we had the Caggjula, Schmaltz, Boesser magic and won #8 I was almost positive that recruiting studs up front going forward would be a big positive for our program.  I'm not sure how it turned into an area of concern just a few years out.  Berry needs to up his recruiting chops.

Remember.... everyone thought Pinto was a meh recruit, initially...

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits