SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

7 hours ago, AJS said:

Costello: 

as a GF native, it's a safe bet he doesn't need a scholarship; it's undoubtedly yanked if it was ever offered. He just needs to prove he can hang at D1 and isn't a waste of a roster spot. Play with heart in front of your friends and family at the Ralph, not a bad way to spend a few years!

The BCHL Showcase Festival is happening this week/weekend. A little different than the USHL as they don't have their Showcase the first weekend of their season.

Chilliwack still plays tonight, but so far some big numbers for UND recruits.

Bowen (1 Game) - 4 Assists  (5G 6A 11Pts - 9GP)

Moore (1 Game) - 2 Goals   (6G 2A 8Pts - 9GP)

Budy (2 Games) - 1 G 5A (3G 10A 13Pts - 10GP)

Who would have thought Moore (Defenseman) would be leading this trio in goals so far? Very impressive start for him being the other two have Junior experience. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago, this trio will be fun to track this year (as well as Rizzo when he gets healthy). 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AJS said:

The BCHL Showcase Festival is happening this week/weekend. A little different than the USHL as they don't have their Showcase the first weekend of their season.

Chilliwack still plays tonight, but so far some big numbers for UND recruits.

Bowen (1 Game) - 4 Assists  (5G 6A 11Pts - 9GP)

Moore (1 Game) - 2 Goals   (6G 2A 8Pts - 9GP)

Budy (2 Games) - 1 G 5A (3G 10A 13Pts - 10GP)

Who would have thought Moore (Defenseman) would be leading this trio in goals so far? Very impressive start for him being the other two have Junior experience. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago, this trio will be fun to track this year (as well as Rizzo when he gets healthy). 

Rizzo returned to action for the first time of the year last night, registered an Assist.

Bowen with 1G 1A in that game as well. 

23 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's going to be one big cluster trying to figure out which D-men come to campus next year! I have to imagine any of the ones that get pushed back will be looking to go elsewhere.  Sanderson, Kleven, Miller, Reid, Moore and Bast could all be ready for college hockey next year and we lose only Poolman and Peski for sure and possibly JBD.

8 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

It's going to be one big cluster trying to figure out which D-men come to campus next year! I have to imagine any of the ones that get pushed back will be looking to go elsewhere.  Sanderson, Kleven, Miller, Reid, Moore and Bast could all be ready for college hockey next year and we lose only Poolman and Peski for sure and possibly JBD.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, that's for sure! It's a good problem to have, clearly, but the coaches will really have to earn their paychecks trying to navigate this. One of the "problems" is Sanderson is just a Junior this year, but being a potential 1st rounder, it's definitely either accelerate or lose him. 

Early prediction: Poolman / Peski (Graduate), Kierstad and JBD sign early. You bring in Bast / Moore / Sanderson / Kleven. Hope Miller / Reid are ok delaying for one year, which honestly if they are 3rd round picks or lower (which is probably likely), that's not too big of a stretch they do. 

On 10/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, AJS said:

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, that's for sure! It's a good problem to have, clearly, but the coaches will really have to earn their paychecks trying to navigate this. One of the "problems" is Sanderson is just a Junior this year, but being a potential 1st rounder, it's definitely either accelerate or lose him. 

Early prediction: Poolman / Peski (Graduate), Kierstad and JBD sign early. You bring in Bast / Moore / Sanderson / Kleven. Hope Miller / Reid are ok delaying for one year, which honestly if they are 3rd round picks or lower (which is probably likely), that's not too big of a stretch they do. 

Kiersted leaving???

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He’s been brought up as a potential free agent target. I’ve heard Schlossman mention it a few times on podcasts over the offseason. 

Don't know if he’ll stay or leave though. 

Sure.  Had a decent season last year.  Solid player but until he has a great  season I wouldn’t jump.  Theres just no reason to rush anymore. 

29 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup. No argument here. Too many good players have been rushed to the pros before they are ready. 

Yep.  Getting (and staying) in the show is so tough. The AHL is a beast.  You better be dominating NCAA before leaving early. Too many good players in the minors waiting to get the call up. I really like Kiersted, bit he isn’t dominating yet and he isn’t very old.

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yep.  Getting (and staying) in the show is so tough. The AHL is a beast.  You better be dominating NCAA before leaving early. Too many good players in the minors waiting to get the call up. I really like Kiersted, bit he isn’t dominating yet and he isn’t very old.

I wonder sometimes if some of these kids are so miserable with the academic part of school, that they are happier plodding along in the "A" or even the "E".  Not saying that's the case with Kiersted at all, more of a general comment.   

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

I wonder sometimes if some of these kids are so miserable with the academic part of school, that they are happier plodding along in the "A" or even the "E".  Not saying that's the case with Kiersted at all, more of a general comment.   

Well no one really enjoys school. But I know schools and the programs really try to help out in that department. The players try to get classes together and tutors come to the arena. I think it's the money more than anything. When you get that offer you worry it may not be there next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

I'm sure it's pretty glamorous for these kids to think about ditching the books to get paid to pay hockey. I feel like all of them realize, especially a fairly well thought of player like Kierstad, that they can skip Munski's 8 am lecture and make 90K a year playing a sport. With that said, I don't necessarily think UND's academics are that vigorous, in general, so I'd assume most leave because they think they are ready to make that pro jump and not because of academic stress. Kierstad could absolutely play in the AHL after this season. The NHL? We'll see. If he makes another jump like he did last year, he'll absolutely have a lot of pro offers.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sure it's pretty glamorous for these kids to think about ditching the books to get paid to pay hockey. I feel like all of them realize, especially a fairly well thought of player like Kierstad, that they can skip Munski's 8 am lecture and make 90K a year playing a sport. With that said, I don't necessarily think UND's academics are that vigorous, in general, so I'd assume most leave because they think they are ready to make that pro jump and not because of academic stress. Kierstad could absolutely play in the AHL after this season. The NHL? We'll see. If he makes another jump like he did last year, he'll absolutely have a lot of pro offers.

Who skips Munski's 8 am lecture?  He brings doughnuts!

6 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Nobody is happy,  plodding along in the E.

So I just watched the new episode of Through these Doors and it was about some of our new guys getting drafted. Anyone know the story about Pinto? He’s a New York kid so how and why did he end up at UND? -I would’ve assumed a high end kid from out east would’ve ended up at BC, BU, Harvard, etc.? 

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So I just watched the new episode of Through these Doors and it was about some of our new guys getting drafted. Anyone know the story about Pinto? He’s a New York kid so how and why did he end up at UND? -I would’ve assumed a high end kid from out east would’ve ended up at BC, BU, Harvard, etc.? 

He actually wasn’t a major prospect when he was being recruited. He’s a late bloomer that only started playing hockey seriously a few years ago. No one had heard of him when he committed. I vividly remember the reaction on this board :lol:

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits