SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Now Panzer will get to watch his kid get whooped up on by Central and RR. I see where his mind is at, but ND east region is pretty much in line with A MN hockey in my opinon, especially the teams that EGF plays on a regular schedule. The only place they'll see a higher level of competition and exposure is at the state tournament...if they make it. And also when they cross the river to get beat by the Grand Forks schools. 

The A MN hockey teams of the north aren't what they used to be. I'd much rather have my kid play Grafton, Fargo Davies, Minot, and Bismarck than Crookston, and today's TRF, Warroad and LOW teams who are no longer elite, and are actually a step behind some of these top ND teams. Devils Lake and Minot go into warroad and walk all over them every year in that Holiday tournament. 

He'd have higher skilled teammates at Central, and he'd play fewer garbage teams on his ND schedule than he would on his EGF schedule. On the other hand he'll get to play some higher caliber teams like Moorhead, St. Cloud and maybe a TC or iron range team in non conference play. Any of those higher caliber teams are still at the a small step behind the skill and tradition of Central. 

Wish him the best, but in my opinion I think it's unnecessary and just gives off a bad attitude vibe.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Dont have to risk dying a frozen death in a snow filled ditch a few miles outside of bumfart ND in a blizzard tho either.

Haha...you got that right!  There is high quality hockey down here, but only a couple AAA teams.  It’s a different model.  Costs a lot more.  Competition is all great, but you travel.  

7 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Now Panzer will get to watch his kid get whooped up on by Central and RR. I see where his mind is at, but ND east region is pretty much in line with A MN hockey in my opinon, especially the teams that EGF plays on a regular schedule. The only place they'll see a higher level of competition and exposure is at the state tournament...if they make it. And also when they cross the river to get beat by the Grand Forks schools. 

The A MN hockey teams of the north aren't what they used to be. I'd much rather have my kid play Grafton, Fargo Davies, Minot, and Bismarck than Crookston, and today's TRF, Warroad and LOW teams who are no longer elite, and are actually a step behind some of these top ND teams. Devils Lake and Minot go into warroad and walk all over them every year in that Holiday tournament. 

He'd have higher skilled teammates at Central, and he'd play fewer garbage teams on his ND schedule than he would on his EGF schedule. On the other hand he'll get to play some higher caliber teams like Moorhead, St. Cloud and maybe a TC or iron range team in non conference play. Any of those higher caliber teams are still at the a small step behind the skill and tradition of Central. 

Wish him the best, but in my opinion I think it's unnecessary and just gives off a bad attitude vibe.  

Why not just send him to Shattuck if you’re going to do that?  Or send him to the classic lakes conference.

12 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Last year East Side played one of toughest single A schedules in the state. I think they played something like 7 or 8 of the top 10. Add to it the Grand forks schools Moorhead and roseau and couple other AA schools. Crookston is one of the few not so good that they are still playing as they dumped all the others except maybe LOW. Yes warroad and trf haven't been as good the last couple years. Doesn't mean they'll be crap for next 4.

In all honesty while AA section 8 has gotten better in past most of the best teams Moorhead faced were the northern small schools. They and Roseau used to be the only good teams in that section.

My guess is panzer will play couple years and then go juniors.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Agreed, but they should make it and will run into those other teams.  Single A MN is a click above ND east, especially considering two cities make up the entire division.

14 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Why not just send him to Shattuck if you’re going to do that?  Or send him to the classic lakes conference.

In the grand scheme of things, he's still pretty young.  I'd be nervous to send a 16 year old away...let alone a 14 year old.  This makes sense in my brain.

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

East side plays a very tough schedule and he will face much better consistent competition and see much less of the running time blowouts every other game. If he played at Central the only competition he may face would be Red River, maybe a Bismarck team, and maybe a Fargo team, and that is basically all for North Dakota teams. Crookston has had a couple decent years but yeah they're nothing special. Thief River and Warroad would be in the ND state tournament every year even when they are "down". Warroad down 3 of their top 6 players beat Grafton by a couple goals last year. EGF played Orono, Delano, Totino, Cathedral, Alexandria, Greenway, Warroad, Roseau, Bemidji, and Moorhead. A number of those teams could've played in North Dakota and would've probably made it to face Central in the state championship. If Cathedral was in ND no doubt in my mind they would have won the state championship and beat Central.

He'd play less garbage on a ND schedule? Are you serious? EGF plays Park Rapids once and Lake of the Woods once and they have had a few solid teams but generally struggle lately and then they have rival Crookston twice who has gone downhill the last few seasons and Detroit Lakes once and they are pretty up and down and that is pretty much it for struggling teams. Meanwhile in North Dakota you'd get Fargo North, Fargo South, Devils Lake, Sheyenne, Grafton, and West Fargo and I believe all are X2, you could probably throw a couple more teams into this group as well.

It is a good move for a good hockey player that wants to compete at a higher level but not have to leave home. Wouldn't be surprised to see more and more of the higher quality talents start to do this.

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, but they should make it and will run into those other teams.  Single A MN is a click above ND east, especially considering two cities make up the entire division.

EGF should make the state tournament but he will see plenty more competition throughout the season with the schedule East Side plays than he ever would in North Dakota. Warroad should be their top competition in the section this season but TRF always figures it out come playoff time and competes with very good coaching. Look at last years schedule Orono, Delano, Totino, Cathedral, Alexandria, Greenway, Warroad, Roseau, Bemidji, and Moorhead plus a couple with Central and Red River.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

EGF should make the state tournament but he will see plenty more competition throughout the season with the schedule East Side plays than he ever would in North Dakota. Warroad should be their top competition in the section this season but TRF always figures it out come playoff time and competes with very good coaching. Look at last years schedule Orono, Delano, Totino, Cathedral, Alexandria, Greenway, Warroad, Roseau, Bemidji, and Moorhead plus a couple with Central and Red River.

Hard to argue that this isn't a tougher schedule than he would get playing at a ND high school.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Hard to argue that this isn't a tougher schedule than he would get playing at a ND high school.

No doubt a tougher schedule.  It’s so hard, and as a parent of an elite player, it’s crazy hard.  I haven’t seen him play, but if he’s ballpark his old man- whom I played against- he has a legit shot at NTDP, which might be what they are trying to prep for.

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

No doubt a tougher schedule.  It’s so hard, and as a parent of an elite player, it’s crazy hard.  I haven’t seen him play, but if he’s ballpark his old man- whom I played against- he has a legit shot at NTDP, which might be what they are trying to prep for.

I do have to say that I am not a fan of hs kids transferring for athletics.  That's what college is for.

I don't have any experience with being the parent of an elite player but I do as a parent of a good player who was displaced by kids that transferred.   We had 5, 4 and 3 kids transfer to play basketball at my son's grade level during his freshman, sophomore and junior years.  12 new players that weren't there when the local kids were in 8th grade.  That doesn't even count the ones that came in the grades around him.  We had 40 kids playing travel basketball in his 8th grade class with two top playing at the top 'A' level.  By their senior year there was only one still playing and he was on the jv.

Most of those kids didn't move into the district but claimed hardship or faked an address to get in.  I have heard of parents who have had 'marital problems' and the father moves into an apartment in the desired district.  After the child's sports season is done they miraculously reconciled and he moved back into the family home.

That's an extreme example but if one or two come in it has a big impact on one or two local players and their families.

Is section 8 single A tougher than Eastern ND conference?  Maybe by a sliver.  But there are more teams and the experience and exposure is way better. Also, they are probably playing a Moorhead and  few TC teams sprinkled in there. Plus EGF has a solid coach who runs PEP skill work.  How many different Fargo teams do you want to play?  Again, decision seems easy to me.  As I’ve been saying lately, keep ND HS hockey obviously but create a Tier 1 option as well (similar to Sioux Falls power)

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Is section 8 single A tougher than Eastern ND conference?  Maybe by a sliver.  But there are more teams and the experience and exposure is way better. Also, they are probably playing a Moorhead and  few TC teams sprinkled in there. Plus EGF has a solid coach who runs PEP skill work.  How many different Fargo teams do you want to play?  Again, decision seems easy to me.  As I’ve been saying lately, keep ND HS hockey obviously but create a Tier 1 option as well (similar to Sioux Falls power)

The top of 8A is tougher yes but the real question is is EGF's schedule tougher than a EDC and that is a definite yes not even close. EGF only plays the bottom half of 8A teams like a total of 3 times. EGF plays one of the toughest schedules in single A.

12 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I do have to say that I am not a fan of hs kids transferring for athletics.  That's what college is for.

I don't have any experience with being the parent of an elite player but I do as a parent of a good player who was displaced by kids that transferred.   We had 5, 4 and 3 kids transfer to play basketball at my son's grade level during his freshman, sophomore and junior years.  12 new players that weren't there when the local kids were in 8th grade.  That doesn't even count the ones that came in the grades around him.  We had 40 kids playing travel basketball in his 8th grade class with two top playing at the top 'A' level.  By their senior year there was only one still playing and he was on the jv.

Most of those kids didn't move into the district but claimed hardship or faked an address to get in.  I have heard of parents who have had 'marital problems' and the father moves into an apartment in the desired district.  After the child's sports season is done they miraculously reconciled and he moved back into the family home.

That's an extreme example but if one or two come in it has a big impact on one or two local players and their families.

For elite hockey on West Coast, we have kids flying in on weekends!  Tier 1 elite this spring/summer my son had kids on his roster from:  California, Arizona, Texas, and Colorado.  Tryouts had kids from Nevada and Washington too.  It’s really crazy.   

25 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

For elite hockey on West Coast, we have kids flying in on weekends!  Tier 1 elite this spring/summer my son had kids on his roster from:  California, Arizona, Texas, and Colorado.  Tryouts had kids from Nevada and Washington too.  It’s really crazy.   

that's unreal

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

That happens at 8 too I’m afraid.  

Jackson Blake having a heck of a 5 Nations tourney so far.  He’s tiny but very skilled.  I doubt he’ll ever be a bigger guy, however it appears he still has a ton of growing to do.  He looks 12 years old and the rest of the guys look 16-18.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits