SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Regarding some of the draft, gotta remember one of the huge differentiators at the top of the draft is about the competition they've played.  The scouts love them some world junior competition and they love them some major junior competition.  They are also looking for a single specific trait that will make them successful in the NHL.  Boeser had the release, Schmaltz had the vision, Parise had the engine, Toews had the mind and compete, Osh had the "wow" factor.  The fact Pinto rocketed up the draft says a ton about how the scouts started to see his upside.  I'm excited about this year...I think we might actually see some Sioux hockey again!  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

We yanked Rowe's offer after he flirted with going to London. Saying we lost him to Wisconsin is misleading.

Yes. If he doesn't want to be here, so be it. We pulled his offer. He didn't bail.

Kid fell from the 4th-ranked NA goaltender to undrafted. I'm not sure there's much to worry about, here. Good luck to him. Would be fun to light him up, one day ;)

11 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Omaha - UND - Wisconsin.......

London???

However, now 2 high end recruits that sluffed of UND for Wisco.

Its one thing to lose a recruiting battle but recruited players is another.

Maybe these guys weren't UND type guys, maybe they weren't Berry type guys, but Im one more lackluster season away from saying the next decommit is from BEHIND the bench.

People aren't going to miss the two players that went to Wisconsin. I'm willing to take that to the bank. WE pulled the scholly from Rowe, by the way.

Actually UND agreed to release Rowe from his letter of intent.

The "rumor" is that was in relation to an interest in London.

We dont know if the player requested the release or UND initiated.

But,

Correct. If he doesn't want to be here and compete with 2 good tendies, so be it.

I do think he will be a very good goalie at the NCAA level, and beyond.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/goaltender-cameron-rowe-commits-to-wisconsin-badgers-men-s-hockey/article_735d7f99-2297-5240-9187-fc915a76f5f1.html

Reports that the North Dakota coaching staff was concerned about his potential to skip the college route and sign with a major junior team were true, Rowe said, but didn't represent the whole story.

"At the same time that they were worried that I wasn't fully committed to them, I was worried that they weren't fully committed to me, either," Rowe said. "It was a mix, back and forth. Ultimately, it was better for us to part ways."

That doesn't make any sense.  UND got wind that he was sniffing about going to MJ...it should be easy to understand why they were worried.  UND wasn't going to pull his NLI if he hadn't gone searching for MJ options.

Either way, I think we're set in net for a few years, so all is good.  :) 

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/goaltender-cameron-rowe-commits-to-wisconsin-badgers-men-s-hockey/article_735d7f99-2297-5240-9187-fc915a76f5f1.html

That doesn't make any sense.  UND got wind that he was sniffing about going to MJ...it should be easy to understand why they were worried.  UND wasn't going to pull his NLI if he hadn't gone searching for MJ options.

Either way, I think we're set in net for a few years, so all is good.  :) 

Agree, what is it that would make him say that we weren't fully committed to him?  Does he want us to remove any competition he would have in Scheel or Thome?  He probably understands what he looks like when he commits a couple times and is still looking, and wants to make it look like it was mutual this time around.  

48 minutes ago, tnt said:

Agree, what is it that would make him say that we weren't fully committed to him?  Does he want us to remove any competition he would have in Scheel or Thome?  He probably understands what he looks like when he commits a couple times and is still looking, and wants to make it look like it was mutual this time around.  

This... Seems like he saw that he wasn't gonna play for a couple years. 

53 minutes ago, tnt said:

Agree.

I think he saw Thome and more so Scheel being the guys and in reality it probably was best for all parties to explore different directions.

"In the course of discussing his oral commitment to the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team, Cameron Rowe had to clear up two things, one about his past and one about his future."

I'm no Engrish major but would a "verbal" commitment be a better nomenclature???.....

Or is this where we discuss the lengths he will gonro fit in to the locker room in Madison?????

Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

Re Rowe: UND not being fully committed.

If Rowe meant he didn't know if UND was fully committed to bringing him in next year, then yes, I could see that as a valid concern for him. Who knows what this year will bring and you never know with goalies, but I would say it's a valid concern (for him) that neither Scheel or Thome will leave after this year and he gets pushed back another year.

I wish Rowe the best. He's definitely a wild card right now. Because he played at the NTDP, it's easy to compare him to Scheel. Both had mediocre numbers there. Obviously Scheel had a phenomenal year in Juniors after and we all saw what he did last year. We'll see about Rowe. He could go the Scheel route, but we'll see. Looking at his Elite Prospects page, his best season was .900 SV%.

15 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

We yanked Rowe's offer after he flirted with going to London. Saying we lost him to Wisconsin is misleading.

Agreed...but he is going to Des Moines and he is going to Wisco.  He went to London's summer camp and I'm guessing that rubbed Berry the wrong way.

54 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

"In the course of discussing his oral commitment to the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team, Cameron Rowe had to clear up two things, one about his past and one about his future."

I'm no Engrish major but would a "verbal" commitment be a better nomenclature???.....

Or is this where we discuss the lengths he will gonro fit in to the locker room in Madison?????

Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

There’s got to be a puck bunny joke or two in there as well.

My kid just was up in Toronto for an evaluation camp.  I found it interesting how they evaluated players.  Through a bunch of drills, and one scrimmage.  They evaluated many aspects of skating, puck skills, and hockey sense (including work ethic and drive).  They had like 6 or 7 specific elements under each of those buckets,  then they had a five point scale, with the middle being "Average= no separation from peers"  on the far end of success was "Elite= excels at a truly elite level", between those scores on the success side was "Very Good= point of strength relative to peers"...The other side was for gaps.

When they evaluate players at the highest levels, the coach said they want to see mostly very goods, they can live with a couple averages, but they really want to see at least one ELITE and nothing below average.  I thought this made sense and gave me a lens into Hockey Canada.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I hate to say this (being from ND), but I would do the same thing with my kid.

Hopefully he and Ausmus can rip it up and garner some honors in the process, warranting their early recruitment. Also looking forward to seeing Luke Bast in the USHL. Might have to get to Fargo to watch Waterloo with him, Montgomery, and Ness.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  I’m sure this was the best option for them.

It’s funny.  Driving a little over an hour to Moorhead seems a bit daunting to GF folks.  I live in southern CA.  My drive to practice for my son is typically 1 hr 15 minutes.  Can vary between 45 mins and 2 hrs, but generally 1 hr 15 mins....that’s each way.  2.5 hours in the car for 1 hour on the ice.  There are closer options, but not for AAA skill level.  

23 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

It’s funny.  Driving a little over an hour to Moorhead seems a bit daunting to GF folks.  I live in southern CA.  My drive to practice for my son is typically 1 hr 15 minutes.  Can vary between 45 mins and 2 hrs, but generally 1 hr 15 mins....that’s each way.  2.5 hours in the car for 1 hour on the ice.  There are closer options, but not for AAA skill level.  

Jeez, I’m in the TC. High quality hockey everywhere.  Weather...not so much :)

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Dont have to risk dying a frozen death in a snow filled ditch a few miles outside of bumfart ND in a blizzard tho either.

• Upvote 1