SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

From the Vees.....

"This was a difficult decision but in the end was the decision that was best for both the Vees and Massimo Rizzo,” Vees head coach, general manager and president Fred Harbinson said. “The past two seasons have been trying for Massimo, dealing with significant injuries which forced him to start the seasons late and miss substantial stretches of games.

“We felt that with Massimo’s recent surgery, it would be best for him to rehab at home next season. Fortunately we were able to make a hockey trade with Coquitlam that helped our team in the process. Massimo will always be a Vees alum and we wish him the best during his recovery next season,” Harbinson finished.

The Vees would like to thank Rizzo for his contributions both on and off the ice, and wish him the best of luck with the Express and University of North Dakota in the future."

I guess if there is another stretch of rehab to be done, I guess we can see why he dropped so far in the NHL draft. 

34 minutes ago, UND WFO78 said:

Massimo Rizzo - Because of some injuries and "lack of production" he falls from a projected 2nd Round draft pick to the end of the 7th round!  IMO this is a win/win for the University of North Dakota.  "Lack of Production" is a bad choice of words; the kid did have 40 points in 37 games on the ice this year - not too shabby (Win).  Also, he is staying in Penticton (just saw he was traded closer to home to rehab) for another year.  This gives him many games to grow up, mature, and play his game of hockey (hopefully healthy) before coming to campus (Win).  Plus, being a 7th round pick in Carolina, he will not be pressured to play immediately.  This will help us keep a more mature Rizzo into his 3rd year (hopefully 4th) of college (Win).  Should he have been a 2nd round pick, they may have been pressuring him after 1-2 years of playing.  Maybe we get a top 6 forward for 4 whole years (Win/Dream).

Totally agree.

Re Rizzo:

Schlossman's article today as well of the statement about the trade from the Vees definitely sheds light on why he's being held back to 2020. It makes complete sense now as I and I'm sure most were completely unaware that he was hurt as well at the end of the year. Time for him to get healthy and when he's completely healed, whenever that is next season, hit the reset button. If you could buy stock in a player, I'm buying all the Rizzo stock right now. I agree with @UND WFO78 and the one thing I continue to kind of roll my eyes at is the term "lack of production", it's true I guess, from the expectations, but the guy was over a PPG in his 17 year old season in the BCHL. Get healthy Massimo and prove all the teams wrong that let you slip to 216! 

2 hours ago, UND WFO78 said:

Massimo Rizzo - Because of some injuries and "lack of production" he falls from a projected 2nd Round draft pick to the end of the 7th round!  IMO this is a win/win for the University of North Dakota.  "Lack of Production" is a bad choice of words; the kid did have 40 points in 37 games on the ice this year - not too shabby (Win).  Also, he is staying in Penticton (just saw he was traded closer to home to rehab) for another year.  This gives him many games to grow up, mature, and play his game of hockey (hopefully healthy) before coming to campus (Win).  Plus, being a 7th round pick in Carolina, he will not be pressured to play immediately.  This will help us keep a more mature Rizzo into his 3rd year (hopefully 4th) of college (Win).  Should he have been a 2nd round pick, they may have been pressuring him after 1-2 years of playing.  Maybe we get a top 6 forward for 4 whole years (Win/Dream).

Lack of production for the type of prospect he is (was), given the league he was playing in.  Agreed with a lot of the other things you said though.  The thing with massimo is he was an extremely talented youth hockey player.  He has found juniors (a high scoring junior league) to be much tougher for him. Obviously not a deal breaker whatsoever but it appears he may be coming a bit closer to his ceiling (depending on the type of injury he has been dealing with, etc).  Which 100% does not mean he won’t be a nice college player or will never play in the nhl.  It simply means he has to find that next gear or may have to slow his development route (which he has).  

https://www.burnabynow.com/sports/burnaby-s-rizzo-celebrates-draft-trade-1.23866039

I found this article about Rizzo that kind of goes into more detail about his injury and the trade situation. 

I know some were irritated about him being pushed back to 2020, (Me included) but the more info I get the more it seems like it was a mutual decision, and the best decision for all parties. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

https://www.burnabynow.com/sports/burnaby-s-rizzo-celebrates-draft-trade-1.23866039

I found this article about Rizzo that kind of goes into more detail about his injury and the trade situation. 

I know some were irritated about him being pushed back to 2020, (Me included) but the more info I get the more it seems like it was a mutual decision, and the best decision for all parties. 

If his hip injury was the resurfacing and impingement repair, and that a common thing with the back pain, that puts him back into the mix about Thanksgiving Christmas timeframe, and rehabbed fully by coming in to UND in Fall of '20.

As others stated, buying Rizzo stock now would be quite wise, I think he could make an immediate positive impact on the program's title defense run.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

If his hip injury was the resurfacing and impingement repair, and that a common thing with the back pain, that puts him back into the mix about Thanksgiving Christmas timeframe, and rehabbed fully by coming in to UND in Fall of '20.

As others stated, buying Rizzo stock now would be quite wise, I think he could make an immediate positive impact on the program's title defense run.

:D I love it. Makes me happy to see some optimism around here. 

• Upvote 2

J Kunz with 1 assist in 5 games at the US Select 17 camp.  Not the strongest statistical showing obviously. Would be shocked if he made the Hlinka.

D Montgomery wasn’t there this year, odd as he made the 5 Nations last year. Wonder if he’s injured.

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

J Kunz with 1 assist in 5 games at the US Select 17 camp.  Not the strongest statistical showing obviously. Would be shocked if he made the Hlinka.

D Montgomery wasn’t there this year, odd as he made the 5 Nations last year. Wonder if he’s injured.

Montgomery is recovering from surgery on wrist/arm, I believe. 

• Upvote 1

A Randklev update (injury status, this season, and next season):

https://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/3971068-Former-Moorhead-hockey-standout-UND-commit-Randklev-still-fighting-back-from-ACL-tear 

Summary: 
Next key rehab date in September (decide if allow full contact)
Team for 2019-20 -- Fargo Force
Team for 2020-21 -- UND 

18 hours ago, AJS said:

Boys Select 15 starts this week. Panzer (Red) and Spicer (Forest) are taking part, will also be keeping an eye on how Clark (Grey) who has been mentioned as a potential recruit does. Is Ausmus injured?

Saw he wasn't there...must be hurt or a conflict.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Cameron Rowe to the Badgers 

Omaha - UND - Wisconsin.......

London???

However, now 2 high end recruits that sluffed of UND for Wisco.

Its one thing to lose a recruiting battle but recruited players is another.

Maybe these guys weren't UND type guys, maybe they weren't Berry type guys, but Im one more lackluster season away from saying the next decommit is from BEHIND the bench.

This is a huge year for us after a 3 year downhill slide.  So far I liked what I have seen of Berry's adjustments - especially with the addition of Karl as coach.  In my eyes we are the premier program in the country.  However, we need to re-establish some things right soon or face a bigger uphill battle getting this program where it needs to be. 

We can't be the place where scoring goes to die.  After much internet discussion from last year I'm still not sure how things went off the rails so fast.  I like some of the talent we have coming in, but offense needs to be a huge priority (as well as the power play)

There is absolutely no way we should be second fiddle to the likes of St. Clown and Duluth - none.  Sure maybe a year here and there as an anomaly but year after year really?  Time we were top of the pack again.  

We should be getting some absolute studs in the mix - we shouldn't bleed recruits to the likes of Wisconsin.  If we don't establish our program this year it may be a serious blow for the future. 

Having said that, if Rowe doesn't want to work with the best goalie coach in the country there is not much more that needs to be said.

• Upvote 3