SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

10 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I could care less where their are drafted, give me players who give it all and want to be here, Caggiula wasn’t drafted at all , neither was Stecher.

Well said.....Joe Finely.....or Troy Stecher......I think we know how that turned out. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Definitely need those types, but it was also nice to have 2 first rounders on the CBS line. 

Duluth seemed fine winning championships without having a bunch of first rounders. Yeah, they had Tufte but he was quite underwhelming. Take him out of lineup and Duluth wouldn’t have missed a beat.

It’s nice to have top talent but can be very successful without. Just need the right mix of players. Hopefully there’s some actual finishers in this incoming class. We’ve got plenty in the grind department... :lol:

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Duluth seemed fine winning championships without having a bunch of first rounders. Yeah, they had Tufte but he was quite underwhelming. Take him out of lineup and Duluth wouldn’t have missed a beat.

Exactly we want to win the NCAA’s not the Stanley cup.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Definitely need those types, but it was also nice to have 2 first rounders on the CBS line. 

I believe you need a combination of 2, 3, and 4 year guys. People like to point to guys like Stetcher and Caggs, myself included, but what about a guy like Coltyn Sanderson. I don't think he had played in more than 5 to 10 games going into the national championship season. He stuck it out for four years and earned himself a spot in the lineup. Obviously you don't win that title without the CBS line, but I think it's just as important to have guys like Sanderson on the team. Go to wikipedia and look back at past drafts, their are always guys that do better than and worse than their draft position. I just hope we end up with a bunch of guys that outperform whatever their projections are before they get here.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I believe you need a combination of 2, 3, and 4 year guys. People like to point to guys like Stetcher and Caggs, myself included, but what about a guy like Coltyn Sanderson. I don't think he had played in more than 5 to 10 games going into the national championship season. He stuck it out for four years and earned himself a spot in the lineup. Obviously you don't win that title without the CBS line, but I think it's just as important to have guys like Sanderson on the team. Go to wikipedia and look back at past drafts, their are always guys that do better than and worse than their draft position. I just hope we end up with a bunch of guys that outperform whatever their projections are before they get here.

And boy, did Sanderson ever score a HUGE goal in the regional final against Michigan!

• Upvote 3

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here. First, I do put a lot of stock in the NHL draft as these guys make a living doing this, doesn't mean they are perfect, but it's a very good indication on the perspective recruit as of this point. Two very important things, (1) They miss, both on guys not being drafted as well as when they should have (2) In correlation, as everyone has seen both at UND and throughout college hockey, draft position (or not being drafted), doesn't necessarily mean productivity at the college level. There's still so many different variables (i.e. Scheel). 

My perspective on the draft and the eligible player:

• Pinto - 2nd round (32nd overall): Based on his draft eligible year / first pick in the 2nd round, I think he can be a cornerstone recruit and immediate and will be an immediate Top 6 guy. 
  • Moore - 5th (128th overall): This pick probably went where expected, will be fun to watch him progress next year in Juniors. Given that he played HS last year definitely some upside.
  • Blaisdell - 5th (134th overall): He did slide a couple rounds based on projections, based on his body of work should be a Top 6 guy next year.
  • Caulfield - 5th (145th overall): Like Blaisdell, maybe a round later than projected, but will help with an influx of talent. Perfect college 3rd liner.
  • Schmaltz - 7th (192nd overall): This was a surprise, will be tracking him closer next year
  • Rizzo - 7th (216th overall): I'm still stumped with this one. He still had solid production in his draft year. It does now make more sense in him going back for another year. I still think he'll be a stud in college and will be a Top 6 guy as a freshman.

Guys that didn't get picked:

• Scheel: Selfishly, I wanted him to get picked, so that only one team could try to sign him early. He was one of the best Freshman goalies I've seen at UND. Sucks that now everyone can offer him a FA contract.
  • Bast: I get it, based on his size, still will be a phenomenal college player. 
  • Rowe: Like with Scheel, goalies can be weird. Numbers wise, didn't have a great year, despite being the 4th ranked NA goalie
  • Budy: Can't wait for him in 2020, I'm sure the freshman numbers scared teams off in Denver, but could be another Jones

Overall, 6 were drafted (5 expected) and one surprise. Two who many thought would go didn't.  Pinto / Moore went around where they were projected, with the others dropping a round or two. Very respectable showing. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here. First, I do put a lot of stock in the NHL draft as these guys make a living doing this, doesn't mean they are perfect, but it's a very good indication on the perspective recruit as of this point. Two very important things, (1) They miss, both on guys not being drafted as well as when they should have (2) In correlation, as everyone has seen both at UND and throughout college hockey, draft position (or not being drafted), doesn't necessarily mean productivity at the college level. There's still so many different variables (i.e. Scheel). 

My perspective on the draft and the eligible player:

• Pinto - 2nd round (32nd overall): Based on his draft eligible year / first pick in the 2nd round, I think he can be a cornerstone recruit and immediate and will be an immediate Top 6 guy. 
  • Moore - 5th (128th overall): This pick probably went where expected, will be fun to watch him progress next year in Juniors. Given that he played HS last year definitely some upside.
  • Blaisdell - 5th (134th overall): He did slide a couple rounds based on projections, based on his body of work should be a Top 6 guy next year.
  • Caulfield - 5th (145th overall): Like Blaisdell, maybe a round later than projected, but will help with an influx of talent. Perfect college 3rd liner.
  • Schmaltz - 7th (192nd overall): This was a surprise, will be tracking him closer next year
  • Rizzo - 7th (216th overall): I'm still stumped with this one. He still had solid production in his draft year. It does now make more sense in him going back for another year. I still think he'll be a stud in college and will be a Top 6 guy as a freshman.

Guys that didn't get picked:

• Scheel: Selfishly, I wanted him to get picked, so that only one team could try to sign him early. He was one of the best Freshman goalies I've seen at UND. Sucks that now everyone can offer him a FA contract.
  • Bast: I get it, based on his size, still will be a phenomenal college player. 
  • Rowe: Like with Scheel, goalies can be weird. Numbers wise, didn't have a great year, despite being the 4th ranked NA goalie
  • Budy: Can't wait for him in 2020, I'm sure the freshman numbers scared teams off in Denver, but could be another Jones

Overall, 6 were drafted (5 expected) and one surprise. Two who many thought would go didn't.  Pinto / Moore went around where they were projected, with the others dropping a round or two. Very respectable showing. 

Agreed.  Draft picks show talent/skill (at a point in time).  Players will continue to have to work/develop to reach the ultimate goal.  Should have a decent crop coming in. Shocked rizzo fell so far but the fact he’s going back to juniors raises some questions. Still has a nice skill package, just has some maturing to do.  I thought Rowe would be taken, that was somewhat shocking.

It may work out for us in that a few players may have a bit of a chip on their shoulder if they feel they were slighted.  Some may work themselves into the draft next year should they have good years.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Which players? You talking guys that are drafted or our roleplayers?

Sorry, I had to do some tasks yesterday.  All players in my eyes should develop in their time in the program, some more than others, some have higher ceilings. 

9 hours ago, tnt said:

It may work out for us in that a few players may have a bit of a chip on their shoulder if they feel they were slighted.  Some may work themselves into the draft next year should they have good years.

This is exactly what I was thinking, I don't mind a goalie playing with a little chip on their shoulder knowing they have to prove themselves against doubters

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Curious about Ty Smilanic who is also mentioned. Did he decommit from Denver because he plans on playing Major Junior, or is he reopening his recruitment, or maybe a wait and see where he is drafted scenario, then decide.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Curious about Ty Smilanc who is also mentioned. Did he decommit from Denver because he plans on playing Major Junior, or is he reopening his recruitment, or maybe a wait and see where he is drafted scenario, then decide.

I know he visited und last winter 

7 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Sorry, I had to do some tasks yesterday.  All players in my eyes should develop in their time in the program, some more than others, some have higher ceilings. 

Of course, but the ones that are drafted are the ones specific NHL teams care most about. I guess I may be missing your concern.

44 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Rizzo traded.  Interesting 

From the Vees.....

"This was a difficult decision but in the end was the decision that was best for both the Vees and Massimo Rizzo,” Vees head coach, general manager and president Fred Harbinson said. “The past two seasons have been trying for Massimo, dealing with significant injuries which forced him to start the seasons late and miss substantial stretches of games.

“We felt that with Massimo’s recent surgery, it would be best for him to rehab at home next season. Fortunately we were able to make a hockey trade with Coquitlam that helped our team in the process. Massimo will always be a Vees alum and we wish him the best during his recovery next season,” Harbinson finished.

The Vees would like to thank Rizzo for his contributions both on and off the ice, and wish him the best of luck with the Express and University of North Dakota in the future."

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits