SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They've drafted four of our players in the past 4 years with three in the top 2 rounds. Seems like they trust our program. 

Is the "they" you are referring to a particular team or the NHL in general?   I am reminded of the saying, you are only as good as your last day....  When Snow(?) stated his lack of conviction in the Gopher program's development ability was that good for their program?  I don't wear green tinted glasses, I just cheer /pull for the team, players, and prospects.

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is the "they" you are referring to a particular team or the NHL in general?   I am reminded of the saying, you are only as good as your last day....  When Snow(?) stated his lack of conviction in the Gopher program's development ability was that good for their program?  I don't wear green tinted glasses, I just cheer /pull for the team, players, and prospects.

Ottawa, yes. I think seeing three players picked in the top 2 rounds in two years is an indication of trust, not a concern of a potential lack of development. 

Snow had Okposo and pulled him. One player. Not three in the top 2 rounds in two years. 

Seeing how Wolanin developed in his three years, the progression of JBD last year and the massive steps of Tychonick in the second half of last year, I'm not sure what would make you think OTT doesn't like the development of it's players at UND.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ottawa, yes. I think seeing three players picked in the top 2 rounds in two years is an indication of trust, not a concern of a potential lack of development. 

Snow had Okposo and pulled him. One player. Not three in the top 2 rounds in two years. 

True enough, I have no insight into Ottawa and their opinion of college players, Okposo moving like he did is one thing, but Snow publicly calling out the Gopher program is pretty cringeworthy in my book.

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

True enough, I have no insight into Ottawa and their opinion of college players, Okposo moving like he did is one thing, but Snow publicly calling out the Gopher program is pretty cringeworthy in my book.

Definitely was. Doesn't feel like the case right now with the players OTT has picked from our team. 

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely was. Doesn't feel like the case right now with the players OTT has picked from our team. 

True, I was not speaking of Ottawa at all, but other programs could make the same statement Mr. Snow made if they did not like what they see.   With that said I would prefer UND prospects to go to college route friendly organizations. Even more important that no NHL management teams have any reason to question player development at UND.

5 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

True, I was not speaking of Ottawa at all, but other programs could make the same statement Mr. Snow made if they did not like what they see.   With that said I would prefer UND prospects to go to college route friendly organizations. Even more important that no NHL management teams have any reason to question player development at UND.

Ah, I get ya. I guess I've never really heard anything about NHL management questioning us. I don't really know the entire story about Miller, but we've had like 15 NHL players since then, so I don't feel like it's a big problem.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ah, I get ya. I guess I've never really heard anything about NHL management questioning us. I don't really know the entire story about Miller, but we've had like 15 NHL players since then, so I don't feel like it's a big problem.

I am not claiming insight that NHL management harbors any such thoughts, but I do fear that the last few years of "poor development" of  prospects will be placed on the program instead of individual players.  I also have no idea which train of thought is accurate, but I do believe you can see that recent players have not improved as much as former players improved during their time at UND.

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am not claiming insight that NHL management harbors any such thoughts, but I do fear that the last few years of "poor development" of  prospects will be placed on the program instead of individual players.  I also have no idea which train of thought is accurate, but I do believe you can see that recent players have not improved as much as former players improved during their time at UND.

Which players? You talking guys that are drafted or our roleplayers?

On 6/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, AJS said:

What's everyone's predictions for this weekend? My guesses will be strictly by rounds

• Pinto (2nd)
  • Blaisdell (3rd)
  • Caulfield (4th)
  • Rowe (5th)
  • Rizzo (5th)
  • Moore (6th)
  • Bast (6th)

Not drafted: Scheel, Frisch, Budy

Let's hope for a couple in the next 10 picks or else my predictions are going to start to look really bad. 

It is interesting that they called out more NHL discussion around where these kids are going and their development path this year vs. prior, and so many UND recruited players now sliding well below their central projections. Would be interesting to know if UNDs reputation had any impact or if the scouting agencies were just that far off on so many UND recruits. Hopefully get a nice flow of UND recruits in quick succession here!

6 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I could care less where their are drafted, give me players who give it all and want to be here, Caggiula wasn’t drafted at all , neither was Stecher.

On the plus, sounds like Blaisdell and Pinto are indeed those kinds of players. 

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I could care less where their are drafted, give me players who give it all and want to be here, Caggiula wasn’t drafted at all , neither was Stecher.

Definitely need those types, but it was also nice to have 2 first rounders on the CBS line.