SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Sodbuster said:

He and Evan Trupp are still 2 of my all time favorites.

Agreed.
Does anyone else remember Trupp's freshman season exhibition game against Manitoba?  When the Manitoba player had a breakaway and Trupp raced behind him, dove, and then lifted the stick and poked the puck away (all while in the air)?  That play epitomized Trupp's entire career at UND and he showed it off in his very first game at REA.  He showed that he was going to be a special player right then.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cratter said:

"We'll likely stop seeing these young recruits." Was a phrase just issued on this site a few days ago. :lol:

What I posted was that I think you'll see a trend away from seeking the younger recruits, the 14 and 15 year olds. 

The question that i have is this.  Did the UND staff really recruit an eighth grader, make an offer and try to obtain a commit, or did a legacy who has grown up hearing UND stories simply announce as an eighth grader that he's going to UND to play hockey?

18 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

What I posted was that I think you'll see a trend away from seeking the younger recruits, the 14 and 15 year olds. 

The question that i have is this.  Did the UND staff really recruit an eighth grader, make an offer and try to obtain a commit, or did a legacy who has grown up hearing UND stories simply announce as an eighth grader that he's going to UND to play hockey?

Are you suggesting that this kid is just stating his desire to play for UND? Hahaha. 

In that case...

"I'm super excited to announce my intentions to play for UND. Thank you to all who have supported me along the way. #SiouxHockey"

Did that work? Do I make the team? :D I don't think that's how this works.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, siouxnami said:

Sigh... I'm old...

I hear ya,  I always thought that guys that said "Oh I like the kid UND has playing for them now.  I remember watching his dad play when I was in college" were old gray haired fans that met at Judys talking about the old days of Sioux hockey.  Now I am that guy!!!:blink:

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Are you suggesting that this kid is just stating his desire to play for UND? Hahaha. 

In that case...

"I'm super excited to announce my intentions to play for UND. Thank you to all who have supported me along the way. #SiouxHockey"

Did that work? Do I make the team? :D I don't think that's how this works.

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-13935345.png

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
Does anyone else remember Trupp's freshman season exhibition game against Manitoba?  When the Manitoba player had a breakaway and Trupp raced behind him, dove, and then lifted the stick and poked the puck away (all while in the air)?  That play epitomized Trupp's entire career at UND and he showed it off in his very first game at REA.  He showed that he was going to be a special player right then.

Yes!  I've scoured the net searching for that video.  When I introduced my wife to Sioux hockey, she fell in love with Trupper.  I brought up that play, as the reason that I knew he was gonna be special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

Fair question, and something that most people probably don't understand.  Bottom line: a kid announcing on Twitter where he is going to lunch carries more weight.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/recruiting

A verbal commitment happens when a college-bound student-athlete verbally agrees to play sports for a college before he or she signs or is eligible to sign a National Letter of Intent. The commitment is not binding on the student-athlete or the school and can be made at any time.

Per the NCAA Bylaws:

13.4.1.2 Exception -- Men's Ice Hockey. In men's ice hockey, an institution shall not provide recruiting materials, including general correspondence related to athletics, to an individual (or his family members) until January 1 of his sophomore year in high school.

2 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

So, how highly regarded are these 4 recent recruits (Panzer, Ausmus, Spicer, Moore).

The Bantam Elite League is a collection of the best Bantam players in ND, MN and Wisconsin. Ausmus, Panzer and Spicer were All-Bantam Elite First Team players and Spicer was the MVP (per Youth Hockey Hub) last year. Currently, very highly regarded from this region. I say this region, because I'm not sure how they stack against the rest of the country, this summer at the USA Player Development camps (first year for the 04's) will give a great insight where they're currently at for that birth year.

Moore, don't really know a lot about him, excited for Schlossman's article on his commitment. The big thing that sticks out currently is he's projected in the mid-80s for this years draft. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The Bantam Elite League is a collection of the best Bantam players in ND, MN and Wisconsin. Ausmus, Panzer and Spicer were All-Bantam Elite First Team players and Spicer was the MVP (per Youth Hockey Hub) last year. Currently, very highly regarded from this region. I say this region, because I'm not sure how they stack against the rest of the country, this summer at the USA Player Development camps (first year for the 04's) will give a great insight where they're currently at for that birth year.

Moore, don't really know a lot about him, excited for Schlossman's article on his commitment. The big thing that sticks out currently is he's projected in the mid-80s for this years draft. 

Yup, sounds like a mid rounder in Moore. Certainly a good get. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Ausmus and Spicer also played for the 04 Blades which pretty much demolished every high end team in North America 

• Upvote 1

Serious question, not questioning anything about the program, but is there that much hockey talent in the area to make UND a real contender?  Just seems like a lot of guys from the area, when I am guessing with our recruiting budget we could get players from anywhere.  Again, just a question, want to hear thoughts..

50 minutes ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Serious question, not questioning anything about the program, but is there that much hockey talent in the area to make UND a real contender?  Just seems like a lot of guys from the area, when I am guessing with our recruiting budget we could get players from anywhere.  Again, just a question, want to hear thoughts..

Quite a number of former players stick around in the area.  Their natural talent sometimes filters down to the kids, then add that they know what it takes to play at a D1 level (and often beyond), and the kids are that much more prepared.  A good mix of the top-end local kids has greatly benefited this team in the past, and I believe that trend will continue.

1 hour ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Look at all the North Dakota kids who are playing college hockey elsewhere. We should get more of them then we do.

1 hour ago, RogerRoger12 said:

I was thinking the same thing but there were a bunch of local kids on the 2016 Nat'l Championship team.

Poolman, Thompson, Ladue, Simonson, Ausmus, Johnson