SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

59 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Actually, Huskies are pretty set at D next year according to my handy recruiting chart.

• Kuster would be a redshirt senior next season, but he graduates this spring. He could also transfer for grad school and play right away.

• Ahcan could leave because he'd get a great pro deal. Also, he's doing just fine in school, but he's not one of our academic studs.

• Ziemer could get cut or delayed because he's one of Motzko's old recruits and he's not performing all that well in the BCHL.

Even without the three above, there would STILL be seven defensemen who all deserve significant playing time. So in theory they could add another defenseman, but there's not that much of a need.

I guess I wasn't suggesting that the cupboard would be bare for SCSU.  But Schuldt and Lizotte ate up a lot of playing time, and there is the potential loss of Kuster and Ahcan.  To a defenseman looking at his chances for playing time, it might appear easier if you're competing against 3 other incoming freshmen plus a redshirt in Tyler Anderson, as opposed to the North Dakota roster where you'll have two seniors (not counting Johnson), three juniors and two sophomores (who were very high draft picks).  Again, all speculation on my part, but I could certainly see where if I wanted to come in this year an play a lot of minutes right away SCSU would be a better spot.

32 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Again, all speculation on my part, but I could certainly see where if I wanted to come in this year an play a lot of minutes right away SCSU would be a better spot.

Understood, and that might be true, but I think it would be FAR from the best spot for somewhat looking to get top six minutes.

That's not to say I want to turn away any significant talent that wants to play for SCSU, just that I don't know why SCSU would be in the market for another scholarship defenseman for next season. Then again, if Kuster stays as a walk-on and Ahcan leaving opens up a scholarship... who knows.

11 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

He'll probably come in, but TBH, another year of USHL hockey is exactly what he needs.  Clearly the league was very tough for him this year.  If we need a dman bad (which we don't obviously), I'd flip an over ager like Attard to come in.

Back to Frisch.  I just think it would benefit him to log a ton of minutes (in all situations) and come in more polished and extend his development cycle by a year.

Haha just cherry pick the leading scoring defenseman in the USHL.  Wishful thinking to say the least.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, AJS said:

It will be interesting to see who the lone freshman d-man is next year, by all accounts it'd be a real coin flip between Bast / Frisch. Both appear to be more than ready step in. 

It's going to be Ethan Frisch and I'm very confident in my source and their knowledge of the situation.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's going to be Ethan Frisch and I'm very confident in my source and their knowledge of the situation.  

11 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Agree. My source is his family. 

No more speculation is needed. 

This defensive pipeline is so impressive. Next year is set. Looking ahead the following year UND will lose two Seniors and most likely JBD. Eligible would be Bast, Kleven, Miller and Reid (Sanderson? he has one of those July B-days, so not sure if he's currently a Sophomore or Junior). So many great players. 

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

This defensive pipeline is so impressive. Next year is set. Looking ahead the following year UND will lose two Seniors and most likely JBD. Eligible would be Bast, Kleven, Miller and Reid (Sanderson? he has one of those July B-days, so not sure if he's currently a Sophomore or Junior). So many great players. 

Not so sure it's set as I've heard Peski may have a decision to make, but even with him potentially leaving, that corps is rock solid and will be for several years.

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

I believe Sanderson is a sophomore but may be accelerating his school work.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I lost track is the idea being discussed Frisch going to SCSU or Frisch coming in next year?

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I lost track is the idea being discussed Frisch going to SCSU or Frisch coming in next year?

Frisch is coming in next year to UND. I'm not so sure whom Exiled One was referring to, but if it's Frisch, I think we are believe he's gotten wrong info. 

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Someone floated around Frisch’s name as the potential recruit looking to flip his commitment to SCSU. No one knows what recruit that is. It’s not Frisch. He’ll be here in the fall.