SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Has Blaisdell and Pinto going in the 2nd round, Caulfield sneaking into the 3rd.

For comparison purposes, we've had 2 forward recruits drafted in the first 3 rounds come in over the past 3 years, and 1 of them left after 1 year.

Rizzo fell off.

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah, hopefully somebody gets a great deal on him in the 4th round.

From his expectation going into this year, he seems to have slipped, but really, he's put up pretty decent numbers this year. Blaisdell has gotten more attention (and will be a fantastic player), but Rizzo has had pretty comparable numbers. Seem to be different players, similar size wise, but Blaisdell seems to be more of a scorer, Rizzo a playmaker. Put them on the same line next year!

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

From his expectation going into this year, he seems to have slipped, but really, he's put up pretty decent numbers this year. Blaisdell has gotten more attention (and will be a fantastic player), but Rizzo has had pretty comparable numbers. Seem to be different players, similar size wise, but Blaisdell seems to be more of a scorer, Rizzo a playmaker. Put them on the same line next year!

Blaisdell was on the Pipeline Show podcast recently and he said he doesn’t consider himself to be more of a scorer, but that’s the role he played on his team this year, a lot based on where he played on the PP. (He played the net front. ) But he can score goals in multiple ways. 

Rizzo played on the point on Penticton’s PP when I saw him, and he’s definitely more of a playmaker. But he’s got a good shot and can bury goals also. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Both had a click over a pt per game which is not “high end” per se but still a solid draft year season.  I doubt they solve all the worlds problems next year but hopefully they have an effective role. As a comparison, pinto has over a pt per game (good goal totals too) in a much more difficult league.  His numbers probably translate to high 70s to low 80s in the BC

42 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Definitely not. Need forwards  at net front that can handle rebounds. Like, I don’t want to see Casey Johnson playing net front again here. 

Maybe Pinto or Caulfield would be good net front on the power play.

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Blaisdell was on the Pipeline Show podcast recently and he said he doesn’t consider himself to be more of a scorer, but that’s the role he played on his team this year, a lot based on where he played on the PP. (He played the net front. ) But he can score goals in multiple ways. 

Rizzo played on the point on Penticton’s PP when I saw him, and he’s definitely more of a playmaker. But he’s got a good shot and can bury goals also. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

It will be interesting to see who the lone freshman d-man is next year, by all accounts it'd be a real coin flip between Bast / Frisch. Both appear to be more than ready step in. 

Schlossman has reported it would be Frisch, though I admit I thought it would be Bast this whole time. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

It will be interesting to see who the lone freshman d-man is next year, by all accounts it'd be a real coin flip between Bast / Frisch. Both appear to be more than ready step in. 

I’m hoping this isn’t a situation where the coaches have decided to bring Bast in, and Frisch doesn’t want to wait.  Losing Donovan hurt, and they are lucky Senden didn’t decommit when they were going to push him off for Huber. Hopefully communication will help prevent something like that.  

12 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Schlossman has reported it would be Frisch, though I admit I thought it would be Bast this whole time. 

I went back to read his most recent article about Poolman staying as I remembered Frisch being apart of the article.

"the Fighting Hawks will likely bring defenseman and former Moorhead High player Ethan Frisch to campus in the fall to fill Shaw’s void."

Likely kind of left it open to some speculation. Honestly, the only reason I brought it up was @The Exiled One post a couple days ago. I immediately thought Randklev, but now that has me second guessing. I know it's just a rumor, but where there's smoke.

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I went back to read his most recent article about Poolman staying as I remembered Frisch being apart of the article.

"the Fighting Hawks will likely bring defenseman and former Moorhead High player Ethan Frisch to campus in the fall to fill Shaw’s void."

Likely kind of left it open to some speculation. Honestly, the only reason I brought it up was @The Exiled One post a couple days ago. I immediately thought Randklev, but now that has me second guessing. I know it's just a rumor, but where there's smoke.

Yeah I’m with you on that, I thought it was Randklev also. He’s not coming in the fall and maybe he doesn’t like that, and he’s already decommitted from a school so it wouldn’t shock me, while by all indications Frisch is scheduled to come in so it’d make less sense.

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

I’m hoping this isn’t a situation where the coaches have decided to bring Bast in, and Frisch doesn’t want to wait.  Losing Donovan hurt, and they are lucky Senden didn’t decommit when they were going to push him off for Huber. Hopefully communication will help prevent something like that.  

Absolutely. This is far from a rare situation, but this particular one will be very interesting to see play out. One one hand, it's a great place to be having two quality guys that could step in, but there's only one spot. The coaches will know better than anybody who they feel is most ready and trust the relationships they have. I'm more interested than anything what goes into a decision like this. If they feel player A is slightly more ready than player B, but they feel player B would be more likely to seek other options, do they go with B? Very important to add that who knows if either A or B would seek other options. 

Coach Berry, during a post game interview, I believe it was after the final game of the season, was being asked about next year and the incoming forwards. Part of his response was also mentioning they “may be bringing in a couple defensemen.” Obviously that would be both Bast and Frisch, but who knows what that was dependent upon. Poolman’s decision? Someone else leaving? If they both came in, we’d have 9 defensemen plus Casey Johnson. That’s too many good defensemen sitting out each game.

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Which is somewhat surprising.  It appears another USHL year would benefit Frisch.  Great skater though.  Also, I think Bast could use another year as well.  Sounds like we need a body to come in though.

I'm curious why they don't move Johnson back to D and have both Frisch and Bast continue to develop in juniors.  Both are still 18.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Which is somewhat surprising.  It appears another USHL year would benefit Frisch.  Great skater though.  Also, I think Bast could use another year as well.  Sounds like we need a body to come in though.

I'm curious why they don't move Johnson back to D and have both Frisch and Bast continue to develop in juniors.  Both are still 18.

If more of these guys realized that moving to the next level too fast can change the trajectory of your career, maybe more of them wouldn't be in such a hurry to move up too quickly.  That can be said at many levels.  Mid round range draft guys are most likely going to need a good while to develop anyway, why not stay an extra year in Juniors and be ready to make a splash when you reach the next level, rather than having to sit on the bench while others eat up the big minutes. 

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits