SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

18 hours ago, tnt said:

He's not exactly ripping it up in Minnesota High School hockey with his size.  Will be interested to see where he lands and how much he produces his first year.

Agreed.  I would expect him do be doing much better than he has so far.  He was injured, maybe that's it.

Past success is only a partial indicator of future progress, but it is all they got...   that said it is eye brow raising that the development of players at UND seem to be less than average...  is it an anomaly or a trend.  Just  hope no issues like Lucia / Snow and a public embarrassment are on the horizon...    

6 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Yup.  Was wondering why his name was included in the of UND commits on Dave Berger's January 21, 2019 tweet at 1:24 p.m. that UNDBIZ imbedded into this thread just 23 hours ago.

Looks like someone pointed it out to Dave on the twitter and he acknowledged the "oops."

18 hours ago, franchise said:

Looks like that assists are harder to come by without a line mate burying 50g

He'd really struggle trying to get assists on this UND team where the leading scorer only has 6g then.  Better off for him to find another place to play.  

11 hours ago, spfreak said:

I just read an article about the WHL draft (James went in the second round). He states that he has always wanted to play in the "dub." I get the sense that this is a leverage type of thing.

Timing to me in these type of situations is very important. If he had committed to UND prior to the WHL Bantam draft, then after the draft gave that quote, I'd definitely say you'd be onto something with your leverage comment. Then it would make sense his NCAA commitment was just to scare off teams he wasn't interested in, making the odds better whichever team he wanted would draft him. Who knows, you could still be right, refusing to play for team X and almost forcing their hand to trade him type deal.

Overall, I'll never hold what's said in a press release after the Bantam draft as any true indication in these type of situations. What do you expect the kid to say? "Boy, no idea why they did that, just wasted a pick?"

The good news about these type of situations as well, is we'll get a clearer view sooner than later based on his decisions on where he's going to play in the next couple years. Not fool proof, but seems to be a very good indicator.

43 minutes ago, AJS said:

Timing to me in these type of situations is very important. If he had committed to UND prior to the WHL Bantam draft, then after the draft gave that quote, I'd definitely say you'd be onto something with your leverage comment. Then it would make sense his NCAA commitment was just to scare off teams he wasn't interested in, making the odds better whichever team he wanted would draft him. Who knows, you could still be right, refusing to play for team X and almost forcing their hand to trade him type deal.

Overall, I'll never hold what's said in a press release after the Bantam draft as any true indication in these type of situations. What do you expect the kid to say? "Boy, no idea why they did that, just wasted a pick?"

The good news about these type of situations as well, is we'll get a clearer view sooner than later based on his decisions on where he's going to play in the next couple years. Not fool proof, but seems to be a very good indicator.

Agreed.  

Also, good players like to play with good players.  James committed now hopefully Bubs snags a few other skilled players to come in.

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

And sometimes it works the opposite way.  I remember Nolan Patrick saying he always wanted to play for the Fighting Sioux, yet when push came to shove, he ended up playing for Brandon.

38 minutes ago, tnt said:

And sometimes it works the opposite way.  I remember Nolan Patrick saying he always wanted to play for the Fighting Sioux, yet when push came to shove, he ended up playing for Brandon.

He was a bit too talented....and had the size as well.

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  

Also, good players like to play with good players.  James committed now hopefully Bubs snags a few other skilled players to come in.

I think he's a can't-miss prospect, as we share the same birthday (different years, of course).

• Upvote 1

Pumped about the players we have coming in next year.  No super high end guys, although I think Pinto may sneak into the first round if he dominates in TC.  But a nice collection of skilled guys. Need a few more similar classes to turn this thing around.  We have several commits who I doubt will ever make it on campus.

32 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Pumped about the players we have coming in next year.  No super high end guys, although I think Pinto may sneak into the first round if he dominates in TC.  But a nice collection of skilled guys. Need a few more similar classes to turn this thing around.  We have several commits who I doubt will ever make it on campus.

What makes you think this? We've only had a couple that I can remember over the years. Who are you thinking could bolt?

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What makes you think this? We've only had a couple that I can remember over the years. Who are you thinking could bolt?

I took that comment as won't make it to campus, because of that players development (i.e. Costello).

Always find it strange when Schlossman isn't able to interview a recent recruit. Definitely not on Schlossman, since you know he tried to reach out, but disappointed we don't have the story. Always like reading the quotes / hear which other schools were interested.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The current team would have benefitted if more hadn't made it to campus unfortunately.  Just be glad Cakebread and Mattson didn't make it to campus.  This team would be dead last.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits