SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

23 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I know Berry loves the local guys as most of us do but the talent has to be equal or greater then the other players who are available. We don’t need a team of 4th liners. I still think something about coaching or systems is holding us back. These players don’t just forget how to score, something just seems off.

Like what... please elaborate.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I wish I knew but all these players who scored in juniors don’t just lose their scoring touch , but systems can  handicap how players produce. One year might be an anomaly but years is a trend.

You can look up and down every lineup and find a lot of guys like that.  Taylor Cammarrata at Minnesota lit up the USHL, but struggled in college.  

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I wish I knew but all these players who scored in juniors don’t just lose their scoring touch , but systems can  handicap how players produce. One year might be an anomaly but years is a trend.

Are the players getting the chances to score?  I would say guys like JJ could have 8-9 goals if he converted on some of his chances.  Not sure how that can be on the coaches unless they put a jinx on his scoring touch. I do think the ultra focus on the analytics of puck possession to the exclusion of the ultimate analytic of finishing sometimes clouds the picture of who gets the most ice time.  We saw that last year with Simonson and Olson playing in situations where we needed goals down the stretch.  My biggest contention isn't about the 3rd and 4th line guys, because most teams don't get a whole lot of production from those guys, but I think we lack a bit in the top two lines with real finishers.  Hopefully you get some more of that next year, but then you lose great two way guys that give you puck possession in the offensive zone by winning faceoffs in Jones and Gardner.  You can't replace that kind of dominance. 

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

Are the players getting the chances to score?  I would say guys like JJ could have 8-9 goals if he converted on some of his chances.  Not sure how that can be on the coaches unless they put a jinx on his scoring touch. I do think the ultra focus on the analytics of puck possession to the exclusion of the ultimate analytic of finishing sometimes clouds the picture of who gets the most ice time.  We saw that last year with Simonson and Olson playing in situations where we needed goals down the stretch.  

JJ should have had 5 goals last weekend.

So is Donovan most likely gone then?

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

JJ should have had 5 goals last weekend.

So is Donovan most likely gone then?

Sounds like it according to Schlossman's blog, which is a shame.  Hopefully the coaches take time out of their trip to Duluth this weekend to let the guy know how valuable he is to their plans. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Sounds like it according to Schlossman's blog, which is a shame.  Hopefully the coaches take time out of their trip to Duluth this weekend to let the guy know how valuable he is to their plans. 

Ya...saw Schloss' tweet.  He's in the coaches back pocket so that was a designed tweet.  He must already be gone and heavily on the fence.  Jeez, in his commitment article...he's the hugger right?

30 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

If you don't know, why the conjecture? Speculation is silly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Ya...saw Schloss' tweet.  He's in the coaches back pocket so that was a designed tweet.  He must already be gone and heavily on the fence.  Jeez, in his commitment article...he's the hugger right?

Are you suggesting Schloss is being told by the coaches what to say? So, you think the coaches are directing the media to make them look bad because a recruit is leaving? I don't understand that logic. 

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Are you suggesting Schloss is being told by the coaches what to say? So, you think the coaches are directing the media to make them look bad because a recruit is leaving? I don't understand that logic. 

Haha no, not at all.  I just mean that schloss isn’t going to do what typical journalists do and bash their team/program. Schloss is a tool (the media) used to build up the program from a media standpoint.  It’s smart actually.

i just mean, I’m sure Donovan is backing off his commitment.  Schloss learned from berry or one of the other coaches.  He put that tweet out there to make it known, but he was subtle about it.  Hopefully I’m wrong.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha no, not at all.  I just mean that schloss isn’t going to do what typical journalists do and bash their team/program. Schloss is a tool (the media) to build up the program from a media standpoint.  It’s smart actually.

i just mean, I’m sure Donovan is backing off his commitment.  Schloss learned from berry or one of the other coaches.  He put that tweet out there to make it known, but he was subtle about it.  Hopefully I’m wrong.

I don't agree with this and his tweet actually is contrary to what you are saying. How can a tweet that says a recruit could potentially be leaving be seen as "building up the program" from the media? What would putting that tweet out do for the team? All it does is say that we are potentially losing a highly-touted recruit and the coaches would be asking for that to be sent? I don't get that.

It doesn't take inside knowledge to do what Schloss did in that particular tweet. He merely stated that Donovan changed his Twitter. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't agree with this and his tweet actually is contrary to what you are saying. How can a tweet that says a recruit could potentially be leaving be seen as "building up the program" from the media? What would putting that tweet out do for the team? All it does is say that we are potentially losing a highly-touted recruit and the coaches would be asking for that to be sent? I don't get that.

It doesn't take inside knowledge to do what Schloss did in that particular tweet. He merely stated that Donovan changed his Twitter. 

Did you read Schlossman’s blog post on this? Donovan hasn’t responded with clarification on his commitment status, so to me that’s a sign of where things are heading. 

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

Did you read Schlossman’s blog post on this? Donovan hasn’t responded with clarification on his commitment status, so to me that’s a sign of where things are heading. 

I did, but what are you saying? Definitely unfortunate that he looks to be out of here.

29 minutes ago, franchise said:

I'm hearing he's staying home at UMD

There's a video interview on YHH talking about him playing in the HS Elite league that shows him in UMD jerseys on the pond as a wee one. He says in the video he wanted get out of town for college but probably changed his mind. You'd think watching Tufte look like a bust would steer him away.  

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha no, not at all.  I just mean that schloss isn’t going to do what typical journalists do and bash their team/program. Schloss is a tool (the media) used to build up the program from a media standpoint.  It’s smart actually.

Actually, I find it to be quite the opposite.  Schloss seems to have no knowledge like Virg Foss did about recruits that are coming, in fact there are many times this board has foretold new commits well before Schlossman put the information out.  

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

There's a video interview on YHH talking about him playing in the HS Elite league that shows him in UMD jerseys on the pond as a wee one. He says in the video he wanted get out of town for college but probably changed his mind. You'd think watching Tufte look like a bust would steer him away.  

It will be interesting to see the demeanor between the coaches and Sandelin this weekend.  It hasn't been that cordial lately, but this certainly won't help. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, franchise said:

I'm hearing he's staying home at UMD 

Unfortunate if true.  I have a feeling he'll be a really good college player by his soph/jr year.  Tough to lose out on that, especially to UMD.
At any rate, if he's heading there, he'll need to bone up on his diving skills.  ;) 

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

Actually, I find it to be quite the opposite.  Schloss seems to have no knowledge like Virg Foss did about recruits that are coming, in fact there are many times this board has foretold new commits well before Schlossman put the information out.  

Schlossy is pretty darn locked in on recruits. Just because he doesn't tweet about it, doesn't mean he doesn't know. My guess... until a player commits, he's uncommitted (and sometimes past that, too as we now see with Donvovan) and with no benefit for him to share to Twitter what he knows, he keeps it quiet. If something changes and it's wrong, that makes him look bad. He's the most plugged in college hockey writer in the country.

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Schlossy is pretty darn locked in on recruits. Just because he doesn't tweet about it, doesn't mean he doesn't know. My guess... until a player commits, he's uncommitted (and sometimes past that, too as we now see with Donvovan) and with no benefit for him to share to Twitter what he knows, he keeps it quiet. If something changes and it's wrong, that makes him look bad. He's the most plugged in college hockey writer in the country.

There have been times when they say the recruitment on someone is down to so many schools with UND in the mix, so that is hardly keeping quiet.  Not sure he is as plugged into the UND coaches as you think. Remember, he was taken by complete surprise as to the cutting of women's hockey when many on this board had been pointing to it well before it happened.