SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

I found that odd as well, it would surprise me though if there wasn't something to it for Brad to mention it. 

We've hashed this out a bunch already, so most of this will be a repeat. It's time for Berry to earn that paycheck and make some difficult decisions. It's very clear to everyone for the second year in a row this team struggles to put it lightly to score goals. You look at the lineup tonight and the bottom six are essentially both four line players. This is a two year problem that will turn into a three year problem with the Junior class taking up so many of the Forwards spots. 

Like others have mentioned, he needs to get very creative with his scholarship money. We know for sure the 3 for 3 trade off that will already happen. Bringing in a fourth with Blaisdell is a must already, so he's already going to have to figure that out. To really turn this roster around, you can't let a guy like Donovan walk. This team needs talent, the good news is they have it in the pipeline, the bad news, scholarship money. The coaching staff needs to figure this out. 

On GPL they said Donovan follows Brett Larsen on Twitter. Hopefully that isn't a bad sign, because we shouldn't be losing players to St. Cloud, whether we ask them to wait a year or not. 

6 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

So Oshie, Nelson, Lee, and Forney. Just wanted a little context for this Donovan conversation. 

So, three 1st round draft picks and a guy who had high expectations, but the jump to the next level was too much too fast, and hurt his development.

• Upvote 1

I know Berry loves the local guys as most of us do but the talent has to be equal or greater then the other players who are available. We don’t need a team of 4th liners. I still think something about coaching or systems is holding us back. These players don’t just forget how to score, something just seems off.

13 hours ago, Irish said:

With the possibility of missing the tourney for the second year in a row it isn't too hard to look at our roster and see where the dead wood is.  This isn't so much a "figure it out" problem" as a "do what needs to be done" problem.  I seem to remember Blais cleaning house on occasion.  We are a top tier hockey program, not some friendly beer league.  You should need to produce to stay here.  

Name some names of Blais cleaning house.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Name some names of Blais cleaning house.

I can't and am not sure how to research it since it was years ago - I seem to remember him pulling scholarships on a couple of occasions though - anyone with a better memory that can confirm or deny this?  

14 hours ago, Irish said:

With the possibility of missing the tourney for the second year in a row it isn't too hard to look at our roster and see where the dead wood is.  This isn't so much a "figure it out" problem" as a "do what needs to be done" problem.  I seem to remember Blais cleaning house on occasion.  We are a top tier hockey program, not some friendly beer league.  You should need to produce to stay here.  

Coaches in all sports are reluctant to do this because it could hurt future recruiting.

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Coaches in all sports are reluctant to do this because it could hurt future recruiting.

I agree it is a tough situation all the way around.  A balancing act - if it was purely a hockey decision it would be pretty easy to know what to do.  As another poster mentioned, how long does this Junior Class clog up our offense?  After last year and almost half of this year it is painfully obvious we need more firepower.          

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't know if I'd say they're reluctant it happens especially at the major level. Look at power 6 football recruiting and you see it all the time. If you go about it the right way it isn't gonna hurt recruiting at all. It might be a difficult conversation to have but that is why coaches make the money they do "Hey your performance isn't gonna get you on the field/ice/court here so you can stay and be happy with that or you could look for another option where you have a better chance to play." Heck most coaches now will even help the kid get in touch with other coaches and programs to transfer to.

17 hours ago, tnt said:

On GPL they said Donovan follows Brett Larsen on Twitter. Hopefully that isn't a bad sign, because we shouldn't be losing players to St. Cloud, whether we ask them to wait a year or not. 

He also follows Granato.

Plus 14 people involved with UND, including Berry, Jackson, Shaw, Schloss, current players, former players and recruits

5 minutes ago, franchise said:

He also follows Granato.

Plus 14 people involved with UND, including Berry, Jackson, Shaw, Schloss, current players, former players and recruits

What about Sandra D and the other babes at his high school?!?

Edit: this sounds creepy but it is meant to mock how high school "status" is built around social media these days. Sandra D being the girl from Grease of course

33 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

What about Sandra D and the other babes at his high school?!?

Edit: this sounds creepy but it is meant to mock how high school "status" is built around social media these days. Sandra D being the girl from Grease of course

I'm not familiar with any girls from his school...lol

Players transferring because of playing time seems to happen pretty frequently at the college level and would have no impact on recruiting and probably little impact on the room. 

I mentioned this before, but you'll notice a common theme with players transferring, it's almost always underclassman. I can't think of any recent examples (Tomek, Wilkie, Murphy, Chartrand, Seinkbell, Bruneteau) of players that transferred after their Junior year. Not saying it can't happen, but that would seem to be a pretty hard sell for someone with only one year of eligibility left and on top of that would almost assuredly would have aged out of the junior ranks. On top of that, what program would want to bring someone in for one year, if they wouldn't be an instant impact type guy?

The option of transferring is pretty much off the table for this years Junior class, which is where the clog is for both talent as well as numbers. Berry's only option would be manipulate the scholarships to bring in extra players. Go with 17 Forwards for a year and let the best player play. If he has the right guys, unselfish guys, this could work. I can definitely see how you could lose 3 and bring in 4 (forwards), but only losing 3 and bringing in 5 would be really tough. Just tossing out ideas, but the one option would be if Rieger (Sophomore) transfers and they move Johnson back to defense. That would open up another forward spot and it would be easier to make room for the 5th. Even if the Donovan ship has sailed, I would still like Berry to be aggressive and try to bring another forward (5th for the '19 class). 

4 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

True to an extent and hockey may be different, but in football running a true meritocracy actually helps recruiting because recruits know they get playing time based on talent and hard work instead of being concerned about politics, loyalty, and nepotism etc.

Saban is the poster child; every recruit is sure they are NFL caliber and just want a chance to prove it. Last yr he had the stones to replace his starting qb with a true freshman at halftime of the NC game and won. All he said was, “I thought he could throw it better, and he did”. 

Yesterday a 5 star said he may commit because Urban Meyer sat an upper classman for a true freshman 

Maybe none of that applies in this discussion because hockey recruiting has more moving parts than football, just my 2 cents. 

Best option is a large slush fund and a bag man but this isn’t the south. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Players transferring because of playing time seems to happen pretty frequently at the college level and would have no impact on recruiting and probably little impact on the room. 

I mentioned this before, but you'll notice a common theme with players transferring, it's almost always underclassman. I can't think of any recent examples (Tomek, Wilkie, Murphy, Chartrand, Seinkbell, Bruneteau) of players that transferred after their Junior year. Not saying it can't happen, but that would seem to be a pretty hard sell for someone with only one year of eligibility left and on top of that would almost assuredly would have aged out of the junior ranks. On top of that, what program would want to bring someone in for one year, if they wouldn't be an instant impact type guy?

The option of transferring is pretty much off the table for this years Junior class, which is where the clog is for both talent as well as numbers. Berry's only option would be manipulate the scholarships to bring in extra players. Go with 17 Forwards for a year and let the best player play. If he has the right guys, unselfish guys, this could work. I can definitely see how you could lose 3 and bring in 4 (forwards), but only losing 3 and bringing in 5 would be really tough. Just tossing out ideas, but the one option would be if Rieger (Sophomore) transfers and they move Johnson back to defense. That would open up another forward spot and it would be easier to make room for the 5th. Even if the Donovan ship has sailed, I would still like Berry to be aggressive and try to bring another forward (5th for the '19 class). 

Would agree with this because all the young recruits aren't going to hit, and if you get rid of guys that don't produce a lot, but know what the coaches expect about playing defense you may actually have to score 4 goals a game instead of 3 to win.  Consistency isn't something synonymous with freshmen, both defensively and offensively. Again, Adams is a perfect example of that. It's funny because with average goals per game at about 3, there are always going to be guys that don't score very much, especially when they aren't part of the power play units. 

My guess is Duluth and or Minnesota. Apparently, Motzko has flipped four recruits from other programs and has one pending. I also heard he is trying to flip a UND recruit. I guess Motzko’s incoming players aren’t off limits. 

9 hours ago, Goon said:

My guess is Duluth and or Minnesota. Apparently, Motzko has flipped four recruits from other programs and has one pending. I also heard he is trying to flip a UND recruit. I guess Motzko’s incoming players aren’t off limits. 

Maybe the player he wants to flip has crowd anxiety, so Minnesota would be a better fit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits