SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

These guys are still young.  Some of them may not turn out to be exactly what some think...others may be better.  I attempt to recruit the best kids every single year.  You're never going to turn away a kid because they happen to be too talented.  Berry is going into year 3 (I believe), his recruiting has picked up over time.  A few years ago, I was curious if the recruiting would take a hit with Hak's departure.  It did, to an extent, but has picked right back up.  I expect Berry to continue this recent trend.

I don't think anyone expected Tyson Jost to leave after one season. Some of the recruits that came in over the last two seasons were decent but didn't quite perform to the level most of thought they would. IRC, one of UND's recent classes was ranked pretty high by some of the hockey recruiting experts. UND was ranked 6th in 2016. This season, the same publication has UND ranked 8th

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's just a question. I was trying to figure out if you're being serious. Would be pretty easy to answer lol.

No.  I was not serious--just being my juvenile self. 

Not trying to troll--just have a little fun. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We've spent like 6 months whining about a lack of studs because we have too many grinders and now... we have complaining because we aren't recruiting grinders lol. What. The. Heck.

Blue Chippa?

Not much said about the player that leaves for the NHL after his junior year here. Get 1 or 2 more years out of him than the real early outs, yet not a 4 year grinder? Thinking a few of these talented players each year would be OK?

When I see the word “chippa” I cringe and feel like I’m in Jersey or Mattapan. I’ll stick with “chip”. 

Recruit at the highest level possible,, some will turn into 3-4 year players. 

Imho and fwiw, the chip vs grinder label when it comes to recruiting isn’t even a thing in ncaa hockey because of all the options these kids have. “Best available” is a thing. My last comment on that.

It’s impressive every time BB signs one of these guys and hats off to him. The staff has to develop them but it’s good to start with highest quality clay. The future looks bright. 

Happy Friday

• Upvote 3

The US was just hosed over at the Hlinka/Gretzky.  We'd be playing for gold if not for an awful last second call favoring the Canucks.  The team will play Russia for bronze.

Our guys' stats so far:

Mitchell Miller  4 0 3-3  2pim

Luke Reid  4 0 2-2 4pim

Michael Mancinelli  4 0 2-2  0pim 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, ChrisUND1 said:

I was at the pepper last week, and I must say the grinder bread is incredibly different!  Super dense and chewy, cornmeal on the bottom.

East side Pep is still rocking the real bread, I believe . . .. all the ND ones (even the OG one on Uni) changed.

8 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Judd Caulfield, Ethan Frisch, Ryder Donovan, and Shane Pinto will play in the All-American prospects game.

Surprised Mancinelli didn't get an invite, but a great showing for UND recruits. This has to be the most they've had invited to this game.

Very interested to see Pinto's development, had a great year last year and was someone nobody was talking about when he committed. Could turn out to be a very good find for the coaching staff.

15 hours ago, AJS said:

Surprised Mancinelli didn't get an invite, but a great showing for UND recruits. This has to be the most they've had invited to this game.

Very interested to see Pinto's development, had a great year last year and was someone nobody was talking about when he committed. Could turn out to be a very good find for the coaching staff.

I was wondering the same thing about Mancinelli. Maybe someone on here could shed some light on the selection process.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Youngest of the four selected is Caulfield and he's March 2001. Mancinelli is June 2001. Maybe something about HS year? 

Pretty sure the  All-American prospects game is all about draft year.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Youngest of the four selected is Caulfield and he's March 2001. Mancinelli is June 2001. Maybe something about HS year? 

Weird....Frisch and Pinto didn't even make the Hlinka team.  Pinto may be older I guess.

Do we have a log jam of incoming recruits next year?

Incoming: Randklev, Stratton, and a bunch of likely draftees (Donovan, Caulfield, Rizzo, Blaisdell, Mancinelli), then what about Frisch and Bast?

Outgoing: Jones, Gardner, Janatuinen, Shaw, Poolman (Jr)......

6 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Do we have a log jam of incoming recruits next year?

Incoming: Randklev, Stratton, and a bunch of likely draftees (Donovan, Caulfield, Rizzo, Blaisdell, Mancinelli), then what about Frisch and Bast?

Outgoing: Jones, Gardner, Janatuinen, Shaw, Poolman (Jr)......

Stratton will be here but won't be eligible, and I would guess Caulfield and Blaisdell may wait another year.  Would guess it is more certain that Costello will wait another year. 

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

Stratton will be here but won't be eligible, and I would guess Caulfield and Blaisdell may wait another year.  Would guess it is more certain that Costello will wait another year. 

Is Stratton sitting out this yr and 7 next or next yr and 7 the following?

Does seems like it might be a little crowded, but that's not a bad thing.  Also have to figure someone may not make it to campus and there may be a surprise departure.

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would say Frisch and/bast wouldbwait another year.  Potentially Caulfield however Blaisdell is ranked rather high.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I would say Frisch and/bast wouldbwait another year.  Potentially Caulfield however Blaisdell is ranked rather high.

If Blaisdell is drafted high that most certainly would be a no brainer bringing him in, but that will probably be contingent on taking a step forward in production now that he is a little older.  It will be interesting to see how many points he puts up this year compared to Rizzo. 

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Is Stratton sitting out this yr and 7 next or next yr and 7 the following?

Does seems like it might be a little crowded, but that's not a bad thing.  Also have to figure someone may not make it to campus and there may be a surprise departure.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/4474002-und-gets-commitment-former-whl-player-murphy-stratton

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Defenseman != Forward 

Shaw is a senior. One defense slot will open. Then there is Poolman; his brother left after three seasons. The next question becomes does Johnson move back up front (Shaw's roster slot) to re-open that slot at forward? 

Now you can ponder forwards. Three seniors (Gardner, Janatuinen, Jones). Then ask the Johnson question again: fourth slot up front? Then ask: other departures? I don't see Yon, Bowen, Smith, or Hoff jumping ship and missing a senior year. So ask if there's a flight risk amongst Kawaguchi, Adams, or Mismash. I could see up to five open slots at forward. Not saying I know anything, I'm just saying five wouldn't be out of the question (seniors, Johnson moved back to D, one guy decides to leave). 

When I look at my roster and recruit tracking I see a recruit name next to every current roster senior, junior, and sophomore D (six for six). I see the same at forward ... plus two extras (meaning recruit names for two current freshmen). Yes, 13 recruits line up for the present 15 forwards. 

I'd say Berry & Company have their pipeline set and defined for skaters. 

What I don't see is goalie Anderson's replacement. I'm wondering if the coaches are holding off on deciding if they recruit another "puck eater" (goalie for practice) like Anderson or waiting to see if Thome and Scheel can shoulder the load (meaning do they have to try to find a potential starter). 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits