SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

I believe Cruikshank was on our radar for quite a while - maybe even a verbal - what happened?

He decommitted from Wisconsin, but someone on this site said it was only a matter of time before he and Randklev committed here. Don’t know if they had some inside info or not, but he did get injured and missed the rest of the year.  Don’t know the extent of the injury. 

Am I misunderstanding, or are we saying it’s a good idea to intentionally recruit some less talented players over high-end talent? 

I’ve passionately followed recruiting and seen the results for decades. There are exceptions to everything but elite programs intentionally going after mid-level players is a new concept to me. 

Some former mid-lower tier programs like Ohio State used to ignore Minnesota kids in exchange for grinders from Dublin Ohio. But not anymore, they have several kids from Minnesota, and countries like Canada, Ukraine, Germany, and New Jersey 

With an 85 man football roster it’s not unusual for the blue bloods to scholarship one legacy player and one or two 3-4th yr proven walk-ones. But hockey and BB don’t have much room for an average year. Maybe I’m wrong 

17 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Am I misunderstanding, or are we saying it’s a good idea to intentionally recruit some less talented players over high-end talent? 

I’ve passionately followed recruiting and seen the results for decades. There are exceptions to everything but elite programs intentionally going after mid-level players is a new concept to me. 

Some former mid-lower tier programs like Ohio State used to ignore Minnesota kids in exchange for grinders from Dublin Ohio. But not anymore, they have several kids from Minnesota, and countries like Canada, Ukraine, Germany, and New Jersey 

With an 85 man football roster it’s not unusual for the blue bloods to scholarship one legacy player and one or two 3-4th yr proven walk-ones. But hockey and BB don’t have much room for an average year. Maybe I’m wrong 

Depends how you define "talented."  Some guys are much more "talented" at going into the corners, battling in front of the net, or laying down in front of a slap shot than that high-end early round draft pick.  A good hockey team needs both.

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Depends how you define "talented."  Some guys are much more "talented" at going into the corners, battling in front of the net, or laying down in front of a slap shot than that high-end early round draft pick.  A good hockey team needs both.

Exactly.  If you were thinking high end players coming out of high school or even juniors, Colton and Tucker Poolman wouldn't have been high on many teams' lists, but they have intangibles that make them guys you need on your team.  Ditto with guys like Connor Gaarder and Steph Pattyn. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, tnt said:

This draft is a perfect example why blue chip being defined as first round as flawed. Every team had different players rated higher from 12 or so through 50, so each saw players between those numbers as blue chip.  There were fans that lamented us not getting Bode Wilde, yet not only did JBD go higher, Wilde isn’t going to Michigan anyway.  The fact that a standing All American player like Perunovich wouldn’t be considered blue chip further illustrates that point.

You’re too focused on a term :).  The term blue chip is from an NHL perspective not a college prospect perspective.  There can be many awesome college hockey prospects who are not considered blue chips.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Bingo.  

2 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

I wouldn’t call them mid level players.  Typically they are players very good at what they do (grinding, penalty kill, etc).  Many times these types of players put up big numbers in a junior league however are more mid range at the college level.  Still good players though, sometimes these types of players even crack the nhl serving that same role...because they are elite at it.

22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I wouldn’t call them mid level players.  Typically they are players very good at what they do (grinding, penalty kill, etc).  Many times these types of players put up big numbers in a junior league however are more mid range at the college level.  Still good players though, sometimes these types of players even crack the nhl serving that same role...because they are elite at it.

Hence the term "role players."

• Upvote 2

Look at all the high end talent David Quinn brought into BU over his tenure and how many natty’s they’ve won over that time period. If we’re wringing our hands over our non-productive junior class, one can only imagine what Terriers fans must be thinking with all the talent they’ve had but no title (yet) to show for it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Look at all the high end talent David Quinn brought into BU over his tenure and how many natty’s they’ve won over that time period. If we’re wringing our hands over our non-productive junior class, one can only imagine what Terriers fans must be thinking with all the talent they’ve had but no title (yet) to show for it. 

Sounds like the Dave Hakstol era.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, tnt said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-projections-rasmus-dahlin-sabres-canadiens-blackhawks-rangers/1wwd425dls1km1pjod5zbjj4sc

Wouldn't it be cool if both Tychonick and Bernard Docker got drafted by the same team as this mock has?  They certainly would be able to grow together, but then if one leaves early, does the other too?

nice call!

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Paint chips could have lead which in turn could cause lead poisoning, not a good idea. gfhockey is a keeper and our inside guy in the gobc. 

Its upnto u guys if u keep wanting inside info. Quite frankly some of the gobc is appalled at some of your behaviors 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Its upnto u guys if u keep wanting inside info. Quite frankly some of the gobc is appalled at some of your behaviors 

Maybe not so much part of the GOBC, but maybe more in the vain of Captain Obvious or you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. 

20 hours ago, Godsmack said:

His tenure :)  more like in and out 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

His tenure :)  more like in and out 

Quite a few one and done, and two and done. I think Quinn was a perfect example of why you can't load up on first-round draft choices and expect to just win titles. You have to build a team with high-end talent and role players that will kill penalties, check top lines and grind out minutes. You have to have chemistry. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Quite a few one and done, and two and done. I think Quinn was a perfect example of why you can't load up on first-round draft choices and expect to just win titles. You have to build a team with high-end talent and role players that will kill penalties, check top lines and grind out minutes. You have to have chemistry. 

... and a goalie that isn't afraid of his own shadow!