SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 11/27/2017 at 3:08 PM, SiouxForever said:

I think people need to relax. Union's Jack Adams didn't even play in a game this weekend against UND and had 37 goals last year in the ushl. He has 1 goal in his college career so far.

Can you imagine our fan base if this player was on our team and struggling? 

He played Friday night.

The one thing I have noticed about the USHL is how close the scoring race is all the way through.  With a couple good games on a weekend, you could move up from the third page on the league leaders to potentially the top ten.   I also noticed that most of the players on the first page have really made their mark on the power play.   With everything being so tight in that league, it is really hard to know who is going to make the step at the next level.  Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup from Fargo, who is committed to Maine sure seems to be a consistent scorer though.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, cberkas said:

Shane Pinto#6 Grey, 11/12/00, Forward, Shoots Right, Selects Academy 18U (USPHL) - Following a good camp with the Lincoln Stars, he drew some NCHC interest. North Dakota assistant Dane Jackson came to watch him play here. He has a good stride, a quick release and he’s a cerebral player. However, he didn’t do enough here with his skill set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbncollegehockey.com/platform/amp/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2017/6/26/15871768/road-to-college-showcase-prospects-babson-tinling-henry-strawn-pearson-sharib-pinto-meehan-pearson

What is weird is the structure of this entire article. I had read it earlier and saw that they say: "If picking an All-Showcase Team in terms of top Division I prospects, the nod goes to forwards Justin Pearson, Shane Pinto and Azzaro Tinling . . . "

Then in the scouting report further down that you included, they rag on him a little bit. Do they mean they picked the all-showcase team before the tournament. Not that they picked it based on the performance at the tournament? Are they saying though he is essentially one of the top prospects there, he just didn't perform as well as expected in this particular viewing?

1 hour ago, joeyjr said:

What is weird is the structure of this entire article. I had read it earlier and saw that they say: "If picking an All-Showcase Team in terms of top Division I prospects, the nod goes to forwards Justin Pearson, Shane Pinto and Azzaro Tinling . . . "

Then in the scouting report further down that you included, they rag on him a little bit. Do they mean they picked the all-showcase team before the tournament. Not that they picked it based on the performance at the tournament? Are they saying though he is essentially one of the top prospects there, he just didn't perform as well as expected in this particular viewing?

That's how I read it.

Looking at next years recruits currently playing in the BCHL you have:

• Weatherby: Tied for first in points w/ 41. Second in goals with 21
  • Tychonick: Tied for fourth in points for a defenseman w/ 23 (as an '00 much younger than leaders who go '97, '98', 97', 98')
  • Scheel: Best GAA at 1.88, 2nd in SV% at .936

Nice forward, defenseman, goalie combination with that group. Now, it's on the rest of the group to pick up their numbers. 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Looking at next years recruits currently playing in the BCHL you have:

• Weatherby: Tied for first in points w/ 41. Second in goals with 21
  • Tychonick: Tied for fourth in points for a defenseman w/ 23 (as an '00 much younger than leaders who go '97, '98', 97', 98')
  • Scheel: Best GAA at 1.88, 2nd in SV% at .936

Nice forward, defenseman, goalie combination with that group. Now, it's on the rest of the group to pick up their numbers. 

Add in Rizzo and we have quite the 4-some.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Add in Rizzo and we have quite the 4-some.

I was just talking about the guys who will be here next year, but a Rizzo / Blaisdell class coming out of the BCHL in 2 years would be phenomenal. Both have the same stat line of 4-10-14 in what would be their junior high school year. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I was just talking about the guys who will be here next year, but a Rizzo / Blaisdell class coming out of the BCHL in 2 years would be phenomenal. Both have the same stat line of 4-10-14 in what would be their junior high school year. 

Ah crap I'm an idiot.  I forgot that Rizzo is 2 years out.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:08 PM, SiouxForever said:

I think people need to relax. Union's Jack Adams didn't even play in a game this weekend against UND and had 37 goals last year in the ushl. He has 1 goal in his college career so far.

Can you imagine our fan base if this player was on our team and struggling? 

<insert picture of Wade Murphy here>

So I check out our commits periodically on eliteprospects.com via Schlossman's blog and I've noticed something curious.  The past, present, and future teams are listed for each recruit and UND is listed as a future destination for all but Jackson Keane.  A while back it was listed there.  Does anyone know what's up with that?  Is he no longer in our pipeline?

5 minutes ago, Quincheezmo said:

So I check out our commits periodically on eliteprospects.com via Schlossman's blog and I've noticed something curious.  The past, present, and future teams are listed for each recruit and UND is listed as a future destination for all but Jackson Keane.  A while back it was listed there.  Does anyone know what's up with that?  Is he no longer in our pipeline?

Interesting, he did tweet out a picture of him signing his NLI not too long ago, so would be surprised if things changed that quickly. He is one of 3 that haven't seemed to pick up their play in juniors, so I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing for UND if they agreed it didn't work out.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Interesting, he did tweet out a picture of him signing his NLI not too long ago, so would be surprised if things changed that quickly. He is one of 3 that haven't seemed to pick up their play in juniors, so I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing for UND if they agreed it didn't work out.

Same thing happened with Rowe, who is now at ASU.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

He just got back to the team from an injury.

2 hours ago, Quincheezmo said:

They still show Keegan committed, wouldn't look much into that stuff on there. The site doesn't always update where the player is heading.

58 minutes ago, cberkas said:

He just got back to the team from an injury.

That's true and I'm looking strictly at stats, but have you seen anything prior to his injury in Penticton (few points) or his two years in Sioux City, that would point to him as a contributor at the D1 level?

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's true and I'm looking strictly at stats, but have you seen anything prior to his injury in Penticton (few points) or his two years in Sioux City, that would point to him as a contributor at the D1 level?

I’ve seen players score a bunch of goals in Juniors and were busts in college and seen players that didn’t score a bunch of goal and did very well in college.

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I’ve seen players score a bunch of goals in Juniors and were busts in college and seen players that didn’t score a bunch of goal and did very well in college.

To add on to this, I would advise people to stop over analyzing recruits and their stats. If Berry and Co. don’t feel they can contribute to the program, they won’t be here. There are several recent former recruits that were let go for various reasons. 

Most of us haven’t seen any of these kids play extensively anyways. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

No doubt on the first one, I'd be interested in a player that didn't score a lot in juniors that put up points in college. Of course there's always going to be outliers in every case, but I'd think for the most part, you'd rather have players that actually perform in juniors.

20 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

To add on to this, I would advise people to stop over analyzing recruits and their stats. If Berry and Co. don’t feel they can contribute to the program, they won’t be here. There are several recent former recruits that were let go for various reasons. 

Most of us haven’t seen any of these kids play extensively anyways. 

I can get on board with this. I also realize you need players that play different roles and it seems UND does recruit this better than almost anyone. I've mentioned this before, but it's not specifically Keane by himself that I question, it's bringing in 2 others that also can't get on the score sheet as overagers. Ultimately, I know this coaching staff will do what's best, so I'm out of the conversation. I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

No doubt on the first one, I'd be interested in a player that didn't score a lot in juniors that put up points in college. Of course there's always going to be outliers in every case, but I'd think for the most part, you'd rather have players that actually perform in juniors.

I can get on board with this. I also realize you need players that play different roles and it seems UND does recruit this better than almost anyone. I've mentioned this before, but it's not specifically Keane by himself that I question, it's bringing in 2 others that also can't get on the score sheet as overagers. Ultimately, I know this coaching staff will do what's best, so I'm out of the conversation. I

Here is one of the top of my head.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139946

18 hours ago, petey23 said:

Here is one of the top of my head.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139946

...and this was an outlier.  

Keane’s numbers are worrisome but as someone pointed out, a good team needs role players as well.  Some point getters don’t do well with a transition to a different role in college.  I know Bowen’s numbers in juniors weren’t good whatsoever but he’s been valuable this year when he’s been on the ice.  Good bottom six forward.  Great skater and has a great motor.  One of the better penalty killers as well.  You need those guys as well.  Maybe keane could fit in similar to that.  We’ll find out.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:47 AM, Quincheezmo said:

Kunz isn’t listed either.