SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

scpa0305 would be the one to ask.

I expect him to be a 3rd or 4th liner. 

Having never seen him play, I like the fact he has almost a goal per game average so far this year. He also has good size. I wonder how good of a skater he is and I am also curious how he scores most of his goals.

38 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Having never seen him play, I like the fact he has almost a goal per game average so far this year. He also has good size. I wonder how good of a skater he is and I am also curious how he scores most of his goals.

His coach said in Brad's article that he's a great skater. I like that he's scoring points, but I'm just worried about it being an age and size thing. 

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

scpa0305 would be the one to ask.

I expect him to be a 3rd or 4th liner. 

Big kid...late bloomer obviously. I too would expect 3rd/4th line initially.  You never know though. Some kids figure it out later than others.  The BC is a high scoring league most years but 19 in 21 is not too shabby.  Nice depth add is what I’m thinking.  We’ll see how his year turns out.

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

His coach said in Brad's article that he's a great skater. I like that he's scoring points, but I'm just worried about it being an age and size thing. 

I was worried about that as well, hoping he's more of a late bloomer type. Only 5 of his 19 goals are on the PP with one shorty and 11 of his 31 points are on the PP. At least he's scoring 5 on 5 and also plays on the PK. Without knowing I'm hoping he's a more offensive Cole Smith type of player.

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I was worried about that as well, hoping he's more of a late bloomer type. Only 5 of his 19 goals are on the PP with one shorty and 11 of his 31 points are on the PP. At least he's scoring 5 on 5 and also plays on the PK. Without knowing I'm hoping he's a more offensive Cole Smith type of player.

5 ppg is not that bad...and 11 of 31 is decent as well.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Big kid...late bloomer obviously. I too would expect 3rd/4th line initially.  You never know though. Some kids figure it out later than others.  The BC is a high scoring league most years but 19 in 21 is not too shabby.  Nice depth add is what I’m thinking.  We’ll see how his year turns out.

It seems like sometimes big guys take a while to figure out how to leverage their size, and once they do they take off. I like the fact that Weatherby realized he had things to work on including skating, and did so to earn this opportunity. Still hopeful Mattson figures out how to best capitalize on his frame and puts it together. If they both play center, it would be two of the taller centers we've had.  Would that height be an advantage or disadvantage on faceoffs?

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

It seems like sometimes big guys take a while to figure out how to leverage their size, and once they do they take off. I like the fact that Weatherby realized he had things to work on including skating, and did so to earn this opportunity. Still hopeful Mattson figures out how to best capitalize on his frame and puts it together. If they both play center, it would be two of the taller centers we've had.  Would that height be an advantage or disadvantage on faceoffs?

Cue Dustin Penner story

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Height is always an advantage (all else being equal) simple leverage.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Height is always an advantage (all else being equal) simple leverage.

Just wondering, as it seems some get their hands so close to the blade, then practically get down on their knees to get down so low.  Figured it would be hard to do when tall, but I suppose they might do that because they are operating from a disadvantage and that is the only way they can compensate.  So many different strategies, just really interesting to observe that little game within a game.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Weatherby received a 4.75 rating on NZ. That’s high.

Everyone knows to take these rankings with a pretty large grain of salt, but I did like what they had to say in their write up.

"has improved dramatically in the past three years. He has size, soft hands and excellent protection. He has the skill and ability to get pucks to the net and score in tight. Earned A at @bchllive Showcase."

Hopefully he is a late bloomer that is starting to but it together.

What I see at forwards is three seniors and Gersich and no Gornall. 
What I see in the forwards pipeline is a 97 (Keane) and three 98s (Weatherby, Mattson, Senden). 

What is more interesting is the gap in the forward pipeline: no 99s, but three each of 00s and 01s and two 02s.
Is there a 00 who really is ready for college hockey as an 18 YO?
Are there two (just in case one of the 97/98 don't keep improving)? 

Along that same thought process, at defense it's three 00s, an 01, and an 02. That said, the only flight risk (no seniors) I see is Wolanin. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I see at forwards is three seniors and Gersich and no Gornall. 
What I see in the forwards pipeline is a 97 (Keane) and three 98s (Weatherby, Mattson, Senden). 

What is more interesting is the gap in the forward pipeline: no 99s, but three each of 00s and 01s and two 02s.
Is there a 00 who really is ready for college hockey as an 18 YO?
Are there two (just in case one of the 97/98 don't keep improving)? 

Along that same thought process, at defense it's three 00s, an 01, and an 02. That said, the only flight risk (no seniors) I see is Wolanin. 

If they indeed do get Cruikshank, I would imagine he would be here next year. 

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

If they indeed do get Cruikshank, I would imagine he would be here next year. 

Which could well be a statement about the current 97/98 recruits. 

Side note: Grant Cruikshank's mother is US gold medal speed skater Bonnie Blair. Actually, both parents are US Olympic speed skaters.