SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

30 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Good post! I'm guessing Costello will be delayed till 19 or 20. Would love to see him develop more before coming here. Is Tychonick a senior in HS this year?

Anyone have any insight on Massimo Rizzo yet? We haven't had a huge bluechip freshman since Boesser (not like that was too long ago).

Tychonick is 17 currently and turns 18 in March, based strictly on his age, he'd be a HS senior. 

Don't get me wrong, because I'm always excited to get more local kids on the squad...but I just don't see it with Costello. I watched him struggle to create offense in several North Dakota High School hockey games. I watched him go scoreless against Devils Lake and I watched him get absolutely  worked by Grant Johnson and the entire central team the first game they played last year. I had to look at the roster sheet several times throughout both games to even figure out which guy he was...which usually isn't a good sign. I see he has the size and good skills for his size, but there must be some potential that I'm not seeing. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be a dud, if he even makes it to UND at all. 

I definitely see the potential in guys like Caulfield and Hain, so I don't think my scouting eye is that far off, is it? Anyone agree? I also see why there wasn't much interest in Grant Johnson. He's obviously small, but more importantly it seems he has topped out or peaked already. His playing style and skills fit in perfectly to be a dominant HS hockey player, but I don't see him transitioning to college very well. 

2 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Don't get me wrong, because I'm always excited to get more local kids on the squad...but I just don't see it with Costello. I watched him struggle to create offense in several North Dakota High School hockey games. I watched him go scoreless against Devils Lake and I watched him get absolutely  worked by Grant Johnson and the entire central team the first game they played last year. I had to look at the roster sheet several times throughout both games to even figure out which guy he was...which usually isn't a good sign. I see he has the size and good skills for his size, but there must be some potential that I'm not seeing. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be a dud, if he even makes it to UND at all. 

I definitely see the potential in guys like Caulfield and Hain, so I don't think my scouting eye is that far off, is it? Anyone agree? I also see why there wasn't much interest in Grant Johnson. He's obviously small, but more importantly it seems he has topped out or peaked already. His playing style and skills fit in perfectly to be a dominant HS hockey player, but I don't see him transitioning to college very well. 

I'm going to have to disagree. He'll be playing in the USHL this year and potentially a few years. He's going to learn and develop a lot. He wouldn't be participating in this --https://www.nhl.com/news/all-american-prospects-game-roster/c-291167714?tid=282288346 if he wasn't andy good.

In addition, he'll be a lot better than some current GF kids on UND now. No question.

https://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=104167

It will be interesting to see how he does in the USHL.  Like everybody, it is all about how he develops.  Don't know that Grant Potulny was ever considered a college prospect when he was in high school.  Would assume he would project as a power forward, so would assume they would want him to grind and put up some kind of numbers, but hard to tell right now how that would translate. However, he is a big player with some skill.  Trying to think of a bunch of UND power forwards that put up a ton of points, and most take some time to develop.  Poganski didn't put up huge points his first couple years but still was quite valuable.  Brad Malone certainly developed into a nice scorer, but took time to get there.  I am sure the coaches are going to let him develop in the USHL as long as it takes, but he was probably one of the guys that they had to offer or risk the chance of losing him.  I am sure the coaches do not like losing out on local talent. 

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 1-3-4 5GP (3rd on his team in scoring as the only '01, other forwards are '97-'99)

Keane '97 (F): 0-3-3 3GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 1-3-4 3GP

Reid '01 (D): 0-2-2 3GP

Bowen '02 (F): 0-0-0 1GP

Scheel '99 (G): 2-0-0 1.20 GAA .961 SV%

As early as it is, you couldn't really ask for better starts for the BCHL recruits. Blaisdell is definitely one to keep an eye on, had a great Development camp for Canada, solid start as an underager to his junior career, I believe he'd be a junior in HS. Reid with a late 01' DOB, is just going to turn 16, so I think that'd put him as a Sophomore.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 2-7-9 10GP (Team leader in points)

Keane '97 (F): 1-4-5 7GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 1-3-4 7GP

Reid '01 (D): 0-5-5 7GP

Scheel '99 (G): 4-0-0-1 1.45 GAA .952 SV% (2nd in the league in both GAA and SV%)

USHL Stats:

Senden '98 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Mattson '98 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Mancinelli '01 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Caulfield '01 (F): 1-2-3 1GP

Costello '00 (F): 1-0-1 2GP

AJHL Stats:

Bernard-Docker (D): 1-2-3 9GP

NTDP:

Hain '00 (F): 1-5-6 5GP

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2017 at 9:15 PM, AJS said:

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 2-7-9 10GP (Team leader in points)

Keane '97 (F): 1-4-5 7GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 1-3-4 7GP

Reid '01 (D): 0-5-5 7GP

Scheel '99 (G): 4-0-0-1 1.45 GAA .952 SV% (2nd in the league in both GAA and SV%)

USHL Stats:

Senden '98 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Mattson '98 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Mancinelli '01 (F): 0-0-0 2GP

Costello '00 (F): 1-0-1 2GP

AJHL Stats:

Bernard-Docker (D): 1-2-3 9GP

NTDP -18:

Hain '00 (F): 1-5-6 5GP

NTDP -17:

Caulfield '01 (F): 2-3-5 4GP

34 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Senden and Keane have to pick it up if they are ever going to make it to campus. 

We've had some duds and de-commits among our recruits that are NHLer's kids. Obviously not all, but not as solid as you'd expect.

Add Mattson to the group, as we all know recruiting is the life blood of a program, right now the two you mentioned and Mattson need to show something this year. All three have yet to do it in their junior careers. If you add Frisch and Donovan (00's) that are playing HS, the 00's & 01's (02's too far out) look to be outstanding. 

15 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Senden and Keane have to pick it up if they are ever going to make it to campus. 

We've had some duds and de-commits among our recruits that are NHLer's kids. Obviously not all, but not as solid as you'd expect.

I'm guessing Senden wasn't recruited because of his gaudy scoring numbers.  I don't think he was ever much of a scorer in high school. Will just be another valuable member of the UND hockey team that UM wishes it had

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dagies said:

I'm guessing Senden wasn't recruited because of his gaudy scoring numbers.  I don't think he was ever much of a scorer in high school. Will just be another valuable member of the UND hockey team that UM wishes it had

Yeah, would imagine a Johnny Simonson type of player, although Simonson did put up some numbers in the USHL.  Guessing since he is Captain of the Force that he has the work ethic and grit to be a good role player.   

20 hours ago, tnt said:

Yeah, would imagine a Johnny Simonson type of player, although Simonson did put up some numbers in the USHL.  Guessing since he is Captain of the Force that he has the work ethic and grit to be a good role player.   

Also has some valuable championship experience since he captained a state championship team. 

• 2 weeks later...

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 3-8-11 16GP

Keane '97 (F): 1-6-7 12GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 3-5-8 12GP

Reid '01 (D): 1-7-8 12GP

Scheel '99 (G): 5-2-0-1 1.92 GAA .932 SV% 

USHL Stats:

Senden '98 (F): 1-1-2 7GP

Mattson '98 (F): 1-0-1 7GP

Mancinelli '01 (F): 1-0-1 5GP

Costello '00 (F): 1-1-2 6GP

AJHL Stats:

Bernard-Docker (D): 2-5-7 14GP

NTDP -18:

Hain '00 (F): 1-5-6 10GP

NTDP -17:

Caulfield '01 (F): 4-4-8 7GP

Elite League:

Donovan '00 (F): 10-11-21 20GP

Kleven '02 (D): 1-9-10 18GP

Frisch '00 (D): 3-2-5 19GP

Kunz  '02 (F): 0-5-5 15GP

• 2 weeks later...

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 4-8-12 19GP

Keane '97 (F): 4-6-10 17GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 4-6-10 17GP

Reid '01 (D): 1-7-8 16GP

Scheel '99 (G): 5-5-0-1 2.38 GAA .924 SV% 

USHL Stats:

Senden '98 (F): 2-2-4 11GP

Mattson '98 (F): 3-2-5 11GP

Mancinelli '01 (F): 1-0-1 9GP

Costello '00 (F): 2-1-3 10GP

AJHL Stats:

Bernard-Docker '00 (D): 3-6-9 16GP

NTDP -18:

Hain '00 (F): 1-7-8 13GP

NTDP -17:

Caulfield '01 (F): 6-6-12 10GP

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Who are kind of our bluechip recruits right now? I seem to recall Tychonick being one.

Every persons definition of blue-chip varies a little, for me it's a sure fire first rounder. We really don't know since most of the recruits are still a few years off from being draft eligible and things can change quickly the older they get (see Mattson). Tychonick's current draft ranking on a few sites puts him in the 30s, which is borderline 1st, but most likely a 2nd round pick. For their age groups, I'd put potential blue-chippers as 00's - Tychonick, Donovan 01's - Reid, Caulfield 02's Kunz, Kleven, Bowen

Edit: There are some very talented players I didn't include that will end up being great college hockey players. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Every persons definition of blue-chip varies a little, for me it's a sure fire first rounder. We really don't know since most of the recruits are still a few years off from being draft eligible and things can change quickly the older they get (see Mattson). Tychonick's current draft ranking on a few sites puts him in the 30s, which is borderline 1st, but most likely a 2nd round pick. For their age groups, I'd put potential blue-chippers as 00's - Tychonick, Donovan 01's - Reid, Caulfield 02's Kunz, Kleven, Bowen

Edit: There are some very talented players I didn't include that will end up being great college hockey players. 

there are other criteria.  For instance, any recruit who turns down an offer from UMinn has his blue chip status revoked.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AJS said:

BCHL Stats:

Blaisdell '01 (F): 4-8-12 19GP

Keane '97 (F): 4-6-10 17GP

Tychonick '00 (D): 4-6-10 17GP

Reid '01 (D): 1-7-8 16GP

Scheel '99 (G): 5-5-0-1 2.38 GAA .924 SV% 

USHL Stats:

Senden '98 (F): 2-2-4 11GP

Mattson '98 (F): 3-2-5 11GP

Mancinelli '01 (F): 1-0-1 9GP

Costello '00 (F): 2-1-3 10GP

AJHL Stats:

Bernard-Docker '00 (D): 3-6-9 16GP

NTDP -18:

Hain '00 (F): 1-7-8 13GP

NTDP -17:

Caulfield '01 (F): 6-6-12 10GP

Minnesota High School Elite League

Kunz '02 (F): 3-8-11 19GP

Kleven '02 (D): 1-9-10 20GP

Donovan '00 (F): 10-11-21 20GP

After watching Senden play two this weekend, I've got to say his points don't fully represent his game - at least for the weekend.  Had decent jump and was typically in the right spot.  Always buzzing.

His line didn't put up big numbers (Senden had an assist), but they owned the ice in the shutout Friday.  Saturday was a tougher matchup, but he still managed a goal (against Tomek) in another win.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 12:25 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

What is the cut off for playing as a 21 year old in the USHL? As a January 98 birth day he can play another year in Juniors, correct?

Yes, 2018-2019 would be considered his 20 year old season- its all based on birth year.  A team can only carry 4 "overage" players on their roster (goalies excluded) 20 year olds are overagers by definition.