SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 hours ago, OshieRoll said:

I think the biggest difference between Toews and Brock/Tyson in this regard is that Toews was here a year before he got drafted so Toews was only here a year after he got drafted.  Who knows though... With these high-end guys you just have to take it a year at a time and enjoy every year that you do get out of them.

That's what impressed me the most about Toews' time at UND.  Toews was still only 18 when he played his last game for the Sioux.

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could be. If so, it shows you how well we have done at retaining talent.

It really does. UND gets that extra year from our first rounders. Gophers have been hit hard by players leaving after one year or so. They've been doing better as of late in retaining their picks for an extra year or two.

Gopher players leaving after one year

Phil Kessel (2005)

Erik Johnson (2006)

Jim OBrien (2007)

Kyle Okposo (2006, Part of 2007)

Nick Leddy (2009)

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Who in the hell is Jom OBrien? I don't remember him at all.

Might be a bad example as he left to play major juniors for 2 years before going pro. UofM still claim him as a former player who plays in the NHL. It does still show the struggle to keep the player in your program.  UND has had this problem, as any top end program will. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=97817

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

Can someone tell me what we are looking at please?

Unless I am out of my mind, that is Peter Thome in front. He was the winning goalie in the final of the Columbus's 3v3 prospect tournament at the end of development camp.

(He is committed to UND, playing for Omaha this year and coming to town next . . . maybe)

1 hour ago, joeyjr said:

Unless I am out of my mind, that is Peter Thome in front. He was the winning goalie in the final of the Columbus's 3v3 prospect tournament at the end of development camp.

(He is committed to UND, playing for Omaha this year and coming to town next . . . maybe)

Thank you!

16 hours ago, tho0505 said:

As was pointed by a poster on Brad's blog, Christian Cakebread is no longer committed to UND.  Not surprised by this. 

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/breaking_news/382548041.html

Is this a big loss? It seemed like he has struggled the last few years, perhaps he was injured. I wonder if we cut him lose or if he didn't want to come? You would think after winning the NC we would get some recruiting successes. Waiting to hear of some good recruiting pickups and not defections.

56 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Is this a big loss? It seemed like he has struggled the last few years, perhaps he was injured. I wonder if we cut him lose or if he didn't want to come? You would think after winning the NC we would get some recruiting successes. Waiting to hear of some good recruiting pickups and not defections.

Everything I've heard coming out of the Force, not official but fans and ardent followers, is that likely better off. Seemed to have some off ice issues which caused him to not put a whole lot of focus into his play, ie. a girl. Sounded like the Force shipped him away from her to get his focus back on hockey and his career. If he comes back here, all that would be lost again.

2 hours ago, snova4 said:

Everything I've heard coming out of the Force, not official but fans and ardent followers, is that likely better off. Seemed to have some off ice issues which caused him to not put a whole lot of focus into his play, ie. a girl. Sounded like the Force shipped him away from her to get his focus back on hockey and his career. If he comes back here, all that would be lost again.

A lot of that ^^ plus John Marks turned out to be a bad match for him as a coach.  16 yo Cakebread was referred to as "best hands on a 16 yo I've ever seen" by Hakstal.  18 yo Cakebread was cut by the Force and ended up with the Vipers.

3 hours ago, crb1 said:

His production has leveled off, so no surprised that UND wanted to keep him another year in juniors.  We saw the same thing happen with Danny Mattson (he later went to Bemijidi). We have been winning the recruiting battles and I would expect to land one or two high end names early next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Friday 9/30

Keegan Karki - 33 saves 6 GA vs at Youngstown team that out up 13 goals on the weekend. 

Matt Kierstad - 1 SOG

Mitchell MAttson - no stats accumulated 

Christian Evers - 1 SOG 2 Pims

Nicholas Jones - 1 Goal 4 Pims

Jonny Tychonick- 2 Pims

Saturday

Kierstad - 2A 3 shots +2

Mattson - 2a 3 shots against Kierstad team

Evers - 1 goal

Mark Senden - 1 shot

Grant Mishmash - 3 shots 2 Pims -1

Collin Adams - 1A 3 shots 2 Pims