SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

24 minutes ago, ClassB said:

Someone with a few more seasons under their belt--

does this his seem like an abnormally good time for recruiting? Jost, Hain, tychonik, blaisdell, karki, mattson, thome, manchineel I, etc? I know the players come in at different times due to their age and demands/readiness but it seems like the pipeline is getting really rich.

is this normal ?

All I will say is this: Since Brad Berry rejoined the staff, UND's recruiting successes have been absolutely lights out. 

• Upvote 3

On May 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Big A HG said:

I don't think it seems much different than most of the time personally.  I remember how huge it was when we signed Cichy and the Mattson kid who never made it to campus.

Wade Murphy. People seemed really excited about him.

On May 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM, UND99 said:

All I will say is this: Since Brad Berry rejoined the staff, UND's recruiting successes have been absolutely lights out. 

I don't know if it is Berry's presence, but the recruiting classes have been significantly different in the last 6-7 years. I always felt it was Hakstol trying to reshape the team to compete better against the Boston Colleges of the world: add speedy, offensively talented d-men to the team and keep hammering on the power forward prototype up front.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mikejm said:

I don't know if it is Berry's presence, but the recruiting classes have been significantly different in the last 6-7 years. I always felt it was Hakstol trying to reshape the team to compete better against the Boston Colleges of the world: add speedy, offensively talented d-men to the team and keep hammering on the power forward prototype up front.

The game has changed, too. You have to be able to skate and play in all three zones of the ice. Defense need to be mobile and start the play offensively. Berry mentioned this in a Through These Doors episode after he returned to UND.

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Looked over the WHL draft list last night. Vancouver Giants took Harrison Blaisdell 2nd round 31st overall. Get ready for a few years of flight risk. 

True, but at least in circumstances like that, you will know a year or two ahead what his plans are going to be.  

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Looked over the WHL draft list last night. Vancouver Giants took Harrison Blaisdell 2nd round 31st overall. Get ready for a few years of flight risk. 

I think he was supposed to be a top ten pick.

On 5/9/2016 at 4:52 PM, mikejm said:

Great point. Our team has definitely been redefined from hit 'em in the mouth type defensemen.  Definitely a different league now and our teams of the mid 2000s would be so hard to beat in a 7 game series, but in a one and done type situation, speed kills. 

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

With players committing so young and being from Canada, the WHL is really hard to turned down as Canadians push it hard for top tier players. Still 3+ years before he's on campus too...Hope for the best, but as we know, our UND staff is one of the best in the country at preparing and filling the cupboard full.    

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, brianvf said:

Hope we can continue our streak of getting 1st round draft picks to stay for 2 or 3 years.

I really hope that Osh is talking to Nick...3 years at UND = the Show...2 years at UND = the AHL, unless you are Jonathan Toews...

• 1 month later...

Thome should be in Columbus today for dev camp, if anyone wants to follow the jackets. They usually do a fair amount of updates and stream the scrimmage on the last day every year. Also. Crookston's Paul Bittner has taken over their Snapchat account.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, joeyjr said:

Thome should be in Columbus today for dev camp, if anyone wants to follow the jackets. They usually do a fair amount of updates and stream the scrimmage on the last day every year. Also. Crookston's Paul Bittner has taken over their Snapchat account.

Forgive the self-bump here but the Blue Jacket's 3 on 3 development camp tournament (with Sioux commit Thome wearing #41) will be today at 3:30pm Central. It should be streamed live on their webpage, their Facebook, YouTube, and (doubtful that you have it) their app. 

On 5/26/2016 at 1:33 PM, tho0505 said:

We'll be lucky to get him for more than a year. 

Never know, maybe the kid just gets it. Even Toews stayed more than 1 year. Hopefully he can watch Brock enough this year and understand what an extra year can do in terms of development and preparing him to jump straight to the NHL and make an impact.

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Never know, maybe the kid just gets it. Even Toews stayed more than 1 year. Hopefully he can watch Brock enough this year and understand what an extra year can do in terms of development and preparing him to jump straight to the NHL and make an impact.

I think the biggest difference between Toews and Brock/Tyson in this regard is that Toews was here a year before he got drafted so Toews was only here a year after he got drafted.  Who knows though... With these high-end guys you just have to take it a year at a time and enjoy every year that you do get out of them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, OshieRoll said:

I think the biggest difference between Toews and Brock/Tyson in this regard is that Toews was here a year before he got drafted so Toews was only here a year after he got drafted.  Who knows though... With these high-end guys you just have to take it a year at a time and enjoy every year that you do get out of them.

Very true. I'll be hopeful that we keep him for 2 years, but we'll see. Anyone know the last one and done was at UND? I guess Tambellini was only here half the season ... but who was the last one before that?

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Very true. I'll be hopeful that we keep him for 2 years, but we'll see. Anyone know the last one and done was at UND? I guess Tambellini was only here half the season ... but who was the last one before that?

Belfour?

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits