SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Here's what NHL Central Scouting had to say about a couple of UND commits heading into tomorrow's CJHL Top Prospect's Game:

Jackson Keane, MJHL Winnipeg Blues (Denver, Co.): A diminutive playmaking center with a high skill level and high compete game. He is a strong skater with good speed and quickness to always be around the puck and in the right place. Jackson is a heads-up player with the puck and has good vision and instincts when distributing puck; he finds a way to get the puck to the net. Jackson has the same work hard and work smart traits as his father, former NHL player and Stanley Cup champion Mike Keane.

Rhett Gardner, AJHL Okotoks Oilers (Moose Jaw, Sask.): A smart and solid, size/strength center. A capable skater with a good head of steam to carry the puck and lead a rush, he's also very good on face-offs. He plays a composed and controlled game where he always gets the puck to the net and generates scoring chances. Rhett has good offensive instincts and a quick read/react to take advantage or capitalize on opportunities. He's headed to North Dakota where he should develop into a two-way center.

Here's what NHL Central Scouting had to say about a couple of UND commits heading into tomorrow's CJHL Top Prospect's Game:

Jackson Keane, MJHL Winnipeg Blues (Denver, Co.): A diminutive playmaking center with a high skill level and high compete game. He is a strong skater with good speed and quickness to always be around the puck and in the right place. Jackson is a heads-up player with the puck and has good vision and instincts when distributing puck; he finds a way to get the puck to the net. Jackson has the same work hard and work smart traits as his father, former NHL player and Stanley Cup champion Mike Keane.

Rhett Gardner, AJHL Okotoks Oilers (Moose Jaw, Sask.): A smart and solid, size/strength center. A capable skater with a good head of steam to carry the puck and lead a rush, he's also very good on face-offs. He plays a composed and controlled game where he always gets the puck to the net and generates scoring chances. Rhett has good offensive instincts and a quick read/react to take advantage or capitalize on opportunities. He's headed to North Dakota where he should develop into a two-way center.

Everything about those two sound exactly like a prototype Sioux. Hard working, skilled and instinctual. Love it. Keep working, Rhett and Jackson. We can't wait to see you in Green and White.

It doesn't appear we are bringing in very many decent draft prospects.  Wilkie should be a mid rounder and Tomek being a goalie is a decent get however I do like when we pull higher recruits.  Especially since we are losing a decent amount of seniors after this year.

It doesn't appear we are bringing in very many decent draft prospects. Wilkie should be a mid rounder and Tomek being a goalie is a decent get however I do like when we pull higher recruits. Especially since we are losing a decent amount of seniors after this year.

This is troublesome. We used to bring in high end guys every year and it seems we've missed on a lot of them recently and had to get excited over mid level guys. I miss the days of having a first rounder on the 4th line.

This is troublesome. We used to bring in high end guys every year and it seems we've missed on a lot of them recently and had to get excited over mid level guys. I miss the days of having a first rounder on the 4th line.

Still a few high enders out there. Have faith, boys and girls.

From Schlossman on the Herald chat when asked about the lack of high-end talent: "I got a text a week or two ago from an NHL scout that said, "It's unreal how well UND recruits." Since he sees these guys a lot more than I do, I'll take his word for it. Matej Tomek was recruited by basically everyone, so he's definitely thought to be a high-end kid."

I have to call BS on that...  Looks like we are bringing in a number of players in the Frattin / Knight / Porter range...

It doesn't appear we are bringing in very many decent draft prospects.  Wilkie should be a mid rounder and Tomek being a goalie is a decent get however I do like when we pull higher recruits.  Especially since we are losing a decent amount of seniors after this year.

Has Hak lost his touch in recruiting?

Surprised you'd bring this up. ;)

I figured you're response would be something like..."How have we done the past X years with these guys?  How many natty's have these 1st rounders won?  Maybe that's what we need are "lower" end recruits...some rough around the edges, gritty players who like to get dirty?"

Then again, you put it all on Hak and not the players...

Haha me too.  I always like bragging about our NHL alumni.

Surprised you'd bring this up. ;)

I figured you're response would be something like..."How have we done the past X years with these guys? How many natty's have these 1st rounders won? Maybe that's what we need are "lower" end recruits...some rough around the edges, gritty players who like to get dirty?"

Then again, you put it all on Hak and not the players...

Ha!! Fantastic response. Back under the bridge, gf.

I have to call BS on that...  Looks like we are bringing in a number of players in the Frattin / Knight / Porter range...

Frattin AHL, Knight AHL (so far).  Porter is nice but he has been off campus for 5 years?  I'm talking the last 3-4 years.  Outside of the Schmaltz bros I think we are lacking those blue chippers.  I remember when we had 1st rounders playing on the third line.  I'm mostly joking boys.  I think this has more to do with the blue chippers going north.

Most of our gets for the upcoming year(s) are going to be undrafted or late round picks. Again, that's ok but I still love those blue chippers.

Frattin AHL, Knight AHL (so far).  Porter is nice but he has been off campus for 5 years?  I'm talking the last 3-4 years.  Outside of the Schmaltz bros I think we are lacking those blue chippers.  I remember when we had 1st rounders playing on the third line.  I'm mostly joking boys.  I think this has more to do with the blue chippers going north.

Most of our gets for the upcoming year(s) are going to be undrafted or late round picks. Again, that's ok but I still love those blue chippers.

Forget your 1st rounders, I'll take as many 36g-24a(Frattin) and 60% faceoff percentage(Knight) guys on our team as we can get! :)

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of curious who all these 1st rounders were who played on the 4th line.  Half our first rounders were defensemen, and I don't ever remember Landon Wilson, Parise, Stafford, Zajac, Oshie, Toews, Nelson or Schmaltz on the 4th line.

Maybe it's just me, but I find these discussions funny.  People always talk about the glory years of UND hockey.  It was unheard of to have first rounders on the team back when I was in Grand Forks and going to school at UND.  I could be wrong, but I think James Patrick holds the distinction of being the only 1st round draft pick to win a national championship at UND (1982).

• Upvote 1

Silly me I thought the goal was college hockey... You must really hate Troy Stretcher, Chay Genoway, Ryan Duncan, and Robbie Bina then... Not even drafted... ;-)

I'm kind of curious who all these 1st rounders were who played on the 4th line.  Half our first rounders were defensemen, and I don't ever remember Landon Wilson, Parise, Stafford, Zajac, Oshie, Toews, Nelson or Schmaltz on the 4th line.

Maybe it's just me, but I find these discussions funny.  People always talk about the glory years of UND hockey.  It was unheard of to have first rounders on the team back when I was in Grand Forks and going to school at UND.  I could be wrong, but I think James Patrick holds the distinction of being the only 1st round draft pick to win a national championship at UND (1982).

I believe Nelson played on the 4th line his Freshman year.  Then of course, we had the 2010-2011 team that year which was stacked from top to bottom.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits