SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Looks like Janatuinen has 12 goals and 17 assists in 29 games for Sioux City this year and since he will turn 20 in February guessing he will come in next year.

Keane will turn 18 in April so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays another year of juniors before coming in. I also like that the last 2 Canadian recruits both have played with and have some ties to Fabbro and Jost hopefully they can do some recruiting of their own for UND. 

With Chris Wilkie's hat trick last night, he became the leading goal scorer in the USHL. Hopefully Janatuinen can be a good set-up guy in college and can feed either him or Boeser. I know Boeser is still more likely Minnesota bound, but it ain't over until it's over. I like the things I read on how competitive Janatuinen and Keane are.

They would make room.

Count me as a bit of a skeptic. At some point, the numbers and scholarship just doesn't add up to more and more. My bet is the coaches already have a good idea of how things are likely going to go and decided to pull the trigger on other options.

Count me as a bit of a skeptic. At some point, the numbers and scholarship just doesn't add up to more and more. My bet is the coaches already have a good idea of how things are likely going to go and decided to pull the trigger on other options.

There' plenty of room when you have potential to have guys wait a year, perhaps even two. Nobody usually gets a full ride, and some don't get much at all, so it's a matter of how many guys you think make for an effective roster.

Shane Gersich gets one SOG and scored his shootout goal in the win.

Christian Wolanin gets the lone goal in the loss for Muskegon had 2 SOG.

Christian Evers gets an assist in the win over Chicago.

Zach Yon gets 2 SOG in the win for Fargo. Cakebread doesn't play.

Hayden Shaw gets an assist and 2 SOG in the loss to Wilkies Tri-City team.

Wilkie gets 7 SOG in the win.

Matej Tomek stops 31 in the win over Wichita Falls. Lets 2 in.

Dayns Chartrand stays off the point sheet for Flin Flon in the win.

Dixon Bowen gets 2 goals against GFC.

Mark Senden gets a goal on 3 SOG in the loss to Holy Family

Matt Kierstad gets 3 SOG in the win over Champlin Park

There' plenty of room when you have potential to have guys wait a year, perhaps even two. Nobody usually gets a full ride, and some don't get much at all, so it's a matter of how many guys you think make for an effective roster.

I know you can defer players but you can only do so much of it before you end up hitting a wall. Even if you defer one guy for a year, it is still a scholarship you have to account for a year later and most of these guys that you might bring in next year are still going to be there the year after. At some point, the numbers simply don't add up.

My belief is we will not see Boeser, Matthews, or the two kids from Penticton coming here and Hak probably knows it. So he doesn't sit around waiting and goes to Plan B options.

I know you can defer players but you can only do so much of it before you end up hitting a wall. Even if you defer one guy for a year, it is still a scholarship you have to account for a year later and most of these guys that you might bring in next year are still going to be there the year after. At some point, the numbers simply don't add up.

My belief is we will not see Boeser, Matthews, or the two kids from Penticton coming here and Hak probably knows it. So he doesn't sit around waiting and goes to Plan B options.

Well if that is the case, then they still probably need another forward for next year because like others, I believe they would like to have others get more junior experience so they are more likely to make an impact when they get here.

While I think there's still a chance one of those guys shows up, I was pretty much thinking along the same lines you are when I saw the recent commitments.

While I think there's still a chance one of those guys shows up, I was pretty much thinking along the same lines you are when I saw the recent commitments.

A couple of the recent commits are at least a couple years away and really don't impact guys like Boeser, Matthews, and Tkachuck at all as they would definitely come in next season. Looking at 2016 when Jost and Fabbro would come in we would definitely have some room for them as well and may even have a few more spots open if there are some early departures that year. These are the type of guys you recruit as hard as you can and if they decide they want to come to UND whether you have room or not you make it work. You also never know how exactly things could play out a guy like Murphy who has struggled to see the ice may end up deciding to transfer. A guy like Cakebread who is really struggling in juniors could end up never making it to campus as has happened in the past with Rowe and Danny Mattson. I'm not saying Murphy will transfer and Cakebread won't end up on campus I'm just saying you just never know how things can play out with the roster situation.

There is a little too much of a fantasy hockey attitude with some fans when it comes to recruiting. It's like they think we have endless room for next hot recruit. At some point, they need to be rational.

There is a little too much of a fantasy hockey attitude with some fans when it comes to recruiting. It's like they think we have endless room for next hot recruit. At some point, they need to be rational.

???  Although getting Boeser, Matthews, Jost or Fabbro are long extreme long shots they would all be offered a spot if they wanted to come here.  Hak would make room for them.

• Upvote 1

A couple of the recent commits are at least a couple years away and really don't impact guys like Boeser, Matthews, and Tkachuck at all as they would definitely come in next season. Looking at 2016 when Jost and Fabbro would come in we would definitely have some room for them as well and may even have a few more spots open if there are some early departures that year. These are the type of guys you recruit as hard as you can and if they decide they want to come to UND whether you have room or not you make it work. You also never know how exactly things could play out a guy like Murphy who has struggled to see the ice may end up deciding to transfer. A guy like Cakebread who is really struggling in juniors could end up never making it to campus as has happened in the past with Rowe and Danny Mattson. I'm not saying Murphy will transfer and Cakebread won't end up on campus I'm just saying you just never know how things can play out with the roster situation.

I think this could very easily happen. Seems like this was a case of a young kid having a great start to his USHL career (2-3 weeks) and therefore being a hot recruiting commodity and then falling back to earth. I think coaches need to be very careful about offering young kids after early success. Cakebread seems like those first couple of weeks were just a flash in the pan and over the long haul you see the true player.

A couple of UND recruits that are having some success in the USHL each scored in the USHL/NHL showcase game Tuesday night.  Wolanin scored the 5th goal for the East in the first period as they got off to a 6-0 lead on Chris Wilkie's West team.  Wilkie also scored as the West lost 7-4.  http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/466165?referrer_id=1348814

Hayden Shaw gets an assist with 4 SOG in a loss to Sioux Falls.

Zach Yon stays off the pointsheet with 2 SOG. Cakebread also stays off as Fargo wins.

Christian Wolanin gets 2 assists in the win for Muskegon 2 SOG.

Shane Gersich stays off the point sheet with 3 SOG.

Matej Tomek gets a win saving 20 of 22. 

On wednesday Rhett Gardner had a goal and 3 assists in a big win for Okotoks.  Fairly certain he was here tonight for the game.

Dayns Chartrand gets an assist in the Flin Flon loss tonight.

Jackson Keane gets an assist in the win for Winnipeg tonight.
Andrew Peski stays off the point sheet in the loss for Brockville.

Christian Evers stays even and off the pointsheet in the win for Team USA.

Chris Wilkie gets 3 SOG in the win for Tri-City.

Hayden Shaw stays off the point sheet getting 6 SOG in the win for Waterloo.

Zach Yon gets an assist in the shootout win for Fargo.  Cakebread also had an assist in the game.

Christian Wolanin gets an assist and 1 SOG in the loss for Muskegon also 2 PIMS.

Shane Gersich's Omaha beat Wolanin and Shane had 1 SOG in the game.

Rhett Gardner gets an assist in the only goal for Okotoks in the loss.

Matej Tomek gets the day off in the Topeka loss.

Jackson Keane gets a goal and an assist in the win for Winnipeg.

Dayns Chartrand stays off the point sheet in the loss for Flin Flon.

Matt Kiersted stays off the point sheet in the loss for Elk River.

Mark Senden gets a goal and an assist in the loss for Wayzata.  Also had 6 PIMS.