SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Christian Evers goes +1 with 1 SOG in the USHL loss.

Jack Rowe gets 3 shots on goal and 2 PIMS in the win. 

Chris Wilkie gets a goal on one shot in the win for Tri-City.

Christian Cakebread stays off the pointsheet for Fargo in the win.

Zach Yon also stayed off as Fargo beat Sioux Falls.

Andrew Peski stays off the point sheet as Brockville won.

Danys Chartrand gets a goal as Flin Flon wins.

Dixon Bowen gets 2 goals and an assist and 2 PIMS as EGF beat Warroad today.  Bowen also got an assist in the lost to Bemidji on Tuesday.

On Tuesday Matt Kiersted had two assists in the win over Andover, Thursday he had one assist and 5 PIMs. in the loss to Eden Prairie.  And Friday Kiersted stayed off the point sheet in the loss.  He plays Grand Rapids tomorrow.

Thursday Mitchell Mattson had 2 assists in the loss to Edina and Friday Mattson stayed off the point sheet in the loss to Eden Praire.

• 2 weeks later...

Defenseman recruit Christian Wolanin (Muskegon Lumberjacks) will also take part.

I wonder why Hayden shaw wasn't invited? He the best defensemen on Waterloo and was just on the U.S. team in the world junior A classic. Kid is averaging almost a point per game. I have to be missing something here.

Word on Twitter is that Muskegon's Jack Rowe has de-committed from UND.

I saw somewhere that he signed his letter in November, is that not the case?  I assume UND can release him from that though, which may be the case when they talked about potential playing time.  Too bad it didn't work out, as I think his dad played in town here and his grandparents still live here.

I've seen people speculating on Twitter that UND has been "jerking" around Rowe for a while. Guess what, in the college hockey environment today with players going to Major Junior and what not, if you are an average player, you are going to get pushed back in order to get more skill in the lineup to offset talented defections. It's sad in a way, but it is the state of college hockey. Add to the mix that Rowe has had injury problems every year, and you get this type of scenario.

I'm suddenly wondering who will round out the forwards next season.  If we lose Cagguila (or any other underclassman), we may only have one extra forward on the roster. 

[Edit]  Given that Cakebread has only 3 points in the USHL this season, we may have zero extra forwards with the departure of Rowe.  Perhaps Yon comes in next season, and we add a new recruit?

I'm suddenly wondering who will round out the forwards next season. If we lose Cagguila (or any other underclassman), we may only have one extra forward on the roster.

[Edit] Given that Cakebread has only 3 points in the USHL this season, we may have zero extra forwards with the departure of Rowe. Perhaps Yon comes in next season, and we add a new recruit?

I don't believe Yon is ready.

I'm suddenly wondering who will round out the forwards next season.  If we lose Cagguila (or any other underclassman), we may only have one extra forward on the roster. 

[Edit]  Given that Cakebread has only 3 points in the USHL this season, we may have zero extra forwards with the departure of Rowe.  Perhaps Yon comes in next season, and we add a new recruit?

Yon will still be 2016 I would guess.

Hakstol had a phone chat with Rowe and told him the circumstances.  Due to the recent (not yet released) commitment of Boeser and Matthews for 2015, Cagguila told Hak that he was hoping to stay another year for the "dream season" of playing with that many high talented forwards.  Upon hearing this, both Schmaltz brothers signed the pact to stay another season as well.  Essentially Hak had to tell Rowe that there wouldn't be room for him again, and they both mutually agreed that a different college might be best for him.

At least that's how I have it playing out. :)

Happy New Year to everyone in SiouxSports land!

• Upvote 2

Hakstol had a phone chat with Rowe and told him the circumstances. Due to the recent (not yet released) commitment of Boeser and Matthews for 2015, Cagguila told Hak that he was hoping to stay another year for the "dream season" of playing with that many high talented forwards. Upon hearing this, both Schmaltz brothers signed the pact to stay another season as well. Essentially Hak had to tell Rowe that there wouldn't be room for him again, and they both mutually agreed that a different college might be best for him.

Holding you to it

Hakstol had a phone chat with Rowe and told him the circumstances.  Due to the recent (not yet released) commitment of Boeser and Matthews for 2015, Cagguila told Hak that he was hoping to stay another year for the "dream season" of playing with that many high talented forwards.  Upon hearing this, both Schmaltz brothers signed the pact to stay another season as well.  Essentially Hak had to tell Rowe that there wouldn't be room for him again, and they both mutually agreed that a different college might be best for him.

I like the way you think.

I've thought about this too. Five regular forwards for sure will be gone after this season (seniors Gaarder, MacMillan, O'Donnell, Parks, Pattyn), with a sixth (Caggiula) that could potentially leave in order to sign a free agent deal. We currently have just six committed forward recruits who would even be eligible to come in this fall (Yon, Gersich, Wilkie, Gardner, Bowen, & Cakebread), and I would say only two or three of those commits (Gersich, Wilkie, maybe Gardner) are ready to play at the NCAA level. 

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully the potential to earn a lot of playing time helps to entice the likes of Boeser and Matthews.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits