SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

It's tricky getting a read on guys when they play about two thirds of the game. They don't play the way you'd like them to, with a motor always running. Instead, there's a fair amount of coasting, and energy conservation. When Yon had the puck, he was off to the races, with good speed. His shot is very good already, with a super quick release; plus it was low and hard, which leads to rebounds. Away from the puck, not as impressive, but I can chalk that up to all the icetime, as I mentioned above.

My only pre-Sioux exposure to Oshie was in the state tourney as well, and I thought he needed a year in the USHL to learn what it was like to play all-out for 45 seconds, instead of off and on for two plus minutes. I was pretty badly wrong on Oshie, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Also, I'm not comparing him to Oshie as a player, just as a guy playing two thirds of every game.

Zach Yon with a goal and 2 assists in Roseau's 5-3 consolation win over Centennial. Also was stopped on a penalty shot and hit a couple posts. His teammate Strand was impressive again and had 2 goals and 2 assists in the win.

Who has yons ushl rights? Kid can play!

I thought I saw that he went undrafted so I'm not sure how that all works. I believe he did skate in a camp this summer with Sioux Falls and I know Eades has seen him play at least a few times.

He can still be drafted in the USHL draft. And I'd be surprised if he wasn't this summer.

Shane Gersich stays even in the win for Team USA.

Cam Johnson saves 36 or 38 in the win. Hayden Shaw stays even.

Trevor Olson gets a goal on 4 shots in the loss in his first game back.

John Simonson doesnt play for lincoln tonight.

Tucker Poolman gets a assist and +2 rating in the win.

Nick Schmaltz stays even with 4 shots.

Jack Rowe gets an assist but -1 rating on 3 shots.

Chris Wilkie gets 3 shots and stays even. Austin Poganski gets and assist but -1 rating.

Ryan Mantha also doenst play.

Through two Charlie Pelnik is even.

Dayns Chartrand stays even.

Rhett Gardner stays even for the oilers.

I thought I saw that he went undrafted so I'm not sure how that all works. I believe he did skate in a camp this summer with Sioux Falls and I know Eades has seen him play at least a few times.

As I understand the USHL rules, being he is undrafted/not on any team's protected/affiliate list he is unable to be picked up by any USHL teams for the remainder of the season. He will most assuredly be drafted in the USHL Phase II Draft this May though.

Yon is, however, on the Protected list of the NAHL's Bismarck Bobcats (as is his Roseau HS teammate Alex Strand), so he could still see action in juniors this year. ND high school standouts Jared Spooner (Bismarck) and Harrison Aide (Bottineau) have already seen some ice time with Bismarck since the ND HS season concluded.

Shane Gersich is +1 in the win with 1 shot.

Johnny Simonson not back into the lineup tonight.

Ryan Mantha with an assist and +2 rating with 3 shots in the win over Lincoln.

Tucker Poolman is -2 with 4 shots and 2 PIMs.

Chris Wilkie is -4 with 5 shots in the loss. Austin Poganski gets a goal and an assist with a +1 rating and two shots.

Jack Rowe with a goal and +1 rating. Also had 5 shots and 5 penalty minutes for fighting.

Nick Schmaltz gets a goal and -2 rating with 5 shots in the loss.

Hayden Shaw is +2 in the win with 1 shot and 2 PIMs. Cam Johnson is on the bench.

Through 2 Charlie Pelnik is even. Update from last night Charlie ended with an assist.

Days gets an assist in Flin Flons win.

As a Sioux fan, you have to love reading the following paragraphs from the article:

'So it would only be natural for the Chaska, Minn. native to follow his dad and uncles to Dinkytown, right?

Instead Gersich, an Under-18 forward at USA Hockey's National Team Development Program, will move on next season to the Gophersā€™ longtime rivals, the University of North Dakota.

ā€œObviously, it was between Minnesota and North Dakota,ā€ he said. ā€œNorth Dakotaā€™s facility speaks for itself. The coaches are professional. I just like it. My dad didnā€™t give me any grief. He told me it was really up to me.ā€'

• Upvote 2

As a Sioux fan, you have to love reading the following paragraphs from the article:

'So it would only be natural for the Chaska, Minn. native to follow his dad and uncles to Dinkytown, right?

Instead Gersich, an Under-18 forward at USA Hockey's National Team Development Program, will move on next season to the Gophersā€™ longtime rivals, the University of North Dakota.

ā€œObviously, it was between Minnesota and North Dakota,ā€ he said. ā€œNorth Dakotaā€™s facility speaks for itself. The coaches are professional. I just like it. My dad didnā€™t give me any grief. He told me it was really up to me.ā€'

Hum... Seems as if the coaching staff is a good sell at UND...