SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

To be fair to Jordan Schmaltz, a lot of kids get that "potential top ten" label, including a number of Sioux recruits. I'm sure he'll be a good one, but there's only 10 kids that ultimately get that honor. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up in the 2nd or 3rd round come draft day (and that's no offense to Jordan).

To be fair to Jordan Schmaltz, a lot of kids get that "potential top ten" label, including a number of Sioux recruits. I'm sure he'll be a good one, but there's only 10 kids that ultimately get that honor. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up in the 2nd or 3rd round come draft day (and that's no offense to Jordan).

I agree.

The only Top 10 picks out there are the ones picked in the top 10.

Remember Michael Forney? He was a Potential First Round pick. He went in the what.. .3rd or 4th round?

Everything rides on how he develops.... and luck.

Brad reports that Grimaldi according to Red Line Report is ranked around 66. Might be mostly due to his size, dropping so much. A lot can happen from ages 18-21 though so I wouldnt be surprised for him to grow a couple inches. Hopefully we'll see Rocco for 3+ yrs!

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=85494

He's still in the top 30 according to ISS rankings.

Just to make the list at 5'6" tells you how talented he is. He could hit a monstrous Bjudstad (sp?) like growth spurt and grow 6 inches and still be considered a little too short.

Really?

Put Rocco's mobility and skill set in a 6'0 tall frame and we could be talking top 10 draft pick. My opinion anyways.

I was at the Sioux City and Indiana game last night. Nick Mattson had a goal and looked pretty good. He isn't very physical and his defense will have to tighten up, but he has great patience with the puck, good hands, and one of the best passers I have seen in any league. He was very poised with the puck and made alot of great breakout plays when his team was having trouble getting things going. Schmaltz was good, but definitely showed his age. He is very skinny and will need to put on alot of muscle mass. He skates fairly well and has some good hands. He would bounce back and forth between a great shift and a poor to average shift. Another year or two and he should be a very nice addition to UND.

Any further word on Danny Mattson??

Kirk's Call: Gothberg's path showing promise

If the old adage holds true that goaltenders take a longer time to develop than any other position in hockey, then Zane Gothberg is more than happy to play out the string and wait for his NHL shot.

The 18-year-old graduate of Thief River Falls (Minn.) High School and the sixth-round selection (165th overall) of the Boston Bruins in last summer

Grimaldi isn't letting small stature stand in his way

Ron Rolston, coach of the USNTDP's Under-18 squad, is an every-day witness to Grimaldi's tenacity on the ice.

"He's not very big, but in terms of his ability to make things happen, especially offensively, he's unbelievably dynamic," Rolston said. "He skates well and has a great first step. In terms of his skills, he's outstanding. He's someone on our team we look to create offense every game and, without question, one of our most dynamic forwards."

"If ever I lose a battle in the corner with a big guy, it's not because he's bigger or stronger than me, it's because I did something wrong and he just took advantage. I didn't get in or get out quick enough. It really makes no difference to me how much a guy weighs." -- Rocco Grimaldi