SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

If more of these guys realized that moving to the next level too fast can change the trajectory of your career, maybe more of them wouldn't be in such a hurry to move up too quickly.  That can be said at many levels.  Mid round range draft guys are most likely going to need a good while to develop anyway, why not stay an extra year in Juniors and be ready to make a splash when you reach the next level, rather than having to sit on the bench while others eat up the big minutes. 

Completely agree.

Definitely a log jam next year.  6 returning guys that saw a lot of ice  - Poolman, Peske, Bast, Kierstad, Jonny, and JBD.  Always some injuries and healthy scratches, but that's a pretty solid group.  Outside some long-term injures, I don't see (2) freshman getting 20-25 games each.  Seems one more year of juniors for one of them would be more beneficial for their development.

The next year we'll lose Peske, Poolman, and probably a couple early departures.  

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Thought I saw a pic of Frisch signing his letter of intent. 

Not confirming or denying anything about any particular player, but LOI's are void if a college decides to defer a recruit for a year. They are enforceable if the recruit decides to delay himself.

Typically, a coach will commit a kid with the understanding of a "year of juniors". So, the kid skips his senior year of HS and signs his LOI while in his first year of juniors. Towards the end of the season the coach says "we'd like you to play a second year of juniors." Well, the kid doesn't want to wait, so he doesn't self-defer, so his LOI is unenforceable unless the coach brings him in.

3 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Not confirming or denying anything about any particular player, but LOI's are void if a college decides to defer a recruit for a year. They are enforceable if the recruit decides to delay himself.

Typically, a coach will commit a kid with the understanding of a "year of juniors". So, the kid skips his senior year of HS and signs his LOI while in his first year of juniors. Towards the end of the season the coach says "we'd like you to play a second year of juniors." Well, the kid doesn't want to wait, so he doesn't self-defer, so his LOI is unenforceable unless the coach brings him in.

So why the big secret about who you think it is?   It's not like you said it's 100 percent certain.  Perhaps you enjoy watching the speculation.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

So why the big secret about who you think it is?   It's not like you said it's 100 percent certain.  Perhaps you enjoy watching the speculation.

Out of respect for the player's privacy. They should be free to contemplate their decision without us rubes chiming in.

If I knew it was 100% certain I'd absolutely say who it is. Of course, it's not 100% until the player has told both coaching staffs, which hasn't happened to my knowledge. If I learn that has happened I will break the news here first.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Exiled One said:

Out of respect for the player's privacy. They should be free to contemplate their decision without us rubes chiming in.

If I knew it was 100% certain I'd absolutely say who it is. Of course, it's not 100% until the player has told both coaching staffs, which hasn't happened to my knowledge. If I learn that has happened I will break the news here first.

I agree but why even chime in the first time?

2 hours ago, The Exiled One said:

If one of you heard a similar rumor going the other way, I'd want to hear about it. I figured I'd pay it forward.

This winter, I did hear that Motzko was trying to flip one of UND's recruits, is this what you're talking about? 

I know there's a real long line of players that switch commitments. I have a more basic very broad question. How many of the commitments that switch actual poaching type situations and not either players deciding to decommit on their own and open up their recruiting (Donovan / Boeser) or the University decides that player is no longer a good fit (Mitchell Mattson), or is it pretty common place for every school (usually be "bigger" named schools) to still be putting out feelers seeing if guys would be interested in switching?

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

If Frisch wants to come in you bring him in. This staff better not make the same mistake they did with Donovan and end up losing him because of it.

He'll probably come in, but TBH, another year of USHL hockey is exactly what he needs.  Clearly the league was very tough for him this year.  If we need a dman bad (which we don't obviously), I'd flip an over ager like Attard to come in.

Back to Frisch.  I just think it would benefit him to log a ton of minutes (in all situations) and come in more polished and extend his development cycle by a year.

27 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He'll probably come in, but TBH, another year of USHL hockey is exactly what he needs.  Clearly the league was very tough for him this year.  If we need a dman bad (which we don't obviously), I'd flip an over ager like Attard to come in.

Back to Frisch.  I just think it would benefit him to log a ton of minutes (in all situations) and come in more polished and extend his development cycle by a year.

Assuming it's him, and all but one of us apparently have no real idea who it is, he might see SCSU as a place where he can step right in and get quality minutes.  They're going to lose some bodies on defense after this year.  It looks to me, according to the CHN site, that they have four seniors on D, along with Ahcan who might be a flight risk.  Now, not all of those seniors are getting playing time, but that's still a lot of roster holes.

I will go on record and say I do not believe the recruit in question is Frisch considering the reason he got traded to Fargo was because of Berry wanting him to play for a playoff contender before coming to UND. It just doesn’t make sense. 

This is from a month ago, and if he knew he was gonna be at UND in the fall a month ago, flipping now would be in pretty poor taste. 

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/02/27/frisch-ready-to-get-started-with-playoff-contender-after-trade-to-force/

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I will go on record and say I do not believe the recruit in question is Frisch considering the reason he got traded to Fargo was because of Berry wanting him to play for a playoff contender before coming to UND. It just doesn’t make sense. 

This is from a month ago, and if he knew he was gonna be at UND in the fall a month ago, flipping now would be in pretty poor taste. 

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/02/27/frisch-ready-to-get-started-with-playoff-contender-after-trade-to-force/

Frisch is coming this fall. The source is pretty rock solid. 

Good to hear @siouxforce19 / @skateshattrick!

This isn't a knock at all, but given Bast is just a Senior this year, another year of Juniors will be a benefit all around for both him and UND. As I think it would have for Frisch as well.

Where we stand though, Frisch coming in next year and Bast being delayed one year is the optimal situation.

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Assuming it's him, and all but one of us apparently have no real idea who it is, he might see SCSU as a place where he can step right in and get quality minutes.  They're going to lose some bodies on defense after this year.  It looks to me, according to the CHN site, that they have four seniors on D, along with Ahcan who might be a flight risk.  Now, not all of those seniors are getting playing time, but that's still a lot of roster holes.

Actually, Huskies are pretty set at D next year according to my handy recruiting chart.

• Kuster would be a redshirt senior next season, but he graduates this spring. He could also transfer for grad school and play right away.

• Ahcan could leave because he'd get a great pro deal. Also, he's doing just fine in school, but he's not one of our academic studs.

• Ziemer could get cut or delayed because he's one of Motzko's old recruits and he's not performing all that well in the BCHL.

Even without the three above, there would STILL be seven defensemen who all deserve significant playing time. So in theory they could add another defenseman, but there's not that much of a need.

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good to hear @siouxforce19 / @skateshattrick!

This isn't a knock at all, but given Bast is just a Senior this year, another year of Juniors will be a benefit all around for both him and UND. As I think it would have for Frisch as well.

Where we stand though, Frisch coming in next year and Bast being delayed one year is the optimal situation.

Frisch and Bast are the same age.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits