SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I really don't think anyone is bashing the recruits coming in next year.  They are talking about one that got away (me personally, I'd much rather lose RD than not bring in Blaisdell next year). However, Blaisdell did cool off considerably towards the end of the year.

Just a difference in perception. I guess I would perceive talking about “former recruits” that got away as complaining, based on some of the context. I can understand why not everyone has the same perception as I do though. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If you’re bored of discussion on how UND sucks at recruiting, here are a couple recent articles on Harrison Blaisdell.  :D

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/03/01/all-he-does-is-win-blaisdell-keeps-adding-to-impressive-trophy-case

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/02/26/prospect-profile-harrison-blaisdell/

...if not, carry on... :whistling:

His two-way approach and attention to detail defensively often drive his offensive game through a “create a turnover and transition it up ice very quickly” style of play. Consistently one of the hardest workers on the ice, the current Chilliwack Chief is a catalyst for his high-powered line with his tenacity and dogged puck pursuit in all zones on the ice. A fantastic skater, the former Pat Canadian plays the game with tremendous pace, flying up and down the ice.

I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been watching the BCHL playoffs. 

Penticton was eliminated tonight in game 6 so Rizzo’s season is done. (Note: Rizzo is going to draw a lot of penalties next year so if we could figure out the PP that’d be great. :whistling: )

Chilliwack (with Blaisdell & Bowen) won their game 7 last night. Blaisdell had a PP goal. (Side note: I watched all 7 games, and I’ve never seen a goalie get run so many times in my life.) 

Wenatchee (with Murphy Stratton) won their game 7 to advance. Stratton had 4 goals, 4 assists in the opening round. I didnt catch much of this series but hopefully will catch more of round 2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Penticton was eliminated tonight in game 6 so Rizzo’s season is done. (Note: Rizzo is going to draw a lot of penalties next year so if we could figure out the PP that’d be great. :whistling: )

Chilliwack (with Blaisdell & Bowen) won their game 7 last night. Blaisdell had a PP goal. (Side note: I watched all 7 games, and I’ve never seen a goalie get run so many times in my life.) 

Wenatchee (with Murphy Stratton) won their game 7 to advance. Stratton had 4 goals, 4 assists in the opening round. I didnt catch much of this series but hopefully will catch more of round 2. 

I haven't gotten to watch either Blaisdell or Rizzo play much, but I've read a lot about them. Who would you compare them to from recent UND teams? Anybody either one reminds you of? 

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Also because I'm lazy what's the eligibility of Stratton playing a year in the WHL? He was what 16? Seems like a shame to punish a kid at that age.

1 hour ago, Sioux1988 said:

Also because I'm lazy what's the eligibility(I hope that's right) of Stratton playing a year in the WHL? He was what 16? Seems like a shame to punish a kid at that age.

He sits out next season and 7 games in 2020-21 season

7 hours ago, SiouxFan25 said:

I haven't gotten to watch either Blaisdell or Rizzo play much, but I've read a lot about them. Who would you compare them to from recent UND teams? Anybody either one reminds you of? 

I’d say Rizzo reminds me a bit of Rocco Grimaldi, in that he draws a lot of penalties because he’s crafty, and seems to make things happen out of nothing. 

Berry has compared Blaisdell to Drake Caggiula before and I can definitely see shades of that, in that like Drake he can score goals in multiple ways (net front, tips, has a good shot, pulling out the flashy move once in a while). Entertaining player. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’d say Rizzo reminds me a bit of Rocco Grimaldi, in that he draws a lot of penalties because he’s crafty, and seems to make things happen out of nothing. 

Berry has compared Blaisdell to Drake Caggiula before and I can definitely see shades of that, in that like Drake he can score goals in multiple ways (net front, tips, has a good shot, pulling out the flashy move once in a while). Entertaining player. 

I haven't seen either of them play....however their numbers don't jump off the page.  Especially since their teams are good and it's a high scoring league.  I have heard they're very good though; Rizzo is pretty slick and crafty I have heard.  Clearly not first round talent though, I'm guessing they go in rounds 2-4.  Blaisdell was doing phenomenal there for awhile however his numbers tapered off towards the end of the year and his playoff stats (so far) haven't been good.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I haven't seen either of them play....however their numbers don't jump off the page.  Especially since their teams are good and it's a high scoring league.  I have heard they're very good though; Rizzo is pretty slick and crafty I have heard.  Clearly not first round talent though, I'm guessing they go in rounds 2-4.  Blaisdell was doing phenomenal there for awhile however his numbers tapered off towards the end of the year and his playoff stats (so far) haven't been good.

None of the games I’ve seen were high scoring, but it is the playoffs so that’s to be expected. I wasn’t impressed with Penticton’s team at all tbh. Though they lost every game I watched, so I’m sure that has something to do with it.  I wasn’t that impressed with Rizzo the first time I saw him, but increased viewings changed my view. Chilliwack is pretty good but they had a really tough time in the first round. I think their top scorer has 5 points. Their top players didn’t produce much in round 1. Blaisdell played pretty well aside from game 1. He was fighting the puck a bit. But both of them  pass my eye test. 

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Is it still a higher scoring league than the USHL, yes, but the overall numbers have steady decreased over the years in the BCHL. Newhook (Top 10 pick) is the only guys putting up ridiculous numbers and there is only other who is above 1.50 PPG. Really looking at the Top 20, the PPG is just slightly better than the USHL this year. 

I always make a point when looking at a guy like Rizzo / Blaisdell (who still have good numbers), that they are still Seniors in High school. For guys that have played over 30 games, Blaisdell is 13th in PPG, Rizzo 21st. 14 Guys in the Top 20 have a DOB either 98 or 99, 3 guys '00, Newhook / Campbell are the 01's who are ahead of them in PPG. 

23 hours ago, AJS said:

Is it still a higher scoring league than the USHL, yes, but the overall numbers have steady decreased over the years in the BCHL. Newhook (Top 10 pick) is the only guys putting up ridiculous numbers and there is only other who is above 1.50 PPG. Really looking at the Top 20, the PPG is just slightly better than the USHL this year. 

I always make a point when looking at a guy like Rizzo / Blaisdell (who still have good numbers), that they are still Seniors in High school. For guys that have played over 30 games, Blaisdell is 13th in PPG, Rizzo 21st. 14 Guys in the Top 20 have a DOB either 98 or 99, 3 guys '00, Newhook / Campbell are the 01's who are ahead of them in PPG. 

Oh sure,  I'm indirectly pointing to the fact that they may not come in and save the day next year.  They are not first round talents and may slip a bit past the second round.  I simply used you post to point that out.  They did have good years, but appear to be more of the normal type of recruit UND should be getting.

23 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Also to add on to my previous comments on BCHL commits, I’m interested to see what kind of role/progression  Ethan Bowen has next season with a lot of Chilliwack’s players moving on to college. 

Agreed, he seems to score at a decent rate.

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Good, we haven't had many of those at forward the last 3 years.

Agreed.  I do think guys like Mismash, Adams, Weatherby, and guch will be nice.  They’re simply underclassman. Wait until next year.  I could see a guy like Adams having big junior and senior season’s.  It’s just not clicking right now and nothing really happens in the ozone (from a forwards standpoint). There’s zero creativity which doesn’t seem like it suits Adams game.  

On 3/13/2019 at 4:55 PM, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  I do think guys like Mismash, Adams, Weatherby, and guch will be nice.  They’re simply underclassman. Wait until next year.  I could see a guy like Adams having big junior and senior season’s.  It’s just not clicking right now and nothing really happens in the ozone (from a forwards standpoint). There’s zero creativity which doesn’t seem like it suits Adams game.  

Mismash has shown flashes, Weatherby still has a chance as bigger guys can take longer to develop, and Guch has turned into what I consider to be a solid 2nd line type of scorer........but Adams has been a bust and shown nothing his two years at UND.  He's the underclassman version of Hoff or even Januitenean.  He's small, not particularly quick/fast, he's not strong, and he doesn't have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  Not a good combination.  

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Mismash has shown flashes, Weatherby still has a chance as bigger guys can take longer to develop, and Guch has turned into what I consider to be a solid 2nd line type of scorer........but Adams has been a bust and shown nothing his two years at UND.  He's the underclassman version of Hoff or even Januitenean.  He's small, not particularly quick/fast, he's not strong, and he doesn't have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  Not a good combination.  

Only time will tell. I'm just saying that if I were Bubs....I'd keep throwing him out there.  Especially on the PP. 

10 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Heard a rumor you guys might be losing a recruit to SCSU. Seemed like an odd fit to me, so I’m not sure how reliable it is. In theory, source should be very connected, so we’ll see.

Which recruit?

11 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

Heard a rumor you guys might be losing a recruit to SCSU. Seemed like an odd fit to me, so I’m not sure how reliable it is. In theory, source should be very connected, so we’ll see.

Said recruit musta wanted to win college hockey games.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits