SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Rankings are subjective. Not everyone has the same opinion. 

I focus less on other teams. More on my team’s. There’s so many factors to building a team. 

I can only comment on what I see with my own eyes, not who is ranked where on a draft ranking, or what is on their stat sheet. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I focus less on other teams. More on my team’s. There’s so many factors to building a team. 

I can only comment on what I see with my own eyes, not who is ranked where on a draft ranking, or what is on their stat sheet. 

I'd say they're certainly pretty consistent, however. At least generally.

Regardless, I think we should be very excited about the next few years of recruits.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd say they're certainly pretty consistent, however. At least generally.

Regardless, I think we should be very excited about the next few years of recruits.

Yes, generally, I personally prefer to form my own opinion rather than rely on someone else’s.  But it’s a good starting point for sure. Especially considering all the mixed reports you can hear on players. 

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Agreed so does almost everyone else on this forum.  All I was trying to get across was that our incoming class next year may not be a top 3 recruiting class in the nation next season.  May be more like a 5-7 (really depends where our higher end recruits go).  But you’re correct, they’re only subjective rankings.

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed so does almost everyone else on this forum.  All I was trying to get across was that our incoming class next year may not be a top 3 recruiting class in the nation next season.  May be more like a 5-7 (really depends where our higher end recruits go).  But you’re correct, they’re only subjective rankings.

Yeah, I took a look at the draft rankings a few days ago and could see BU and Minnesota and maybe BC top 3 since they have the most ranked players, but after that I kind of felt it depends on if you are looking at quality or quantity, immediate impact, or more long term impact. Like, UND has 7 total rated, while Michigan had just 4, but I believe 2 of them are rated in the first round area, and the other 2 are late round projections. 

Either way, we’ll know who brought in the good classes by Christmas next year. But it’s a good discussion topic for the offseason (or end of season if you’re us)

39 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah, I took a look at the draft rankings a few days ago and could see BU and Minnesota and maybe BC top 3 since they have the most ranked players, but after that I kind of felt it depends on if you are looking at quality or quantity, immediate impact, or more long term impact. Like, UND has 7 total rated, while Michigan had just 4, but I believe 2 of them are rated in the first round area, and the other 2 are late round projections. 

Either way, we’ll know who brought in the good classes by Christmas next year. But it’s a good discussion topic for the offseason (or end of season if you’re us)

Agreed, there's so many different variables when evaluating a class. One thing I really like about next years recruiting class is they mostly fall into what I really feel is the sweet spot. Those are the 2nd / 3rd / 4th rounders, who should be three year type guys. The four true freshman forwards will fall into that spot. 

35 minutes ago, tnt said:

Did anyone have Mark Senden as a player that would add more than Weatherby?  Of course that may change, but it is sometime a huge crapshoot who is going to transition well to the next level.

That is true, but seems rare that an undrafted player has the puck possession skills highly rated players ike Heatley, Toews, Schmaltz, Vanek, etc did.  That's one thing that we have sorely lacked--a player who defenses have to give space to out of respect.  Especially on the PP.  Defenses feel free to go after anybody on the team without fear of missing and getting caught out of position.  I don't know if Travis Roche was a high pick coming in, but he could do that on the blue line. 

15 hours ago, tnt said:

Did anyone have Mark Senden as a player that would add more than Weatherby?  Of course that may change, but it is sometime a huge crapshoot who is going to transition well to the next level.

100% no.  Things may change as they move forward however.  Senden played in a tougher year last year than Weatherby did.....maybe that had something to do with it.

Just glancing at the scoring leaders on the USHL website. 
The top scorers rank and where they are committed to play college:

1. Miami U
2. Harvard
3. Minnesota <--- This is where Brock Boeser finished his "senior year" in the ushl.
4. Uncommitted
5. Denver
6. Michigan State
7. Connecticut
8. Michigan
9. Uncommitted
10. Connecticut
11. Umass-Lowell
12. Western Michigan
13. Uncommitted
14.Uncommitted
15. Cornell
16. Denver
17. North Dakota
18. St. Lawrence
19. BU

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

Just glancing at the scoring leaders on the USHL website. 
The top scorers rank and where they are committed to play college:

1. Miami U - '98 - 1.30 PPG
2. Harvard - '99 - 1.30 PPG
3. Minnesota - '98 - 1.30 PPG
4. Uncommitted - '00 - 1.17 PPG
5. Denver - '98 - 1.17 PPG
6. Michigan State - '01 - 1.18 PPG
7. Connecticut - '00 - 1.19 PPG
8. Michigan - '98 - 1.17 PPG
9. Uncommitted - '98 -  0.98 PPG
10. Connecticut - '01 - 0.98 PPG
11. Umass-Lowell - '99 - 1.07 PPG
12. Western Michigan - '99 - 1.29 PPG
13. Uncommitted - '98 - 1.36 PPG
14.Uncommitted - '98 - 1.00 PPG
15. Cornell - '00 - 1.10 PPG
16. Denver - '01 - 1.57 PPG
17. North Dakota - '00 - 1.07 PPG
18. St. Lawrence - '99 - 1.30 PPG
19. BU - '01 - 1.08 PPG

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Points per Game can be cool and all but can easily be skewed by players who haven't played many games.

Like phenom, Jack Hughes,  top NHL draft prospect...2nd in PPG in the ushl. (He's going to go higher than the highest drafted UND player Ever.)

or Alex Turcotte, the highest PPG player in the USHL, a Wisconsin recruit and another future NHL stud! 

Is that why one of the highest rated UND recruits, Donovan, said "Nah. Sorry Berry. I'm going to play for Wisconsin and to go play with Alex Turcotte?"

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Points per Game can be cool and all but can easily be skewed by players who haven't played many games.

Like phenom, Jack Hughes, a Boston U recruit and top NHL draft prospect...2nd in PPG in the ushl. (He's going to go higher than the highest drafted UND player Ever!)

or Alex Turcotte, the highest PPG player in the USHL, a Wisconsin recruit and another future NHL stud! 

Is that why one of the highest rated UND recruits, Donovan, said "Nah. Sorry Berry. I'm going to play for Wisconsin and to go play with Alex Turcotte?"

Jack isn’t going to BU. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Like phenom, Jack Hughes,  top NHL draft prospect...2nd in PPG in the ushl. (He's going to go higher than the highest drafted UND player Ever.)

Among other things like education....probably.

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Among other things like education....probably.

Somewhere I saw an article in which the kid talked about his decision not to come here but go to Wisconsin, and as I recall a huge part of it was that Granato had some prior coaching involvement with him.  In a lot of ways recruiting is a people business and if a kid and a coach connect, that can sway a decision. 

18 hours ago, Cratter said:

I completely agree, which is why I added it (along with the age of the player) to your list. Couple additional variables to keep in mind while looking at your list. 

If you’re bored of discussion on how UND sucks at recruiting, here are a couple recent articles on Harrison Blaisdell.  :D

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/03/01/all-he-does-is-win-blaisdell-keeps-adding-to-impressive-trophy-case

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/02/26/prospect-profile-harrison-blaisdell/

...if not, carry on... :whistling:

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If you’re bored of discussion on how UND sucks at recruiting, here are a couple recent articles on Harrison Blaisdell.  :D

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/03/01/all-he-does-is-win-blaisdell-keeps-adding-to-impressive-trophy-case

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/02/26/prospect-profile-harrison-blaisdell/

...if not, carry on... :whistling:

I really don't think anyone is bashing the recruits coming in next year.  They are talking about one that got away (me personally, I'd much rather lose RD than not bring in Blaisdell next year). However, Blaisdell did cool off considerably towards the end of the year.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits