SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 2/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, Goon said:

Another player for the Hawks nest. He'll be 21 next season. 

Here's his elite prospects page. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/335673/carson-albrecht/embed-stats

Ok...now I REALLY want to know the story on Ryder. 

If he just decided he doesn't want to leave home(which I've heard), and ends up at UMD, then fine.

If it was because there was no room for him or UND wanted him to go to Jrs...then this guy comes in. Hmmm

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/show/995824

Don’t think it’s strange at all.  With all the young guys coming in next year, they want another older player with compete in case the younger guys take a while to play both ways, like with Adams.  I like that he is a Captain, skates well, and competes hard.  Sounds like a model citizen as well, so should be coachable.  Obviously nobody knows how he will turn out, but Senden and Keane are playing better than some of the guys who were supposed to be scorers.  I think St. Cloud finds under the radar guys like Blake Lizotte that turn out to be gems.  There are guys from the other leagues that just need a chance to shine. Don’t know if we win the NCAA Championship in 2016 without a guy from the same league in Coltyn Sanderson.

We’ll see.  Also, senden would have shredded the SJ and Blake Lizotte was the furthest thing from an under the radar player. :)

4 minutes ago, franchise said:

Ok...now I REALLY want to know the story on Ryder. 

If he just decided he doesn't want to leave home(which I've heard), and ends up at UMD, then fine.

If it was because there was no room for him or UND wanted him to go to Jrs...then this guy comes in. Hmmm

This guy isn’t getting the scholarship money Donovan would have gotten though. 

And technically do we even know what the plans for Ryder next year were? I guess I just thought it was speculation on this board. 

And considering the high amount of injuries the last few years, we should bring in extra players. 

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We’ll see.  Also, senden would have shredded the SJ and Blake Lizotte was the furthest thing from an under the radar player. :)

When he committed he was.  He was playing for Minot Junior team with Jon Lizotte. So with your philosophy, no Connor Gaarder, no Stephane Pattyn, etc. 

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

This guy isn’t getting the scholarship money Donovan would have gotten though. 

And technically do we even know what the plans for Ryder next year were? I guess I just thought it was speculation on this board. 

And considering the high amount of injuries the last few years, we should bring in extra players. 

Never heard anything official, but the story I got was UND preferred he go to the USHL this year (which appeared to be the plan), then he reversed course and decided to stay for his senior year. Apparently he prefers the comfort zone of staying close to home, which is why it would make sense if he backed out for UMD. 

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

When he committed he was.  He was playing for Minot Junior team with Jon Lizotte. So with your philosophy, no Connor Gaarder, no Stephane Pattyn, etc. 

I would’ve rather had miller for a year. Especially with that team.

Thinking about it a bit more, this move isn’t typcial. Something is going on with current roster or incoming commit. They grabbed an kid that’s shredding a bad league as a flier.  We’ll see what happens.  I’ve never even seen the kid play but the SJ is hot garbage. I mean, look at his roster what’s with the guy with 91?

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

It maybe just insurance, or maybe it’s the writing on the wall for yon or Johnson 

Or maybe Nashville wants to monitor Mismash’s injury rehabilitation in another place in Major Junior.  We can all just speculate, but to me it doesn’t hurt having more people on the roster since there have been plenty of times we’ve had to shift defensemen to forward.  I know they have a certain number of players for the ideal roster, but if it puts you short handed, it isn’t ideal.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Or maybe Nashville wants to monitor Mismash’s injury rehabilitation in another place in Major Junior.  We can all just speculate, but to me it doesn’t hurt having more people on the roster since there have been plenty of times we’ve had to shift defensemen to forward.  I know they have a certain number of players for the ideal roster, but if it puts you short handed, it isn’t ideal.

This. I'm hoping it's so we don't have to go through another Casey Johnson. Kid plays hard but has no business being a forward.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Outside of Cole Smith, show me a junior forward performing to expectations. 

I guess I'd like to hear your expectations for all those players.

I'd say a lot of them are performing to the expectations I thought they'd reach. None of these forwards were slotted as huge scorers, coming in. Hoff has under-performed, IMO. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I'd like to hear your expectations for all those players.

Hoff should be top six and you can't get him out of the line-up (especially with JJ out). 
Bowen should be the #3 centerman and serviceable as a top two center if 22 or 8 is out. 
Yon should not be "GQ" behind Keane (when you look at Keane's last three seasons). 
Those three are juniors. Frankly, they are lucky to be juniors. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hoff should be top six and you can't get him out of the line-up (especially with JJ out). 
Bowen should be the #3 centerman and serviceable as a top two center if 22 or 8 is out. 
Yon should not be "GQ" behind Keane (when you look at Keane's last three seasons). 

I agree with you about Hoff. Senden has earned his time as a No. 3 center over Bowen, so that is what it is. Keane took Yonner's spot, too, IMO.

I'm sure I'm not going to be Captain Popular with this, but if it were mine, I could honestly see doing a big sweep at the end of this season. 

Seniors? Obviously gone. 

Juniors? Only Poolman and Smith have earned senior seasons. Ma-a-a-aybe Peski. Harsh? Yup. But I really think a couple of the juniors should be grateful to have seen a junior season (as I believe they wouldn't have seen a junior year under Blais or Hak). 

At this point it's hard to rate the sophomores and see if any should come under the Blais/Hakstol precedent of "gone after sophomore year" because the upper classes are so weak it's hard to see a discernible difference. The only guy I'd even question is Rieger and I'm not sure I should because he played a ton as a freshman but is now caught in the numbers (specifically behind 17 and 24). 

OK. I'm ready. Rip me to shreds. 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm sure I'm not going to be Captain Popular with this, but if it were mine, I could honestly see doing a big sweep at the end of this season. 

Seniors? Obviously gone. 

Juniors? Only Poolman and Smith have earned senior seasons. Ma-a-a-aybe Peski. Harsh? Yup. But I really think a couple of the juniors should be grateful to have seen a junior season (as I believe they wouldn't have seen a junior year under Blais or Hak). 

At this point it's hard to rate the sophomores and see if any should come under the Blais/Hakstol precedent of "gone after sophomore year" because the upper classes are so weak it's hard to see a discernible difference. The only guy I'd even question is Rieger and I'm not sure I should because he played a ton as a freshman but is now caught in the numbers (specifically behind 17 and 24). 

I don't think anything you said is hugely rippable. I'm fine with Bowen's role. Yon and Johnson shouldn't feel secure. Rieger's road isn't going to get any easier, either. 

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Agreed

Disagree

Toss Up

Agreed

This isn't a hindsight is 20/20 thing either, I don't know what this Junior class showed prior to UND that would have led anyone to believe they would be performing better than they are. You had a Blue Chip (Jost) Highly regarded (Hoff) >>>>> Depth (Bowen, Yon, Smith). It's crazy to have 3 out of 5 guys in one class that either couldn't score (Bowen / Yon) or played in the MJHL (Smith). I agree, Smith has been better than I would have expected, Hoff worse, Bowen / Yon exactly how you would have expected. This was a bad class on paper and it's proven out to be that overall, during their time here. I know Johnson is playing out of position, but add him to the mix and this forward Junior class (5 forward spots) is a dumpster fire.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seniors? Obviously gone. 

Well you listed the 3 juniors I wouldn’t cut if I were the coach. 

The sophomore class is fine. They could use some help. 

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seniors? Obviously gone. 

I don't think you'll find too many people disagreeing with you. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anyway he does anything with them now. He had his chance last year. Normally, I would say there's no chance he does anything (although there's two that are no-brainers), but he's going to start feeling some heat.

This team needs talent, we know they have 4 coming next year, but if there's not a quality player you already have or can get, then I wouldn't be for it. No offense to the new MJHL recruit, but might as well just keep Yon. Save that roster spot for '20.

In my opinion, the total lack of information coming from the program and lack of questioning by the press contributes a lot to the frustration on this board (and I'm not saying that we need to be privy to sensitive info about JJ - just commenting on the total lack of explanation about anything) - We are watching a dumpster fire in the program that won #8 just 3 short years ago with as talented a team as I have seen.  I am totally baffled by our sudden fall.  Our power play is an embarrassment yet no questions or explanations as to what is going on - why can't we even get it in zone?  We are world beaters one night and can't hit the ocean the next.  We give up leads like no Sioux team I have ever seen.  We don't have any scorers on our team.  We seem to lack any grit.  I don't think coaches are going to admit any mistakes, but it would sure be nice to hear some honesty about our program.  All we hear from the media is hot goalie, puck luck, and bad bounces.  All we hear from staff is culture and process.  Things need to change or we are in big trouble.  And I don't think our talent coming in next year will save us.  None of the guys brought in to score so far have done squat.  Not sure if it is misjudging talent, schemes or what.  For once I would like someone to admit there is something amiss and that we have a plan to deal with it.  Pie in the sky wish, I'm sure.  Looking at you, Schlossman and Hennesy.  Ask a tough question for once.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1