SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

36 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

The only thing I would say about the program that I would like the staff to look at is this.  Since the early 1980's until Eades left a few years ago, we always had a Minnesota high school hockey connection on the coaching staff.  Blais, Eades, Frank Serratore, Jim Scanlan, Sandelin, Osiecki.  We always had someone who was from Minnesota or who played high school hockey in Minnesota or coached high school hockey in Minnesota or something.

Recruiting is very relationship driven and I've always thought that a lot of Dean Blais' success was due to the relationships he had with other Minnesota high school coaches, either through his days at the U or through his high school coaching days.  Eades and Sandelin also had a lot of that.

I don't think we have the connections with the state hockey programs the way we used to, and that perhaps makes recruiting in the state more difficult.  It's harder to find those hidden diamonds without some inside information.

Should Shaw leave, Matt Smaby maybe?  Played for Shattuck, but from Minneapolis. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

Smaby seems like a great change, my only concern is another defenseman at the helm.  Our issues are at forward, can Parise coach?

It's kind of funny, under Hakstol they struggled moving defensemen on to the NHL, but had many forwards move on. Of course a lot of those were high end guys, but nonetheless, they did develop them well.   Under Berry, it seems like we struggle with the forwards, but have a nice contingent of defensemen that look like they can move on.  

5 hours ago, SJHovey said:

...We have facilities and tradition and a quality staff (although on this board we seem to spend a lot of time trying to dispel that advantage).  But there are a lot of schools located in geographically more pleasing areas, in larger metropolitan areas, in locations with more media exposure, with quality coaching and training staffs, etc...

I was at the Denver game Saturday. My first time on DU's campus and in Magness Arena. Denver's campus is beautiful, in a beautiful section of a beautiful city. And a view of the Rockies. That's got to help recruiting a bunch.

Magness, on the other hand, is a dump.

14 minutes ago, mikejm said:

I was at the Denver game Saturday. My first time on DU's campus and in Magness Arena. Denver's campus is beautiful, in a beautiful section of a beautiful city. And a view of the Rockies. That's got to help recruiting a bunch.

Magness, on the other hand, is a dump.

Given the rich tradition of the program and Murray Armstrong’s legacy, it’s a shame they didn’t name the arena after him, or at the very least, the rink. Also, DU should have a concourse littered with tributes to past teams/players, similar to the Ralph, Agginas, and Mariucci. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I accept your analysis. But now I beg a question based on the above part of your statement:

If college hockey is a different game than 15 or 30 years ago, is UND adapting to the change? 

On defense, I'd say yes. The corps has gotten faster (and smaller) and is much more skilled with the puck than even 5 years ago. 

But at forward we seem to think we need a true fourth line grind line, and a third line "match" line*. Is that even relevant in today's game? And a grind line is not the same as 2016's Heavy line. They could still score and generate offense. Closest to that I've seen since is Hain-Smith-Senden. And a match line is not generating offense much less scoring opportunity. 

Has our offensive play and group of forwards kept up with the times? 

I see some are claiming next years group will. Tick. Tock. 

*A match line is a line that can go "+/- zero" against the other team's top line. They don't let their top guys score, but can't generate any offense. 

This is my question as well. My thought has always been that just because a forward is talented offensively, doesn't mean they can't be solid and responsible defensively as well. I do think this coaching staff has fallen in love too much true role players. How do you win games? By having each line be better than the opposing line. I get that seems obvious, but does that mean your fourth line is just an energy / grind type line? Not every player is going to match their expectation, so load up on guys who you consider to be high impact guys. Not all will succeed and they'll turn into your four year guys (see Hoff), you'll also have the Poganski and Gardners who are solid and stick it out for four years. Senden will work out, but I look at guys like Hain who will be the perfect four year guy who does have offensive ability. They are on the right track with next years class. Four high end caliber guys,  you recruit early enough these days that you have a pretty good idea who has a chance to make an impact when they get here (see next years recruiting class).

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sioux1988 said:

Where do our recruits fit in the lineup next year? I know it's WAY TOO soon but would Pinto or Blaisdell center the first or second line. That's presuming Weatherby is first line, because I can't imagine Dixon Bowen being our 1. Senden 1st line? We're going to have to have some production from these kids if we don't want to see this season repeat itself.

Rizzo / Pinto are your #1/#2 centers, Blaisdell will be a Top 6 winger. Caulfield would be an ideal 3rd line winger.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Had the same thoughts only wasn’t sure which of Pinto or Blaisdell would be the center. 

Good question, now I'm second guessing myself. Trying to remember line charts I've seen this year. I know Rizzo plays center for sure, do all three? Regardless, I expect to see two freshman as the #1 / #2 centers next year to fill in for Gardner / Jones, with the other playing in a Top 6 role.

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good question, now I'm second guessing myself. Trying to remember line charts I've seen this year. I know Rizzo plays center for sure, do all three? Regardless, I expect to see two freshman as the #1 / #2 centers next year to fill in for Gardner / Jones, with the other playing in a Top 6 role.

Not sure what Pinto has played as this year, but I’ve seen him listed as a Center on the draft rankings. I know Blaisdell has played both this season. 

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

Another player for the Hawks nest. He'll be 21 next season. 

Here's his elite prospects page. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/335673/carson-albrecht/embed-stats

Next season? Anyone have some tea leaves to read on what that means for the current roster/commits?

Also, welcome Carson!

#3 in SJHL scoring with 74 points in 48 games.

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Very interesting.  Hard to believe that there's no room for a 2nd round talent like Donovan but there is room for an overager.  Wonder if one of the highly heralded forwards isn't coming in next season?

Guessing he is more of a walk on like Huber would have been.  Like a Coltyn Sanderson, Josh Rieger or Brent Davidson.

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, UNDBIZ said:

How long Brad have that article ready to go before all those team were below the "playoff cutoff line"? 4 short days after writing the article, this line is no longer true:

There are eight teams in college hockey this season with eight-plus NHL Draft picks on their roster: Minnesota, Boston University, Boston College, Providence, Michigan, Wisconsin, UND and Notre Dame.

If the season ended today, not a single one would be in the NCAA tournament.

Key to success for UND this season would have been to have 7 drafted players on the roster, like the #3 team in the country, UMD, instead of the 8 that UND currently has.

• Downvote 1

On 2/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, Goon said:

Another player for the Hawks nest. He'll be 21 next season. 

Here's his elite prospects page. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/335673/carson-albrecht/embed-stats

???  This one is about the strangest commit in awhile.  Someone unexpected is either leaving or not coming in.  Small overager who’s never produced until their 20 old year...in a poor junior A league.  Times are changing I guess.  Obviously still my squad but not sure where things are going with this program.  

Curious why Bubs isn’t hammering the USHL?  As far as point producers go.  Pinto...sure that’s awesome.  But I look up and down the top 20 and they seem to be going to all our competitors.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

???  This one is about the strangest commit in awhile.  Someone unexpected is either leaving or not coming in.  Small overager who’s never produced until their 20 old year...in a poor junior A league.  Times are changing I guess.  Obviously still my squad but not sure where things are going with this program.  

Curious why Bubs isn’t hammering the USHL?  As far as point producers go.  Pinto...sure that’s awesome.  But I look up and down the top 20 and they seem to be going to all our competitors.

https://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/show/995824

Don’t think it’s strange at all.  With all the young guys coming in next year, they want another older player with compete in case the younger guys take a while to play both ways, like with Adams.  I like that he is a Captain, skates well, and competes hard.  Sounds like a model citizen as well, so should be coachable.  Obviously nobody knows how he will turn out, but Senden and Keane are playing better than some of the guys who were supposed to be scorers.  I think St. Cloud finds under the radar guys like Blake Lizotte that turn out to be gems.  There are guys from the other leagues that just need a chance to shine. Don’t know if we win the NCAA Championship in 2016 without a guy from the same league in Coltyn Sanderson.

• Upvote 1