Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
AZSIOUX

COMMITTED Sioux Recruits

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Riese Gaber flips to UND. Overager putting up decent numbers for Dubuque 

Is that a big get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goon said:

Is that a big get?

No idea really, I have never heard of him.  Numbers look decent though. Plays in a tough league obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 9:14 PM, scpa0305 said:

Pots was never staying home.

Everything I've ever heard was that Ryan would have stayed home if UND had taken Grant, and UND would have had a high chance at Irmen if the Potulny's had come here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Everything I've ever heard was that Ryan would have stayed home if UND had taken Grant, and UND would have had a high chance at Irmen if the Potulny's had come here.

Well that’s probably true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Goon said:

According to this he was a Western Michigan recruit. Unless I have the wrong guy?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/283845/riese-gaber

3.75 rating on NZ.  I’m curious was this add represents?  He’s a late ‘99 and he’s obviously not coming in next year I believe.  Definitely not a huge get but again, he seems to be productive in the ushl.  Small kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

3.75 rating on NZ.  I’m curious was this add represents?  He’s a late ‘99 and he’s obviously not coming in next year I believe.  Definitely not a huge get but again, he seems to be productive in the ushl.  Small kid.

He will be eligible for junior next year too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

3.75 rating on NZ.  I’m curious was this add represents?  He’s a late ‘99 and he’s obviously not coming in next year I believe.  Definitely not a huge get but again, he seems to be productive in the ushl.  Small kid.

I think it is smart to start bringing in a guy or two every year that has a lot of junior experience to supplement the young 18 or 19 year old kids we have coming in.  Some of them are bound to have a learning curve like we have seen from quite a few guys.  You look at this guys numbers without many power play points, and he has put up nice numbers at even strength.  Of course, we certainly could use a few guys that can help us with our power play as well, but I'm guessing if Schmaltz, Boeser, Caggiula, Stetcher and/or Poolman and LaDue can't rip it up on the power play, there may be a little more to it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

3.75 rating on NZ.  I’m curious was this add represents?  He’s a late ‘99 and he’s obviously not coming in next year I believe.  Definitely not a huge get but again, he seems to be productive in the ushl.  Small kid.

The few recruiting sites have him coming in next year.  Maybe they don't mind having a few extra guys around after the injury bug has had us with two defensive transplants at forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tnt said:

The few recruiting sites have him coming in next year.  Maybe they don't mind having a few extra guys around after the injury bug has had us with two defensive transplants at forward.

Perhaps a couple juniors will be moving on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First half stats:

USHL

Pinto - '00 (F): 14-11-25 (22GP) 

Gaber - '99 (F): 10-13-23 (29GP)

Halliday - '02 (F): 6-12-17 (22GP)

Mancinelli - '01 (F): 5-6-11 (27GP)

Randklev - '99 (F): 3-8-11 (21GP)

Frisch - '00 (D): 2-7-9 (23GP)

Miller - 01' (D): 2-5-7 (23GP)

Schmaltz - 01' (F): 2-4-6 (24GP)

Reid - 01' (D): 0-5-5 (26GP)

Costello - 00' (F): 1-3-4 (24GP)

NTDP U18

Caulfield - 01' (F): 6-16-22 (30GP)

Rowe - 01' (G): 3.59 GAA / .879 SV%

NTDP U17

Sanderson -02' (D): 1-13-14 (27GP)

Kleven -02' (D): 2-5-7 (24GP)

AJHL

Bast - 00' (D): 5-15-20 (23GP)

BCHL

Blaisdell - 01' (F): 23-18-41 (32GP)

Stratton - 99' (F): 6-26-32 (37GP)

Bowen -02' (F) 16-10-26 (37GP)

Rizzo - 01' (F): 4-14-18 (17GP)

Other

Kunz -02' (F): 5-3-8 (7GP) -- SSM Prep

Montgomery - 02' (F): 4-7-11 (9GP) -- Sioux Falls U16 / 1-1-2 (5GP) Waterloo (USHL)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AJS said:

First half stats:

USHL

Pinto - '00 (F): 14-11-25 (22GP) 

Gaber - '99 (F): 10-13-23 (29GP)

Halliday - '02 (F): 6-12-17 (22GP)

Mancinelli - '01 (F): 5-6-11 (27GP)

Randklev - '99 (F): 3-8-11 (21GP)

Frisch - '00 (D): 2-7-9 (23GP)

Miller - 01' (D): 2-5-7 (23GP)

Schmaltz - 01' (F): 2-4-6 (24GP)

Reid - 01' (D): 0-5-5 (26GP)

Costello - 00' (F): 1-3-4 (24GP)

NTDP U18

Caulfield - 01' (F): 6-16-22 (30GP)

Rowe - 01' (G): 3.59 GAA / .879 SV%

NTDP U17

Sanderson -02' (D): 1-13-14 (27GP)

Kleven -02' (D): 2-5-7 (24GP)

AJHL

Bast - 00' (D): 5-15-20 (23GP)

BCHL

Blaisdell - 01' (F): 23-18-41 (32GP)

Stratton - 99' (F): 6-26-32 (37GP)

Bowen -02' (F) 16-10-26 (37GP)

Rizzo - 01' (F): 4-14-18 (17GP)

Other

Kunz -02' (F): 5-3-8 (7GP) -- SSM Prep

Montgomery - 02' (F): 4-7-11 (9GP) -- Sioux Falls U16 / 1-1-2 (5GP) Waterloo (USHL)

I think I saw Montgomery with more current stats....he had good numbers.  Kids like Costello and Mancinelli have really taken a step back.  Stratton was another kid who was supposed to tear up of the BC this year.  6 goals in 37 games, not great.  I believe I remember his coach stating he expected him to be in the mid 80s this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I think I saw Montgomery with more current stats....he had good numbers.  Kids like Costello and Mancinelli have really taken a step back.  Stratton was another kid who was supposed to tear up of the BC this year.  6 goals in 37 games, not great.  I believe I remember his coach stating he expected him to be in the mid 80s this year.

With Costello there was really no step back he could have made, he only had 12 points total last year (56 games). It's true he is slightly behind that "pace", but he just hasn't been able to produce at the USHL level.

Mancinelli on the other hand had what I would have considered the best '01 year out of all the recruits (Blaisdell, Caulfield, Rizzo) that played juniors at 16. Not surprisingly, he started slow last year, but was almost a PPG player the second half of the season.  He parlayed that into a strong US Development camp and made the Ivan Hlinka team this year. I'm definitely surprised by his production so far, but he's also just a Senior (maybe Junior?) in HS, so we'll see how he develops over the second half / next year. 

Stratton also surprised that he's slightly off his mark for last year, would have thought he'd tear up the BCHL this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJS said:

With Costello there was really no step back he could have made, he only had 12 points total last year (56 games). It's true he is slightly behind that "pace", but he just hasn't been able to produce at the USHL level.

Mancinelli on the other hand had what I would have considered the best '01 year out of all the recruits (Blaisdell, Caulfield, Rizzo) that played juniors at 16. Not surprisingly, he started slow last year, but was almost a PPG player the second half of the season.  He parlayed that into a strong US Development camp and made the Ivan Hlinka team this year. I'm definitely surprised by his production so far, but he's also just a Senior (maybe Junior?) in HS, so we'll see how he develops over the second half / next year. 

Stratton also surprised that he's slightly off his mark for last year, would have thought he'd tear up the BCHL this year. 

BC - Ya, I was trying to kind of be nice.  He definitely was one who should have went to the NA prior to going to the USHL.  The jump from ND HS hockey to the USHL is light years.

Manc. - True but he didn't receive a ton of playing time at the IH and he has fallen off almost all scout rankings. 

Stratton - Agreed.  He was kind of talked about as being that diamond in the rough kind of guy.  Late bloomer.  Still obviously has tons of time and his numbers aren't garbage.  But I thought he would be doing more of what Weatherby was doing last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do love following recruiting, by far from an expert, so the following list is just a way to pass some time. I thought I'd put together a ranking of how I see UND's Top 12 recruits. These are guys that will be here in the next couple years (excluded anyone who hasn't played Juniors). For the most part, this will be guys who will be in either the 2019 or 2020 freshman classes.

1. Halliday (F) (02') (2020) - Former #1 USHL pick, stepped in right away and has produced as a 16 year old. Averaging .82 PPG in his first half of Junior hockey. Has the potential to dominate in his draft year, potential 1st / 2nd round pick. Will come in as a True Freshman.

2. Kleven (D) (02') (2020) - From all accounts, the best US Dman prospect from his age. Potential 1st rounder. Will come in as a True Freshman.

3. Bowen (F) (02') (2020) - Would have been a Top 5 WHL pick if it wasn't for his NCAA commitment. Already has 16 goals, .70 PPG in his first true half of Junior hockey. Would expect him to be a Top 5 guy in the BCHL next year in his draft year, high round draft pick. Will come in as a True Freshman.

4. Blaisdell (F) (01') (2019) - He's my #1 recruit for UND next year, having a great year in his second true year of Juniors. Tied 3rd in BCHL in goals. Phenomenal World Junior A tournament this past month. Projected 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

5. Miller (D) (01') (2020) - Checks every box when it comes to Select teams, has made ever US Development team (Playing Top D-Pair), was just on World Junior A roster. I think he's going to be an outstanding college hockey player.

6. Sanderson (D) ('02') (2021) - One of the best '02 defenseman in the country, leading the U17's in scoring from the backend. Potential 1st round pick. Late Bday, so he wouldn't be eligible until 2021.

7. Pinto (F) (00') (2019) - Was a recruit nobody knew anything about when he committed. Having a great 1st year in the USHL, World Junior A participant. Currently projected as a 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft. Has good size, great scoring ability. Carrying his USHL team in scoring.

8. Rizzo (F) (01') (2019) - Has had injury problems that last couple years, including missing about half of the start this year. Incredibly talented, holding his own at just over a PPG, but isn't producing as much as most would have thought. Still, can easy turn that around in the second half. Potential 3rd / 4th round pick currently. 

9. Rowe (G) (01') ('19 or '20) - Playing for USNTDP, ok numbers (which is normal for that team playing the schedule they do). Potential 2nd/3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

10. Caulfield (F) (01') ('19) - Power forward playing with the USNTDP, putting up solid numbers. Would be a great 3rd line type guy in college (kind of 3rd line UND needs). Potential 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

11. Frisch (D) ('00) ('19) - From all accounts having a great first year in the USHL, member of the World Junior A roster. Should be drafted.

12. Bast (D) ('00) ('19) - Highly skilled offensive D-man, puts up good numbers in the AJHL, member of the World Junior A roster. Should be drafted.

Overall, this is an incredibly talented pool of recruits UND has lined up. 

2019 - Sure fire Top 5 class in the NCAA. Rizzo was the potential cornerstone guy heading into this year, but that's kind of wait and see. They lack the true "big name", but that being said, the depth of talent is absolutely incredible. The 6 guys I have slotted coming in will all be true freshman, all potential to be drafted (at least 3 going in the 2nd / 3rd rounds). Instant shot of talent to the roster.

2020 - Sure fire Top 3 class in the NCAA. What the 2019 lacks in the cornerstone guy (which is rare), this class currently has the potential for 3. They'll have two at the forward spot and possible the best D-man class in the country (Kleven, Miller, Reid). Also, guys like Mancinelli, Randklev and Gaber will be fun to track at forward. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I do love following recruiting, by far from an expert, so the following list is just a way to pass some time. I thought I'd put together a ranking of how I see UND's Top 12 recruits. These are guys that will be here in the next couple years (excluded anyone who hasn't played Juniors). For the most part, this will be guys who will be in either the 2019 or 2020 freshman classes.

1. Halliday (F) (02') (2020) - Former #1 USHL pick, stepped in right away and has produced as a 16 year old. Averaging .82 PPG in his first half of Junior hockey. Has the potential to dominate in his draft year, potential 1st / 2nd round pick. Will come in as a True Freshman.

2. Kleven (D) (02') (2020) - From all accounts, the best US Dman prospect from his age. Potential 1st rounder. Will come in as a True Freshman.

3. Bowen (F) (02') (2020) - Would have been a Top 5 WHL pick if it wasn't for his NCAA commitment. Already has 16 goals, .70 PPG in his first true half of Junior hockey. Would expect him to be a Top 5 guy in the BCHL next year in his draft year, high round draft pick. Will come in as a True Freshman.

4. Blaisdell (F) (01') (2019) - He's my #1 recruit for UND next year, having a great year in his second true year of Juniors. Tied 3rd in BCHL in goals. Phenomenal World Junior A tournament this past month. Projected 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

5. Miller (D) (01') (2020) - Checks every box when it comes to Select teams, has made ever US Development team (Playing Top D-Pair), was just on World Junior A roster. I think he's going to be an outstanding college hockey player.

6. Sanderson (D) ('02') (2021) - One of the best '02 defenseman in the country, leading the U17's in scoring from the backend. Potential 1st round pick. Late Bday, so he wouldn't be eligible until 2021.

7. Pinto (F) (00') (2019) - Was a recruit nobody knew anything about when he committed. Having a great 1st year in the USHL, World Junior A participant. Currently projected as a 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft. Has good size, great scoring ability. Carrying his USHL team in scoring.

8. Rizzo (F) (01') (2019) - Has had injury problems that last couple years, including missing about half of the start this year. Incredibly talented, holding his own at just over a PPG, but isn't producing as much as most would have thought. Still, can easy turn that around in the second half. Potential 3rd / 4th round pick currently. 

9. Rowe (G) (01') ('19 or '20) - Playing for USNTDP, ok numbers (which is normal for that team playing the schedule they do). Potential 2nd/3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

10. Caulfield (F) (01') ('19) - Power forward playing with the USNTDP, putting up solid numbers. Would be a great 3rd line type guy in college (kind of 3rd line UND needs). Potential 2nd / 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft.

11. Frisch (D) ('00) ('19) - From all accounts having a great first year in the USHL, member of the World Junior A roster. Should be drafted.

12. Bast (D) ('00) ('19) - Highly skilled offensive D-man, puts up good numbers in the AJHL, member of the World Junior A roster. Should be drafted.

Overall, this is an incredibly talented pool of recruits UND has lined up. 

2019 - Sure fire Top 5 class in the NCAA. Rizzo was the potential cornerstone guy heading into this year, but that's kind of wait and see. They lack the true "big name", but that being said, the depth of talent is absolutely incredible. The 6 guys I have slotted coming in will all be true freshman, all potential to be drafted (at least 3 going in the 2nd / 3rd rounds). Instant shot of talent to the roster.

2020 - Sure fire Top 3 class in the NCAA. What the 2019 lacks in the cornerstone guy (which is rare), this class currently has the potential for 3. They'll have two at the forward spot and possible the best D-man class in the country (Kleven, Miller, Reid). Also, guys like Mancinelli, Randklev and Gaber will be fun to track at forward. 

Still think Kunz will be decent.  I watched him in the Elite league and he was solid. He's a big kid that still needs to catch up speed-wise but he is very talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen Mancinelli play a handful of games this year for the Fargo Force, early in the year he started on the 3rd line, now he got bumped up to the 2nd line and plays every situation (powerplay and penalty kill), maybe due to injuries, but getting good ice time.  I do believe he'll be a good college player, he's young and fairly small, but not afraid to put his nose in and battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaisdell with another hat trick tonight, second in a row (6 goals and an assist in his last two games). Pinto and Halliday with two points each as well tonight. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, AJS said:

Blaisdell with another hat trick tonight, second in a row (6 goals and an assist in his last two games). Pinto and Halliday with two points each as well tonight. 

Those three are playing great hockey....really helping their prospect stock.  Hopefully both Pinto and Blaisdell stay in the second round range.  Halliday looks to be special....hopefully we hang on to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, JaDubbs said:

I have seen Mancinelli play a handful of games this year for the Fargo Force, early in the year he started on the 3rd line, now he got bumped up to the 2nd line and plays every situation (powerplay and penalty kill), maybe due to injuries, but getting good ice time.  I do believe he'll be a good college player, he's young and fairly small, but not afraid to put his nose in and battle.

... And he's been traded.  Mancinelli was traded today from the Force to Des Moines for 2 players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see Rizzo starting to heat up 7 points in 4 games since the new year. He had huge expectations going into the year, but was sidelined with an injury for the first month. Currently sitting with 25 points (8G 17A) in 21 games, which for a 17 year old is a very solid stat line, but wouldn't be surprised if he blows up in the second half. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×