SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

With SCSU, MN, UMD, and even Mankato having solid teams the competition can be stiff.  Plus, there are tons of good kids in Canada and other parts of the US.  It's just a slight dry spell, I wouldn't look too far into it.  The reason Bubs likes recruiting junior leagues is because those leagues have far greater competition (obviously).  The kids aren't all putting up video game numbers and the one's that do are the one's to look at :)

I think there’s also a perception we may have missed on Minnesota kids (and maybe we have) because a lot of us who post in here are familiar with these players and seen them play and have an opinion on them, whereas recruits coming from Canada and other places there’s less of a familiarity. 

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I noticed that too.  Stats at higher competition were underwhelming.  However, TBH a lot of Worth's goals were because of him.  It just shows the difference between HS hockey and juniors.  Whole different animal.  Every kid is good and dominated wherever they came from.

Very much agree.  Worth seemed like a kid who camped in the right spot and waited, more than being an elite goal scorer.

24 minutes ago, franchise said:

Very much agree.  Worth seemed like a kid who camped in the right spot and waited, more than being an elite goal scorer.

Worth’s issue is that he doesn’t play any D and he can’t skate.  It will most likely hamper him in juniors and college.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

My question is....did UND ever recruit or look at Lizotte? 

45 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

My question is....did UND ever recruit or look at Lizotte? 

Don't think a lot of people thought he was a good enough skater to be an effective college player. Most thought he would play football in college, but the coaches were told he was interested in hockey.  Maybe they thought his skating would hold him back as well, but I think they could have got him on campus without huge scholarship dollars.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I noticed that too.  Stats at higher competition were underwhelming.  However, TBH a lot of Worth's goals were because of him.  It just shows the difference between HS hockey and juniors.  Whole different animal.  Every kid is good and dominated wherever they came from.

Shows more of a difference between playing healthy and battling through injury. Donovan was not healthy in his USHL stint and tried to play through injuries but wasn't real effective in doing so.

4 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think there’s also a perception we may have missed on Minnesota kids (and maybe we have) because a lot of us who post in here are familiar with these players and seen them play and have an opinion on them, whereas recruits coming from Canada and other places there’s less of a familiarity. 

bingo.

It is why Gopher fans struggle when they lose because they have watched those kids dominate at the bantam and high school level for so long.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Don't think a lot of people thought he was a good enough skater to be an effective college player. Most thought he would play football in college, but the coaches were told he was interested in hockey.  Maybe they thought his skating would hold him back as well, but I think they could have got him on campus without huge scholarship dollars.

If I remember right, he skating was horrendous in high school. He was rumored to play football. My question is, who you'd replace on the current roster with him. I like all of the d-men on UND's roster better. The two freshmen are obvious. Kiersted has come a really long way and has more upside (he's one of my most improved players). Poolman is way better. Bast has incredible upside. I think Shaw has come a long way this season, too. 

9 hours ago, Goon said:

I would argue not getting Jacob Benson was a miss. 

Which may be why they got a verbal from Dane Montgomery so early.  Unless there isn't a whole lot of scholarship money offered up front, those things can go both ways.  Remember he committed to St. Cloud his Junior year in high school which is pretty early when there are plenty of questions yet to be answered.  You look at all the people complaining about the locals that haven't worked out that well, and it certainly is a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation.   

10 hours ago, Goon said:

If I remember right, he skating was horrendous in high school. He was rumored to play football. My question is, who you'd replace on the current roster with him. I like all of the d-men on UND's roster better. The two freshmen are obvious. Kiersted has come a really long way and has more upside (he's one of my most improved players). Poolman is way better. Bast has incredible upside. I think Shaw has come a long way this season, too. 

Kiersted was a much higher prospect than Lizotte at the same age.

10 hours ago, Goon said:

I would argue not getting Jacob Benson was a miss. 

I think you really have to compare against the kids that committed that same year.  Sure Benson was a good HS player but that was in ND.  He was also undrafted and from what I can remember player 3 years of juniors  Again, no knock on Benson but I would bet that the kids UND committed during the same time frame were better recruits at the time.

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I think you really have to compare against the kids that committed that same year.  Sure Benson was a good HS player but that was in ND.  He was also undrafted and from what I can remember player 3 years of juniors  Again, no knock on Benson but I would bet that the kids UND committed during the same time frame were better recruits at the time.

Point taken. 

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Rauhauser would be in the same category. Would be nice kid to have being from Bismarck but wonder what his development would have been here his first two years as his ice time would have likely been limited?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Rauhauser would be in the same category. Would be nice kid to have being from Bismarck but wonder what his development would have been here his first two years as his ice time would have likely been limited?

Hockey is the ultimate late bloomer sport. But when Rauhauser commited to BG we had better commits coming here.  He just continued to develop better

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Hockey is the ultimate late bloomer sport. But when Rauhauser commited to BG we had better commits coming here.  He just continued to develop better

When are our scorers going to bloom - 3 years is a long time to blame on one class.

1 hour ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Why is he a miss? He's -12 for his career while averaging a little less than half a point per game. With the exception of his sophomore year SCSU's W/L record since he's been there has been good. 

He had 17 points last year and 21 the year before, which is still more productive than a lot of our upperclassmen forwards. Gardner’s career high for points in a season is 21 points for some perspective. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He had 17 points last year and 21 the year before, which is still more productive than a lot of our upperclassmen forwards. Gardner’s career high for points in a season is 21 points for some perspective. 

Have to factor in the competition played also. NCHC and our non conference is much harder. 

13 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I was thinking more along the line of someone like Ryan Potulny, but that was a different situation.