SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, jk said:

Mountains of detailed speculation, based on nothing.  Shoulda done this or that, because of some imagined fact-set.  

Certainties decided and judgement cast as well. The assumption that donovan isn't coming bc Berry didn't make room and tried to push him a year is quite a jump that no one on here has any factual context to fall back on.

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Certainties decided and judgement cast as well. The assumption that donovan isn't coming bc Berry didn't make room and tried to push him a year is quite a jump that no one on here has any factual context to fall back on.

When have the facts ever mattered?

20 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

This isn't a timing issue Donovan should be coming in next fall and if the coaching staff is trying to push him back then they are just stupid. He is one of the recruits I am most excited about he is gonna be a good one. I'd have him right up at the top of the list with Halliday and Rizzo as far as our forward prospects go. If you need to make room off the current roster then you figure out a way to make room. 

I agree, but at this point in time Blaisdell is easily ahead of him if you ask me. Pinto, Caulfield, and Rizzo too.  Donovan has not stood out while playing ushl games and not the AAPG either.  He could easily use a year of juniors.  I’d be fine with bringing him next year if we had room, but he’d most likely be a fish out of water next year.  I highly doubt he’d be that effective at all and may end up sitting games.  He’s not tufte let alone mittelstadt at this point in his development.  I really like RD but I honestly think he’ll be a longer term project.  I thought he would go play ushl next year then play 2-3 years at UND.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree, but at this point in time Blaisdell is easily ahead of him if you ask me. Pinto, Caulfield, and Rizzo too.  Donovan has not stood out while playing ushl games and not the AAPG either.  He could easily use a year of juniors.  I’d be fine with bringing him next year if we had room, but he’d most likely be a fish out of water next year.  I highly doubt he’d be that effective at all and may end up sitting games.  He’s not tufte let alone mittelstadt at this point in his development.  I really like RD but I honestly think he’ll be a longer term project.  I thought he would go play ushl next year then play 2-3 years at UND.

I've seen enough of Donovan to know that he is more than capable of contributing at UND next year. He has some similarities to Tufte. I haven't seen enough games of Blaisdell, Pinto, and Rizzo to know their exact game but I saw both Caulfield and Donovan a number of times last winter and if I had to choose who was the better player now it wasn't close Donovan by a mile. He only played 4 USHL games and was playing through an injury. I don't put much stock at all into the AAPG lot of guys didn't look to be playing at full effort and it was definitely an exhibition type game. He is a very good skater, good skill, solid in d-zone, and can play a physical game as well. At the absolute worst he would settle in to a 3rd line role where he is checking the other teams top line most of the time. He is gonna have huge numbers in high school again this year and will probably be a 2nd round pick those are the types of guys you bring in right away.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

I've seen enough of Donovan to know that he is more than capable of contributing at UND next year. He has some similarities to Tufte. I haven't seen enough games of Blaisdell, Pinto, and Rizzo to know their exact game but I saw both Caulfield and Donovan a number of times last winter and if I had to choose who was the better player now it wasn't close Donovan by a mile. He only played 4 USHL games and was playing through an injury. I don't put much stock at all into the AAPG lot of guys didn't look to be playing at full effort and it was definitely an exhibition type game. He is a very good skater, good skill, solid in d-zone, and can play a physical game as well. At the absolute worst he would settle in to a 3rd line role where he is checking the other teams top line most of the time. He is gonna have huge numbers in high school again this year and will probably be a 2nd round pick those are the types of guys you bring in right away.

Agreed...he doesn’t play over any of the guys I just mentioned though.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Caulfield has already produced against college competition though.  

16 minutes ago, franchise said:

Would play over most of the current roster though. Need to find a way to cut dead weight if he wants to be on campus next yr

We don't know that.  People thought Adams should have come a year earlier as well, and he ended up sitting most of the second half of the season last year to guys who are perceived as "dead weight".  Adams even put up great numbers in the USHL.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

We don't know that.  People thought Adams should have come a year earlier as well, and he ended up sitting most of the second half of the season last year to guys who are perceived as "dead weight".  Adams even put up great numbers in the USHL.

Completely agree 100%.  

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Would play over most of the current roster though. Need to find a way to cut dead weight if he wants to be on campus next yr

Haha ya right.  Don’t confuse me with not wanting this kid st UND, but he still has an unknown about him.  He has only produced at the HS level.  If we lose him, that sucks.  And I’m sure down the road he’d put some points up on us.  But I know he has went against the coaching staff with recommended guidance on his development.  Barry wants his players to play a year of juniors.  Also, I’m not sold that he’s that much better than the kids we already have coming in, that are actually putting up strong numbers against junior competition 

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha ya right.  Don’t confuse me with not wanting this kid st UND, but he still has an unknown about him.  He has only produced at the HS level.  If we lose him, that sucks.  And I’m sure down the road he’d put some points up on us.  But I know he has went against the coaching staff with recommended guidance on his development.  Barry wants his players to play a year of juniors.  Also, I’m not sold that he’s that much better than the kids we already have coming in, that are actually putting up strong numbers against junior competition 

I was trying to think of guys who came here from high school recently without playing a full year of juniors. Oshie is the only one that immediately comes to mind, but I don't think Brain Lee played a full year of juniors either. How many others have skipped playing a full year of juniors?

4 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I was trying to think of guys who came here from high school recently without playing a full year of juniors. Oshie is the only one that immediately comes to mind, but I don't think Brain Lee played a full year of juniors either. How many others have skipped playing a full year of juniors?

Brock Nelson. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Brock Nelson is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

13 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Michael Forney

2 hours ago, tnt said:

There is more than one reason that a kid doesn't see the ice. It wasn't because he wasn't ready.

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agree, I don't want to lose a player with that kind of upside, so if they can rearrange scholarship money to fit him that would be great.  I realize it is his Twitter account, but find it funny that Brad would throw that out without any backing, then retweet someone else that it might not be relevant. Hope for the best, and that Donovan has a high school season and Juniors right after to warrant bringing him in.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Agree, I don't want to lose a player with that kind of upside, so if they can rearrange scholarship money to fit him that would be great.  I realize it is his Twitter account, but find it funny that Brad would throw that out without any backing, then retweet someone else that it might not be relevant. Hope for the best, and that Donovan has a high school season and Juniors right after to warrant bringing him in.

I found that odd as well, it would surprise me though if there wasn't something to it for Brad to mention it. 

We've hashed this out a bunch already, so most of this will be a repeat. It's time for Berry to earn that paycheck and make some difficult decisions. It's very clear to everyone for the second year in a row this team struggles to put it lightly to score goals. You look at the lineup tonight and the bottom six are essentially both four line players. This is a two year problem that will turn into a three year problem with the Junior class taking up so many of the Forwards spots. 

Like others have mentioned, he needs to get very creative with his scholarship money. We know for sure the 3 for 3 trade off that will already happen. Bringing in a fourth with Blaisdell is a must already, so he's already going to have to figure that out. To really turn this roster around, you can't let a guy like Donovan walk. This team needs talent, the good news is they have it in the pipeline, the bad news, scholarship money. The coaching staff needs to figure this out. 

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits