SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 8/27/2018 at 11:52 AM, tnt said:

If Blaisdell is drafted high that most certainly would be a no brainer bringing him in, but that will probably be contingent on taking a step forward in production now that he is a little older.  It will be interesting to see how many points he puts up this year compared to Rizzo. 

https://bchl.ca/stats/player/4891/36/harrison-blaisdell

Guess Blaisdell has taken that step forward. Already half way to his point total of last year and 2/3 of the way to his goal total.  He was no where close to the other big time '01 recruit Alex Newhook (BC) last year, but certainly has hit his stride so far this year! Too bad Rizzo hasn't been able to play more than a game.

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

UND eligible draft prospects for ‘19 graded a lot lower than I would have thought. Highest is Rizzo and donavon with B’s

Yes / No, I wouldn't have thought any would have an A grade, the one thing to note is although the NHL isn't the NHL of old when it was all about size, UND's draft eligible prospects still don't have the prototypical size (outside of Donovan / Caulfield). Love guys like Rizzo (B), Blaisdell (C), will be fantastic college hockey players. 

Full list:

B: Donovan ('19), Rizzo ('19)

C: Bast ('19), Blaisdell ('20), Caulfield ('19), Frisch ('19), Pinto ('20)

Did I miss anyone? I think the only one who I would have expected on there is Mancinelli. The CSS Preliminary Rankings had the year expected next to the player, did they talk to each player before coming up with those? 

16 hours ago, AJS said:

Yes / No, I wouldn't have thought any would have an A grade, the one thing to note is although the NHL isn't the NHL of old when it was all about size, UND's draft eligible prospects still don't have the prototypical size (outside of Donovan / Caulfield). Love guys like Rizzo (B), Blaisdell (C), will be fantastic college hockey players. 

a B is a second/third round projection.  I thought more would have fit into that grading.  Frisch received rave reviews after the AAPG.

51 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/roster/North-Dakota/40

Assuming Keegan Karki as a 2019 recruit is based on old information.  Everything else seems up to date, other than Mitch Miller being a defensive recruit.

Pretty good balance:  7 frosh, 7 sophs, 7 jrs, and 5 srs.  I guess you can plan that when you don't have so many early departures. 

10 hours ago, tnt said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/roster/North-Dakota/40

Assuming Keegan Karki as a 2019 recruit is based on old information.  Everything else seems up to date, other than Mitch Miller being a defensive recruit.

As of today, I doubt Costello makes it to campus next year.  I could be wrong, he'll need to have a good year this year.  Pinto would be firmly ahead of him IMHO.

21 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

a B is a second/third round projection.  I thought more would have fit into that grading.  Frisch received rave reviews after the AAPG.

I'm guessing Ethan needs to show it for a full season beyond the MSHSL level to move up a level. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:03 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I'm guessing Ethan needs to show it for a full season beyond the MSHSL level to move up a level. 

Per Schlossman

Scouts have quietly been raving about Frisch, saying he's going to skyrocket up the draft rankings as he plays for the Green Bay Gamblers in the United States Hockey League during his senior season.

But what do I know. ;) :D 

43 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Former Grand Forks Central goalie Kaleb Johnson.

I am proud and honored to announce my commitment to play college hockey at The University of North Dakota. Thanks to all my coaches, family, and friends who have helped my childhood dream come true!

Wow, kind of surprised they didn't wait to see a year in the USHL first, but who knows what the offer entails.  Usually, you can wait on goaltenders because there are a lot of late bloomers that have great junior credentials.  Just wondering if the local guys are wait and see offers because they have connections to UND and really want to be here with guys like Johnson and Montgomery.  Was expecting a Cole Spicer first, but great to have the local guys that know what the program is all about. With the commitments out of the way, they can focus on getting their games ready for the next level.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Wow, kind of surprised they didn't wait to see a year in the USHL first, but who knows what the offer entails.  Usually, you can wait on goaltenders because there are a lot of late bloomers that have great junior credentials.  Just wondering if the local guys are wait and see offers because they have connections to UND and really want to be here with guys like Johnson and Montgomery.  Was expecting a Cole Spicer first, but great to have the local guys that know what the program is all about. With the commitments out of the way, they can focus on getting their games ready for the next level.

Completely agree.  Not sure how his season has started in Cloquet, but I thought if he ended up here he would be a 21 year old Freshman type. 

1 hour ago, Mhockey said:

I’m surprised by this. He didn’t make all edc in high school and after four games is committed to UND?

All EDC is sometimes very subjective.  A lot of times people think that players are a product of their team as a whole, which in some circumstances is correct.  One loss in 40 games is impressive no matter which way you look at it.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We have no idea what is is getting as far as scholarship money, he might be Bob’ s replacement or the coaches have seen more then us.

“When I’m ready, I’ll come in,” he said. “I’m definitely not going to rush it. I’m going to take my time and when I think I’m ready, I’m going to come.”

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this quote from the Grand Forks Herald makes me believe scholarship wouldn't be much starting out, because obviously you would need to have enough scholarship money to come in if that were the case.