SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Really interesting when you remind yourself who has won the natty the last four years ; duluth, denver, und and providence 

# Blue chippas dont win natties on their own (/s)

Agreed, but after watching last year's team and the sophomore (now junior class) in particular I think it is even harder to win a nattie without any scorers.  

35 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agreed, but after watching last year's team and the sophomore (now junior class) in particular I think it is even harder to win a nattie without any scorers.  

Having one or two players with elite puck possession skills can make such a difference--one that creates opportunities for everyone on the ice, including the four-year guys.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, burd said:

Having one or two players with elite puck possession skills can make such a difference--one that creates opportunities for everyone on the ice, including the four-year guys.

I think the junior class will pick it up a bit. I could see a guy like hoff step up.  Also, Colton poolman has been nice.  And we’re were supposed to have Jost for his sophomore year, I’m guessing he would have done some damage had he stayed.

14 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Who made the playoffs all 4 years?

Props to BU for getting it done when they had to, but we were closer to making it by our record than they would have been had they not gone on a run.  But I see now that your narrative has changed from Nattys.  Nice to know you can be so flexible with that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Props to BU for getting it done when they had to, but we were closer to making it by our record than they would have been had they not gone on a run.  But I see now that your narrative has changed from Nattys.  Nice to know you can be so flexible with that. 

I think he was trolling. And you took the bait.

I wonder if any teams have turned down "blue chip" type players because they needed more grinders.  I doubt it.  I think teams typically get all the top guys they can and fill in what's needed. Some times there's a lot to fill in, some times not much. 

As a case study, Minnesota used to essentially have their pick of the top 5-6 Minnesota HS kids.  That led to very good teams, but no championships in large part to the lack of roll players and the star mentality of all the incoming kids.  

I think the key  is having high end guys that are willing, and able, to play the roll of a 3rd or 4th liner if they aren't top line guys at this level.  Essentially,  anti-Patrick White players.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

I wonder if any teams have turned down "blue chip" type players because they needed more grinders.  I doubt it.  I think teams typically get all the top guys they can and fill in what's needed. Some times there's a lot to fill in, some times not much. 

As a case study, Minnesota used to essentially have their pick of the top 5-6 Minnesota HS kids.  That led to very good teams, but no championships in large part to the lack of roll players and the star mentality of all the incoming kids.  

I think the key  is having high end guys that are willing, and able, to play the roll of a 3rd or 4th liner if they aren't top line guys at this level.  Essentially,  anti-Patrick White players.

No

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

I think we can pretty much end this discussion, because I don't know how anyone would disagree with this. It also lines up with my "it's more likely for a high end player to not make that kind of impact than it is for a role player to be anything outside of that" line of thinking.

There are a lot of very responsible two way players who have high end skill, just because they can contribute offensively doesn't mean that they struggle on the defensive end. Having only two lines that can contribute offensively on a regular basis (see last year), isn't a winning formula.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I think we can pretty much end this discussion, because I don't know how anyone would disagree with this. It also lines up with my "it's more likely for a high end player to not make that kind of impact than it is for a role player to be anything outside of that" line of thinking.

There are a lot of very responsible two way players who have high end skill, just because they can contribute offensively doesn't mean that they struggle on the defensive end. Having only two lines that can contribute offensively on a regular basis (see last year), isn't a winning formula.

And they need to play a full 60 minutes. 

15 hours ago, hky said:

I don't care what they're called, what class they're in, or who gets the credit/blame.  Just please, please, please...someone, anyone...someone has got to put the puck in the net.

Hoping to see the Mismash, Jones, Kawaguchi line take off next year and really click. Maybe try out Weatherby with JJ and Gardner.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I wouldn't hate that. Not sure I think of Smith as a Top 6, but then again, not sure JJ really is, either. I don't know lol.

Just put the three biggest guys we have in the ice at one time. Jasper can score. Gardner and Smith can muck it up. Talk about a heavy line with length.

I’ve never ever heard someone argue that a team should pass up on the highest rated players (except for character issues).

If Chicago University performed a 40 year back-tested statistical study to prove it was a valid strategy there would probably be a Nobel Prize in there somewhere. 

I will grant that the one-and-done may complicate the graph but probably not much. 

That being said, this looks like a pretty good class on it’s way. Right now my favorite grinder is Berry, keep it up coach. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

I’ve never ever heard someone argue that a team should pass up on the highest rated players (except for character issues).

If Chicago University performed a 40 year back-tested statistical study to prove it was a valid strategy there would probably be a Nobel Prize in there somewhere. 

I will grant that the one-and-done may complicate the graph but probably not much. 

That being said, this looks like a pretty good class on it’s way. Right now my favorite grinder is Berry, keep it up coach. 

Where is Chicago University?

On 6/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, AJS said:

US Select 17 Development Camp (2001) starts next Tuesday.

Mancinelli - Team Gold

Miller - Team Red

Schmaltz - Team Royal

Always fun to see how the UND recruits match up against the best of their birth year (USNTDP members excluded)

Through 3 days:

Mancinelli - 2 G 2 A 

Miller - No Points

Schmaltz - 1 A

Reid - No Points

*Had no idea Reid was a dual citizen, so didn't look for him originally 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits