SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

17 minutes ago, tnt said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170552

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196971

For comparison sake, I believe the 2014-2015 season would be Jost’s 16 year old season.

Good comparison. Curious to see what line Jost played on that year. Rizzo was on the third line as a 16 year old this year. Makes sense why his production is a little less than 1 point-per-game. 

1 minute ago, tho0505 said:

Good comparison. Curious to see what line Jost played on that year. Rizzo was on the third line as a 16 year old this year. Makes sense why his production is a little less than 1 point-per-game. 

The team jost played on was juiced and was high scoring. The vees team this past year was balanced and played tough D.

26 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The team jost played on was juiced and was high scoring. The vees team this past year was balanced and played tough D.

I wasn't referring to his 100+ point season; I was referring to the season prior when he would have been a similar age and used similarly.  That's what TNT was posting to compare apples to apples. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

You guys act all giddy like blue chippers are all that matter.  I say they need players who will play a full 60 minutes and use crisp short passes. 

I don't think we disagree on what we want - just slightly on how to get there.  I think that we can agree that last year's team played the opposite of what you want.  Play for 60 minutes?  From what I saw, we set a modern day record at UND for leads given up, goals given up within a minute of scoring, and missed open nets.  As for short, crisp passes - chipping it off the glass doesn't count.  It sounds like almost everyone wants us to step up the recruiting from certainly the soon to be Junior class that gave us the lack of puck skills we saw up front last year.  Blue Chippers by definition should have skills coming in.  You don't have to look further back than the passing clinic goal against Miami to see short, crisp passes in action.  Touching the puck in that sequence were Boesser and Schmaltz, two Blue Chippers, and Caggula and Stecher who seem to be the kind of player you desire.  I submit that we need a mix of both and the great experiment of getting more grinders and fewer top talent because they might leave early has left us short.  We need both high enders and players who develop into high enders in College.  We need to recruit like we are the top program in the country (which we are).  I loved Rizzo's comments about our program.  Blue Chippers are certainly not all that matters, but they do matter a lot.

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

I don't think we disagree on what we want - just slightly on how to get there.  I think that we can agree that last year's team played the opposite of what you want.  Play for 60 minutes?  From what I saw, we set a modern day record at UND for leads given up, goals given up within a minute of scoring, and missed open nets.  As for short, crisp passes - chipping it off the glass doesn't count.  It sounds like almost everyone wants us to step up the recruiting from certainly the soon to be Junior class that gave us the lack of puck skills we saw up front last year.  Blue Chippers by definition should have skills coming in.  You don't have to look further back than the passing clinic goal against Miami to see short, crisp passes in action.  Touching the puck in that sequence were Boesser and Schmaltz, two Blue Chippers, and Caggula and Stecher who seem to be the kind of player you desire.  I submit that we need a mix of both and the great experiment of getting more grinders and fewer top talent because they might leave early has left us short.  We need both high enders and players who develop into high enders in College.  We need to recruit like we are the top program in the country (which we are).  I loved Rizzo's comments about our program.  Blue Chippers are certainly not all that matters, but they do matter a lot.

I should have used a smiley. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely no offense intended but that’s what blue chips do. 

There’s a lot of guys who go all-out 60 minutes; if they don’t that’s on the coaches and staff. But you can’t coach speed, instinct, past training, or natural athleticism. 

Congrats to the staff on this one, keep em’ coming. 

My fault, guys, for not using a smiley, but does anybody really think a person could make such a cliche and overbroad statement as I did above and be doing anything but making fun of us all.  60 full minutes and crisp passes???  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, burd said:

My fault, guys, for not using a smiley, but does anybody really think a person could make such a cliche and overbroad statement as I did above and be doing anything but making fun of us all.  60 full minutes and crisp passes???  

Yes. Weekly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1