SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So moral of the story... our defense is gonna be legit next year?

This will be as strong of a 7-man unit as I can remember.

Poolman (L) - JBD (R)

Tychonick (L) - Bast (R)

Shaw / Peski / Kierstad

14 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So moral of the story... our defense is gonna be legit next year?

I see all six of those guys as being good enough to get power play time.    It is going to be hard for the coaches to decide who gets pp time on any given night.  To keep them rested for the penalty kill, maybe they don't put Poolman or Shaw on the pp.  I suppose it all depends on how fast the young guys can make an impact.  Like I said, expectations can sometimes be a liability. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Poolman (L) - JBD (R)

Tychonick (L) - Bast (R)

Shaw / Peski / Kierstad

I know Rieger had that error against St. Cloud, but I certainly very much like his game as well.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

All six of those guys I could see getting time on the power play.   It is going to be hard for the coaches to decide who gets pp time on any given night.  To keep them rested for the penalty kill, maybe they don't put Poolman or Shaw on the pp.  I suppose it all depends on how fast the young guys can make an impact.  Like I said, expectations can sometimes be a liability. 

I’d rather have a bunch of guys with PP abilities than be over reliant on 1 guy to do everything back there. Like Wolanin this last year and Poolman the year before. 

10 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

If jbd and Tychonik are already playing paired together and have good chemistry, would it be worth splitting them if they both come in next year

Honestly yeah. I know they're both very good, but no matter how talented you are you can't teach experience. I'd rather pair them with guys who have a year or two of college under their belts. I think that's the best way to maximize their abilities year 1, but that's just me.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Poolman (L) - JBD (R)

Tychonick (L) - Bast (R)

Shaw / Peski / Kierstad

Very strong and with the injury issues that Bast has had the past few years having 7 very strong defensemen gives you that feeling of security.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Honestly yeah. I know they're both very good, but no matter how talented you are you can't teach experience. I'd rather pair them with guys who have a year or two of college under their belts. I think that's the best way to maximize their abilities year 1, but that's just me.

Agreed.  Wouldn’t mind seeing them together however tychonik played an entire year in penticton with bast. So...

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2018 at 2:12 PM, AJS said:

Poolman (L) - JBD (R)

Tychonick (L) - Bast (R)

Shaw / Peski / Kierstad

No offense, but does your memory extend back two years?  Four of those guys have already played in the NHL.  They were also mostly older, which is a huge plus in the college game.  

I'm optimistic as well, but I haven't even seen the new guys play yet.

12 minutes ago, jk said:

No offense, but does your memory extend back two years?  Four of those guys have already played in the NHL.  They were also mostly older, which is a huge plus in the college game.  

The '16 defense was very good obviously, you'd get no argument that the Top 4 that year will most likely be better than the Top 4 next year. I think if you dig into the '16 D-core a little more you have a clear Top 3 (Stecher, LaDue, Poolman), then you have a tier with Ausmus / Thompson and finally Wolanin and Shaw. Stecher was so good that he elevated Ausmus' game to a level that made that pairing very good.

When I said 7-man unit, I still think it's possible and probably likely that a Bast, Shaw, Peski & Kierstad (4-7) are stronger than an Ausmus, Thompson, Wolanin & Shaw (4-7) in '16. The Top 3 in '16 probably tip the scales overall. It should be a fun group to watch. What I like so much about Tychonick and JBD is they aren't projects in the sense where they are highly ranked because of size, it's pure skill. Tychonick might be the best skater on the team next year.  

38 minutes ago, jk said:

The defense on the 2016 team was so good because they basically had the same core defensive unit for 3 years.

Our current  group this last season had no seniors and lost just one guy early. This is the beginning of a strong group back there. 

Even without seeing the new guys, I feel good about the returning group there. 

On 4/16/2018 at 2:19 PM, tnt said:

I know Rieger had that error against St. Cloud, but I certainly very much like his game as well.  

Absolutely! One bad error does not define Riegers career at UND. Overall, I thought the kid showed a ton of potential and grit.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The defense on the 2016 team was so good because they basically had the same core defensive unit for 3 years.

Our current  group this last season had no seniors and lost just one guy early. This is the beginning of a strong group back there. 

Even without seeing the new guys, I feel good about the returning group there. 

Don't forget about a group of forwards that would backcheck the bejeebus out of teams... Schmaltz, Cag, Boeser, LJ, Rhett, Pogo....

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

#butscoring

:D UMD putting up 9 goals all tourney proved you don't need to score to win a title, but it sure can help! I believe our D is gonna take some pressure of the forwards next year, maybe free them up to put the damn puck in the net! Also, that d sure will come in handy for Thome and Scheel as they get more comfortable.

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

:D UMD putting up 9 goals all tourney proved you don't need to score to win a title, but it sure can help! I believe our D is gonna take some pressure of the forwards next year, maybe free them up to put the damn puck in the net! Also, that d sure will come in handy for Thome and Scheel as they get more comfortable.

This was the first time ever that a team won every game in the NCAA tournament by one goal. So I don't think we can count on doing it that way. Scoring goals makes it much easier to win. #nobrainerlogic

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Scoring goals makes it easier to overcome that bad hop off the dasher or the one that the goalie wants back. 

Don't get me wrong, I know this team needs to score more. But, I was just bummed with the narrative that our recruiting is down despite the best d-corps pipeline in the country.

42 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Don't get me wrong, I know this team needs to score more. But, I was just bummed with the narrative that our recruiting is down despite the best d-corps pipeline in the country.

I agree that we have some great talent in the pipeline with the d-men.  Usually nothing is as good or as bad as the fan board paints it.  I admit to being one who has expressed frustration with our recruiting on offense.  I truly hope this idea is wrong.  Where did it come from?  First, looking at last year's team we had a marked decrease in the number of drafted players - I know, I know - Caggula,  but no one appeared to be upping his game last year.  Second, our sophomore class - with the number of early departures this group was expected to step up and fill in and for the most part was a bust.  Third, the eye test - it was tough watching us fight the puck, chip it off the glass, and not be able to hold leads (to say nothing about our power play).  The missing high-end skills were pretty visible.  I hope this narrative is only fan over-reaction,  but seeing not only Denver, but St. Cloud and Duluth pull in good talent sent a collective worry through many fans.  Remember, we are used to NHL talent playing here.  Could this be an over-reaction from me and other fans - sure.  To be honest, we've had such a good run it is hard to know what to make of the last season.  Will Berry right the ship - I really think he will.  Should we as fans hope for some more firepower - absolutely.  

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits