SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

44 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

I don’t think they can ask a 2nd round pick to go back and play a third year in the AJHL and I don’t think they should either. The second a kid gets drafted the clock starts running on when he’ll be signed, so they may as well get him to campus as soon as possible

He said on The Pipeline Show last month that his arrival is still up in the air, but as of now, it’s a 2019 arrival. I assume he is the contingency plan if Colton Poolman leaves early. 

He doesn’t turn 18 until June, so he’d be one of the youngest players in college hockey if he comes in the fall. I will say he sounds very mature for his age though. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He said on The Pipeline Show last month that his arrival is still up in the air, but as of now, it’s a 2019 arrival. I assume he is the contingency plan if Colton Poolman leaves early. 

He doesn’t turn 18 until June, so he’d be one of the youngest players in college hockey if he comes in the fall. I will say he sounds very mature for his age though. 

He won't come next year and when he does, he will be one and done.

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Huh I guess I stand corrected. I wonder if he'll only be on campus for two seasons or when he does come, since he'll already have played a year drafted

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Huh I guess I stand corrected. I wonder if he'll only be on campus for two seasons or when he does come, since he'll already have played a year drafted

To be fair, there are players that have played juniors after being drafted. Mostly later round picks though. Gersich, Collin Adams on the current roster come to mind. Jason Gregoire is another -drafted  3rd round, went to another year of USHL before coming to UND. 

We’ll see what happens this summer at the draft. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

NDTP Evaluation Camp is going on currently, UND has 3 recruits participating (Kleven, Kunz, Sanderson):

Here's a couple articles from Neutral Zone:

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/03/25/ntdp-evaluation-camp-day-1-notes/

No. 1’s Played Like It

Our #1 rated forward Antonio Stranges and No. 1 rated defenseman Tyler Kleven played like it and were a step ahead of the competition. Stranges opened the scoring with a beautiful deke goal on Drew Comesso on a breakaway and was the most dynamic playmaker in the camp.

Klevens brings the size, the skating ability, the heavy shot, the physicality and the athleticism making him a force at both ends of the ice.

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/03/26/ntdp-evaluation-camp-day-2-notes/

This camp features an impressive six players who played this past season in Canada from Quebec to Alberta and while they all showed well on Day #1, the group as a whole took a step forward on Day #2. From Western Canada Jake Sanderson and Anthony Kehrer have been among the best defenders here and up front Quebec Midget AAA standout 

Edit: NZ posted the Line Charts for the Final Day, there are 4 less forwards and 4 less D than there has been the other days (Kleven and Kunz missing today). It's safe to say, they've seen enough of those 8 players to make their decision on if they should get an invite or not.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

NDTP Evaluation Camp is going on currently, UND has 3 recruits participating (Kleven, Kunz, Sanderson):

Here's a couple articles from Neutral Zone:

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/03/25/ntdp-evaluation-camp-day-1-notes/

No. 1’s Played Like It

Our #1 rated forward Antonio Stranges and No. 1 rated defenseman Tyler Kleven played like it and were a step ahead of the competition. Stranges opened the scoring with a beautiful deke goal on Drew Comesso on a breakaway and was the most dynamic playmaker in the camp.

Klevens brings the size, the skating ability, the heavy shot, the physicality and the athleticism making him a force at both ends of the ice.

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/03/26/ntdp-evaluation-camp-day-2-notes/

This camp features an impressive six players who played this past season in Canada from Quebec to Alberta and while they all showed well on Day #1, the group as a whole took a step forward on Day #2. From Western Canada Jake Sanderson and Anthony Kehrer have been among the best defenders here and up front Quebec Midget AAA standout 

Edit: NZ posted the Line Charts for the Final Day, there are 4 less forwards and 4 less D than there has been the other days (Kleven and Kunz missing today). It's safe to say, they've seen enough of those 8 players to make their decision on if they should get an invite or not.

I never heard anything on how Kunz did.  And he didn’t dress in the final game (neither did kleven however he was mentioned a bunch as far as having a very good camp).

Schlossman had an update blog this morning, based on that it looks like:

Offer:

Kleven

Sanderson

No Offer:

Kunz

Like he mentioned, there are always players who decline the offer, so we'll see how it shakes out.

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

Schlossman had an update blog this morning, based on that it looks like:

Offer:

Kleven

Sanderson

No Offer:

Kunz

Like he mentioned, there are always players who decline the offer, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Some of those MN kids may decline the offer (for some crazy reason).  Kunz may still get the late add.  UMD with 4 recruits?!? Sandy has been a beast lately.

57 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Some of those MN kids may decline the offer (for some crazy reason).  Kunz may still get the late add.  UMD with 4 recruits?!? Sandy has been a beast lately.

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
Follow Follow @JeffCoxSports
More

Best pro prospect who didn’t get NTDP offer out of camp was North Dakota commit Jackson Kunz. A USHL team is going to be very lucky to scoop up the power forward.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:
Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
More

The top player at NTDP Evaluation Camp and the clear front runner for top NHL prospect in this age group is North Dakota commit Tyler Kleven, a left-shot D from Fargo Davies HS.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
More

Best pro prospect who didn’t get NTDP offer out of camp was North Dakota commit Jackson Kunz. A USHL team is going to be very lucky to scoop up the power forward.

But can they score?! I'm sure we'll make them 3rd or 4th liners... ;) #narrative #bluchippas

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Minnesota kids decline a lot more than anybody else and some have even started to just straight up decline the camp invitation. Especially if it is a metro kid there is no reason for them to have to go to the development program. They get to play strong competition with guys they have grown up with in full arenas and a chance to play in the state tournament that a lot of Minnesota kids dream about from the time they are young. It isn't a crazy reason at all to decline the development program.

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Minnesota kids decline a lot more than anybody else and some have even started to just straight up decline the camp invitation. Especially if it is a metro kid there is no reason for them to have to go to the development program. They get to play strong competition with guys they have grown up with in full arenas and a chance to play in the state tournament that a lot of Minnesota kids dream about from the time they are young. It isn't a crazy reason at all to decline the development program.

True. Plus the Elite League season helps quite a bit. Minnesota State Hockey tournament is one of if not the best High School tournament in the U.S. 

But, something to be said for playing against older competition and being at the front of the line for international competitions as well. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Yeah, I live in the tc.  I get it.  They don’t get nearly the comp as the NTDP but besides juniors, it’s top notch HS hockey.  I also haven’t heard of a kid declining the camp invite. Great way to showcase skills and learn.

17 hours ago, ChadR said:

Has anyone heard the story on Kunz from NTDP camp? I realize he could still end up there if players decline, but would he go USHL route this year if no invite?

I can’t seem to find a scouting report on his camp.  I always had heard he should make the team. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Jasper Weatherby going bonkers in the BCHL playoffs.  Good for him.

He needs to save some of that for this fall.  Looking forward to seeing him play.  Also seeing how much Hain has improved since we saw him last fall.