SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Right.  Typically the cutoff is August, each kid is different.  You’d think, given his Hockey skills, he would have sped things up a bit.  It’s been a while since I’ve heard of a kid potentially going hat high playing another year of juniors.  Hopefully CHL folks don’t come knocking...I wonder who has his rights?

I'm with you where I couldn't imagine a 2nd / 3rd rounder playing Juniors of any sort, or the NHL team that drafts him being ok with that. The question then is (1) Is he done with school (2) Alright playing Juniors one more year (3) If he wants to come in, besides Wolanin, who's out

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm with you where I couldn't imagine a 2nd / 3rd rounder playing Juniors of any sort, or the NHL team that drafts him being ok with that. The question then is (1) Is he done with school (2) Alright playing Juniors one more year (3) If he wants to come in, besides Wolanin, who's out

I’ve only heard of Europeans playing the ushl that were drafted that high...and all were goalies.  Berry would make room.  Maybe that why they’re talking about CJ moving to forward next year.

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

My favorite was when he skated by the Denver bench and asked Gwoz if they sold Men's clothing at the place he got his suit. TV happened to capture the video, not the audio(Hextall or a teammate let it be known what he said a few weeks later) but you could see the Denver players smiling and trying to hold back laughter. Gwoz was not happy.

Gwoz had to be my favorite opposing coach, especially looking back on it now. Great rivalry with a lot of great moments.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

He’s a June birthday...only several months younger than tychonik.  Parents must have held him back in school.  I’d say they finish that schooling up.  Couldn’t imagine a second rounder going back to play juniors...especially the AJ.

I take that back.  He is eligible for 2018, it just has him down on Heisenberg as a 2019.  Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. 

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/Oilers-freshman-commits-to-North-Dakota-20170222

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I’ve only heard of Europeans playing the ushl that were drafted that high...and all were goalies.  Berry would make room.  Maybe that why they’re talking about CJ moving to forward next year.

Or better yet, maybe Cam told Wolanin he should stay his Senior season and become a free agent.  O.k., not too realistic, but I can see them doing that to make room for Docker.  I would imagine he is moving up rather than down in Central Scouting, so get your years out of him while you can.  Sounds very mature for his age in his educational and community dealings. 

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

Or better yet, maybe Cam told Wolanin he should stay his Senior season and become a free agent.  O.k., not too realistic, but I can see them doing that to make room for Docker.  I would imagine he is moving up rather than down in Central Scouting, so get your years out of him while you can.  Sounds very mature for his age in his educational and community dealings. 

@Goon posted an interesting quote from a scout about Wolanin on his blog. Basically, Wolanin can become a free agent after this year and the belief is he will.

Edit: http://thesportsdaily.com/goonsworld-blog/corey-pronman-discusses-wolanin-and-poolman/

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Goon posted an interesting quote from a scout about Wolanin on his blog. Basically, Wolanin can become a free agent after this year and the belief is he will.

Edit: http://thesportsdaily.com/goonsworld-blog/corey-pronman-discusses-wolanin-and-poolman/

Just goes to show you how inexact the science is on recruiting.  All the players that didn't have any buzz in recruiting circles or fan interest are our best players -- Wolanin, Poolman, and Jones.  Here's to hoping we have a few more diamonds in the rough in our current recruiting classes. 

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

He would still be a free agent after next year correct? Maybe another dominant year could generate a larger/one way contract? Doubt he will look at it that way, and have no clue if that possibility on contract implication is possible, but it would definitely be nice to see the kid back. 

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

Honestly, it'd be nice to get him back, but he has to strike while the iron is hot. 

Agreed.  We somehow need to keep poolman. Getting in tychonik and and maybe JBD and we’ll be fine on the back end.  Losing forwards early will hurt.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  We somehow need to keep poolman. Getting in tychonik and and maybe JBD and we’ll be fine on the back end.  Losing forwards early will hurt.

I assume his brother will have some advice for him regarding the benefits of staying vs going pro. I don't know what that advice will be, whether he would say Colton is ready for the the jump, or that staying for a third year would be highly beneficial, but I'm sure his experiences both at UND and thus far in the pros will play a big part in Colton's decision.

54 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

He would still be a free agent after next year correct? Maybe another dominant year could generate a larger/one way contract? Doubt he will look at it that way, and have no clue if that possibility on contract implication is possible, but it would definitely be nice to see the kid back. 

I seem to recall something about getting to the show early for a player as a way to burn the first of their entry level contract was in the best interest of the player, not sure if I am recall that correctly or if more details make in applicable here. 

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I seem to recall something about getting to the show early for a player as a way to burn the first of their entry level contract was in the best interest of the player, not sure if I am recall that correctly or if more details make in applicable here. 

That's for an entry level draft contract. If you sign as a free agent, it can elevate your earning potential. 

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think for free agents it depends on age.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:

• 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

For every complaint that we don't attract high-end talent anymore, we need acknowledge that developing players so they can leave early (to a pro contract) will help make the program more appealing to high end talent.  It hurts short term, but the benefits are surely there for future recruiting.

Unless I'm wrong.   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, hky said:

Poolman and Wolanin have got to be the best D-pair in the country.  

I'd agree with that. Poolman doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves outside of ND, couldn't believe he was only an all NCHC honorable mention. Guys got a rock solid defensive game to go along with almost 30 points on the season. 

7 hours ago, AJS said:

Just throwing it out there but maybe they like Johnson better at forward and keep him there for good. Then if Wolanin leaves you have Shaw(SR), Poolman(JR), Peski(JR), Bast(SO), Kiersted(SO), Rieger(SO), Tychonick(FR), and Bernard-Docker(FR). Would certainly give you a very good battle for that 6th spot when everybody is healthy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Just throwing it out there but maybe they like Johnson better at forward and keep him there for good. Then if Wolanin leaves you have Shaw(SR), Poolman(JR), Peski(JR), Bast(SO), Kiersted(SO), Rieger(SO), Tychonick(FR), and Bernard-Docker(FR). Would certainly give you a very good battle for that 6th spot when everybody is healthy.

I think Hennessey said the plan is to keep Johnson at forward.  

On 3/13/2018 at 5:24 AM, scpa0305 said:

And mismash was a borderline blue chip.  Frattin was a kid that had to develop.

I said around Christmas that Mismash wasn't playing like everyone expected. He's really picked up his game over the last month though.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:58 PM, SiouxScore said:

It's crowded for sure. Wolanin  will leave, because of the hype and being a free agent. Docker will be asked to wait another year.

28 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Docker will be asked to wait another year.

I don’t think they can ask a 2nd round pick to go back and play a third year in the AJHL and I don’t think they should either. The second a kid gets drafted the clock starts running on when he’ll be signed, so they may as well get him to campus as soon as possible