SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

See my previous post, with those leaving and those coming in. If gersich stays (which I would assume is highly unlikely) only hain has the option of staying back and playing another year of juniors. 

Again, this does not matter. We already had enough recruits to cover the amount of fowards leaving due to graduation AND THEN we added depth. Then, we lost a player and then got that number back to where it was. 

Gersich's spot would have been planned for previously as he's a drafted and scholarship player. They would have recruited a player to replace him and not added a depth, non-scholly player at this point. This move IS NOT any indication that anyone is leaving. It's depth. 

50 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I tend to be pretty thankful of what we've been able to watch.  In a college hockey environment of increased parity where so many programs are fielding competitive teams making it exponentially more difficult to guarantee yourself a bid for the NCAAs, much less 16 straight. So much 'what have you done for me lately?' attitudes before the season is even over.

Oh and btw, this season is far from lost. Why bury it before it's dead? 

Agreed, but I wasn't the one saying it was lost. I was only responding that UND does, and should, have higher expectations that most other college programs.

38 minutes ago, Irish said:

Are the fans here over-reactive?  Absolutely.  This is a fan board.  And not just a fan board, but the fan board for the best hockey program in the country.  Like Alabama football or Duke basketball.  We are not used to losing.  And while many of us vent here, there is an underlying worry about recruiting.  This year's team is pretty punchless as to scoring.  If Wolanin and Gersech go along with Poganski graduating we don't return anyone who has scored 10 goals so far into this season.  Here would be our returning forwards and goals scored so far with 2 series left in the regular season:  Adams - 5; Yon - 1; Bowen - 1; Gardner - 6; Janatuinen - 4; Smith - 5; Hoff - 2; Kawaguchi - 3; Mismash - 7; and the leader Jones - 9.  We need a serious infusion of firepower and right soon.  Many of these guys are Sophs or Juniors and have shown little or no improvement.  That's why this years recruits are getting scrutinized.  We are missing our usual high-end players.  Another year without some absolute studs will be ugly.  

I would have lost a ridiculous amount of money on a bet with this one.  I thought he'd be flirting with 15

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, but I wasn't the one saying it was lost. I was only responding that UND does, and should, have higher expectations that most other college programs.

Yeah definitely should have higher expectations and I wasn't directing my statements just to you. I just wanted to point out that while we might not have the most national titles in the last 10-15 years, we are the most consistent program in the country without a "down year" since 2002. Zero programs besides ours can say that and I feel like people discount that. 

Also, we are one season removed from winning it all. There's a ton of things to be positive about.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, this does not matter. We already had enough recruits to cover the amount of fowards leaving due to graduation AND THEN we added depth. Then, we lost a player and then got that number back to where it was. 

Gersich's spot would have been planned for previously as he's a drafted and scholarship player. They would have recruited a player to replace him and not added a depth, non-scholly player at this point. This move IS NOT any indication that anyone is leaving. It's depth. 

Ok, I like to think of myself as having at the very least average intelligence. Pogo, Olson, simo, gornall = Weatherby, senden, keane, Hain.  We have also added this new kid...for explanatory purposes I’ll just say gersich.  Were we short another player? Or are you pointing to the fact that this is a new strategy to keep more non scholly players on the roster “just in case”.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ok, I like to think of myself as having at the very least average intelligence. Pogo, Olson, simo, gornall = Weatherby, senden, keane, Hain.  We have also added this new kid...for explanatory purposes I’ll just say gersich.  Were we short another player? Or are you pointing to the fact that this is a new strategy to keep more non scholly players on the roster “just in case”.

We were plus 1 in recruits for next year before Gornall decided to leave early. We already were bringing in an extra forward. Gornall left. We then added another recruit, bringing us back to that plus 1.

The addition is to replace Gornall's spot. Adding a player like Huber isn't replacing a guy like Gerisch in the pipeline. He's non-scholly. You replace a Gerisch-like player with a scholly player and his spot is recruited for. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We were plus 1 in recruits for next year before Gornall decided to leave early. We already were bringing in an extra forward. Gornall left. We then added another recruit, bringing us back to that plus 1.

The addition is to replace Gornall's spot. Adding a player like Huber isn't replacing a guy like Gerisch in the pipeline. He's non-scholly. You replace a Gerisch-like player with a scholly player and his spot is recruited for. 

We don’t actually know if Huber is non-scholarship. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Btw, I just reread this an if I'm coming off that I'm trying to insult you, that is absolutely not my intention whatsoever! I hope you aren't feeling that way.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

This is not always the case. It’s February, not June. 

Lol alright, well yes not ALWAYS the case, but, I'd be very surprised if he's a scholly player.

Anyway, the point still stands.... Gerisch isn't being replaced this late in the game. He would have had someone in the pipeline at the 3 and 4 year mark as a potential replacement. 

13 minutes ago, jk said:

A number of years ago now (time flies), a few forward recruits plateaued early and the coaches reached into the AJHL for late recruits in Rodwell and Rowney.  Their level of success both at UND and afterward differed, but they were important members of the program.  Rowney paraded around with the Stanley Cup about eight months ago.  We really won't know what we've got in these recruits until next fall at the earliest, and more likely a few years down the road.

For the lamentations about the lack of high-enders and the denigrations of overagers, if I recall correctly the 1997 team was without an NHL draft pick and stuffed full of overagers.  Did I love watching Schmaltz and Boeser?  Of course, but there's more than one way to compete.

This. I love hearing when a player has character. Seems cheesy at times, but I think effort is a big deal.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Alright, well, put it this way, I'd be very surprised if he's a scholly player.

Anyway, the point still stands.... Gerisch isn't being replaced this late in the game. He would have had someone in the pipeline at the 3 and 4 year mark as a potential replacement. 

I hope I didn’t come across as snapping at you. I’ve been bothered by disrespectful comments about (and in one case to) this recruit I saw on Twitter, and it’s got me on edge. 

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

This. I love hearing when a player has character. Seems cheesy at times, but I think effort is a big deal.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree.

12 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I hope I didn’t come across as snapping at you. I’ve been bothered by disrespectful comments about (and in one case to) this recruit I saw on Twitter, and it’s got me on edge. 

People are saying disrespectful things directly to the recruits? Ugh that's so obnoxious!

Definitely not coming off at snapping at me and I wasn't intending to make Huber sound like less of a player by guessing he's non-scholly.

We're good!

1 hour ago, jk said:

The 1997 team was without an NHL draft pick.

Which was pretty common in college hockey at that time.

Times have changed though. 

First round draft picks in 1994,1995,1996,1997 that played college hockey: 5

FIrst round draft picks in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 that played college hockey: 27

You can be a team with "high-enders" or you can be a team competing against "high-enders."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Which was pretty common in college hockey at that time to not have many, if any, draft picks.

Times have changed though. 

First round draft picks in 1994,1995,1996,1997 that played college hockey: 5

FIrst round draft picks in 2014, 2014, 2016, 2017 that played college hockey: 27

You can be a team with "high-enders" or you can be a team playing against "high-enders."

I agree totally - the college game has changed since 97.  In addition, we had some guys who could score on that team - D Hoogsteen - 27 goals, Blake - 19, K Hoogsteen - 18, Kallay and Panzer - 16, Bull 15, Henderson 14 - etc etc.  Our top goal getter this year has 11 so far and our points leader is a defenseman.  We need a serious upgrade in scoring.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree totally - the college game has changed since 97.  In addition, we had some guys who could score on that team - D Hoogsteen - 27 goals, Blake - 19, K Hoogsteen - 18, Kallay and Panzer - 16, Bull 15, Henderson 14 - etc etc.  Our top goal getter this year has 11 so far and our points leader is a defenseman.  We need a serious upgrade in scoring.  

Scoring in hockey as a whole has changed big time, too. But, this fits your narrative, so I get it lol.

• Upvote 1

The point is that a lack of drafted players need not keep a team from succeeding.  It was true in 1997, and it was proven to still be true recently in the revenge of the smart kids.  It doesn't make it a preferred approach to team-building perennially, but then that's not the situation UND is in.  I suspect UND's coaches try for a balance of older character guys (to keep the hotshots honest and humble and keep them from getting ground into dust by the WMUs of the world) and younger kids with world-class athleticism.  The current mix may not suit some of the faithful.

• Like 1