SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

Were all three in the same class? Have you ever heard of a guy named Jonny Brodzinski? Didn't score much in Juniors, but is playing in the NHL!

If you re-read my first post, it has nothing to do with any single member of next years class. I realize how important players like you mentioned are to the team. My frustration is with the number of maxed out players that are in next years class.

Note: A lot of it is losing Gersich early, it's just such a big blow for next year. Just one year, it would be nice to be surprised with everyone coming back.

Gaarder and Pattyn were along with Senkbeil. All walk-ons in a year in which we lost JT Miller in July or August. It's hard to believe that team won the Final Five playing with 11 forwards the last two months of the year with 3 being walk-ons in Gaarder, Pattyn and Senkbeil and a fourth being a d-man in Joe Gleason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Note: A lot of it is losing Gersich early, it's just such a big blow for next year. Just one year, it would be nice to be surprised with everyone coming back.

I'd say that for the most part, UND is better than most at retaining players an extra year (or two).  Jost leaving after one season was unexpected, but the fact that he was the first player to leave after one season since Belfour says a lot.

The year of the "The Pact" comes to mind when Oshie, Chorney, Duncan, etc all stayed another season after all received offers to leave early.  Only Toews left that season, but there was no way he was going to stick around for a Jr season.

34 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Gaarder and Pattyn were along with Senkbeil. All walk-ons in a year in which we lost JT Miller in July or August. It's hard to believe that team won the Final Five playing with 11 forwards the last two months of the year with 3 being walk-ons in Gaarder, Pattyn and Senkbeil and a fourth being a d-man in Joe Gleason.

Think Senkbeil was brought in as a D-man recruit, but had to play forward, because of the injury situation.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

What route is that?  Walk ons like Coltyn Sanderson, Connor Gaarder or Steph Pattyn?  Those kinds of heart and soul players are the difference between us and Minnesota.  Yes, we are short on the high end guys right now, but it’s not like there are a bunch of those available for next year.  

CC in the last couple weeks just got verbals from Middendorf and Cruicshank.

I'm not worried about down the road ('19 & on look good), or that this recruiting class is going to sink the ship, it's just more than any other one I can remember, this upcoming one really makes you wonder.

Hopefully they'll surprise ('16 class for example has probably out performed how I thought they'd do).

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Please don't go down that road. UND has the tradition, history, facilities and NHL alums to be able to get anyone they go after. But you never get all of them, nobody does.

It would be nice to get some of them - pretty blank for a few years as far as high-enders.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He is coming next year and is an obvious replacement for Gornall. I really don't understand the problem with this lol.

It’s speculated he’s coming because Gersich will be gone. We already have enough forwards coming in to replace the 3 senior forwards and Gornall’s departure. 

IMO, whether Gersich stays or goes, picking up another forward is a good idea considering the number of injuries the last 2 years... 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

It’s speculated he’s coming because Gersich will be gone. We already have enough forwards coming in to replace the 3 senior forwards and Gornall’s departure. 

IMO, whether Gersich stays or goes, picking up another forward is a good idea considering the number of injuries the last 2 years... 

Where is this speculation coming from? We picked up an extra forward because Gornall left. Had he still been on the team, we likely don't. 

You said it perfectly... it's a depth move. 

If Gersich is graduating, good for him. If not, well, there's a reason Rocco taking classes and getting his degree while playing pro was noteworthy. A degree and (potentially) a "C" at UND would enable Gersich to start much higher on the coaching ladder. Then again, it may not be his end goal. Not everyone wants to coach.

Regarding the new recruit, about as good as it gets this late in the game. Anyone have NZ access? Curious what they rate/say about him.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Well there is gersich’s spot next year.  Another overager from the AJ.

I don't understand how people don't see why this has nothing to do with Gersich. This is a move to replace Gornall. 

Gersich may go, but this addition has nothing to do with it. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't understand how people don't see why this has nothing to do with Gersich. This is a move to replace Gornall. 

Gersich may go, but those addition has nothing to do with it. 

Agreed, and makes complete sense. 

This move aside, I am interested to see what Gersich does. He could certainly use another year (as a lot of guys could), but I think he leaves and gets paid, which I also get. Hope to see him back because he is a heck of a player, and I think as some other players develop around him, he could contribute a lot as a senior.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

This move aside, I am interested to see what Gersich does. He could certainly use another year (as a lot of guys could), but I think he leaves and gets paid, which I also get. Hope to see him back because he is a heck of a player, and I think as some other players develop around him, he could contribute a lot as a senior.

If we can keep Gersich and Wolanin, we're going to be a top 5 team. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Based on the way he’s played this season, there has to be a chance he’d be back. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Being that both will be gone, where does that put us next season?  :)

Lol we'll see. I definitely think Wooly is gone, but Gersich's stock may have dropped this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed. I hope he does. He's an important player for us. Wouldn't blame him if he didn't, though.

2 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

No, this is Gersich's replacement.

With Gersich gone we'll have exactly 15 forwards next year.....Adams, Bowen, Gardner, Hain, Hoff, Huber, JJ, Jones, Kawaguchi, Keane, Mismash, Senden, Smith, Weatherby, Yon.  

No. We had enough forwards coming in before adding today. Huber is for Gornall. I don't get why this isn't black and white. Huber is a depth add since we already had enough forwards coming in regardless of what Shane does. What is everyone missing?! 

Even Schlossman is reporting this.

Again, Shane could go, but this isn't anything but adding a replacement (and a walk-on, for that matter) for a forward who we KNOW won't be here next year (Gornall).

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No. We had enough forwards coming in before adding today. Huber is for Gornall. I don't get why this isn't black and white. Huber is a depth add since we already had enough forwards coming in regardless of what Shane does. What is everyone missing?! 

Even Schlossman is reporting this.

Again, Shane could go, but this isn't anything but adding a replacement (and a walk-on, for that matter) for a forward who we KNOW won't be here next year (Gornall).

Well, including replacing Gornall, we are bringing in more forwards than we have leaving without an early departure... but then again we don’t have any senior D-men to graduate and we’re bringing in Tychonik but no ones freaking out about that... :whistling:

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Well, including replacing Gornall, we are bringing in more forwards than we have leaving without an early departure... but then again we don’t have any senior D-men to graduate and we’re bringing in Tychonik but no ones freaking out about that... :whistling:

Haha exactly! Tychonik is a scholly player where you need to allocate funds across players. Huber isn't... we could add 40 walk-ons and it just doesn't matter.

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it's fair to assume that Wolanin is gone after this year, that's not a hard piece to put together.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits