SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

If I'm not mistaken he is a junior this year. Being he brought a state title home you would have to think no one would fault him for leaving to play against better competition. It'll be interesting to see where he decides to go.

I honestly didn't see much difference between Hain and middlestadt...and hains a year younger.  You're right the competition between MN HS and the ushl (or a u18) schedule is night and day.  I would assume he would take his talents to a tougher league.  Him and McLaughlin playing high school hockey next year wouldn't even be fair.

• Upvote 1

It would be hard to go back to back for Hain and McLaughlin and it is probably more likely for them to leave now that they did win then if they would of lost. Somebody last night mentioned they assumed both would be gone but then another guy made a couple good points. When is the last time a Grand Rapids player left early? Also the guys really love to play for Klatt and he has the college and NHL experience kids value. I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way with what Hain and McLaughlin do but I hope they stay and just play USHL before and after the season they get enough experience just doing that no reason to leave early. I think we will see more high end Minnesota kids stay at least the next few years with Mittelstadt doing it this year and it not affecting him at all. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I honestly didn't see much difference between Hain and middlestadt...and hains a year younger.  You're right the competition between MN HS and the ushl (or a u18) schedule is night and day.  I would assume he would take his talents to a tougher league.  Him and McLaughlin playing high school hockey next year wouldn't even be fair.

I heard Middlestadt has been playing with a lower body injury from the section game versus Holy Family.  That has been slowing him down quite a bit.  I am pretty excited to see Hain playing for the good guys in a year or two. 

Just now, squirtcoach said:

I heard Middlestadt has been playing with a lower body injury from the section game versus Holy Family.  That has been slowing him down quite a bit.  I am pretty excited to see Hain playing for the good guys in a year or two. 

Ankle I believe, he was in pretty noticeable pain against Holy Family and battled through it the rest of the way but it did hurt his skating some.

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

It would be hard to go back to back for Hain and McLaughlin and it is probably more likely for them to leave now that they did win then if they would of lost. Somebody last night mentioned they assumed both would be gone but then another guy made a couple good points. When is the last time a Grand Rapids player left early? Also the guys really love to play for Klatt and he has the college and NHL experience kids value. I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way with what Hain and McLaughlin do but I hope they stay and just play USHL before and after the season they get enough experience just doing that no reason to leave early. I think we will see more high end Minnesota kids stay at least the next few years with Mittelstadt doing it this year and it not affecting him at all. 

Every player is different so it's hard to say which development path is best. Everything at this age is potential and where they're projected to be in 2-4 years. I'm sure for some kids going to the USHL, BCHL, or NTDP is the best path. While for others staying in high school would be the best for them. Some, like a Hain, could easily leave early it would seem. Nick Schmaltz was in the USHL early and it worked out pretty well. Others, like T. Poolman, need more time to develop and grow. I'm no expert by any means so I don't know what'd be best. You just hope these kids are surrounded by good people with the kids best interest being the number one priority. 

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Ankle I believe, he was in pretty noticeable pain against Holy Family and battled through it the rest of the way but it did hurt his skating some.

Interesting.  Can't be too bad though, sounds like he'll be in for GB their next game.

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Didn't they say this would be Klatt's last year?

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Every player is different so it's hard to say which development path is best. Everything at this age is potential and where they're projected to be in 2-4 years. I'm sure for some kids going to the USHL, BCHL, or NTDP is the best path. While for others staying in high school would be the best for them. Some, like a Hain, could easily leave early it would seem. Nick Schmaltz was in the USHL early and it worked out pretty well. Others, like T. Poolman, need more time to develop and grow. I'm no expert by any means so I don't know what'd be best. You just hope these kids are surrounded by good people with the kids best interest being the number one priority. 

The other factor is it isn't always about what they are projected to be and development. Sometimes it is just about being able to experience high school for one more year, being at home with your family, and playing with the guys you grew up with. There are tons of guys who could leave early and have fine success but some just might not want to leave what they've grown up with yet.

20 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

The other factor is it isn't always about what they are projected to be and development. Sometimes it is just about being able to experience high school for one more year, being at home with your family, and playing with the guys you grew up with. There are tons of guys who could leave early and have fine success but some just might not want to leave what they've grown up with yet.

I'm sure on top of that their are other factors that people who aren't close to the kids don't know about. For the best players it probably doesn't matter much which path you take. Numbers don't always translate from level to level. As a fan I'm always just curious to see how prospective players perform against better more seasoned competition.

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Yup, when TJ Oshie left high school hockey after his junior year is when he really developed.  It was even more critical for him to take his talents to a higher league because he was only in Class A.  It might have set him back 2 or 3 years if he had returned to Warroad for his senior year.  :0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yup, when TJ Oshie left high school hockey after his junior year is when he really developed.  It was even more critical for him to take his talents to a higher league because he was only in Class A.  It might have set him back 2 or 3 years if he had returned to Warroad for his senior year.  :0

Ridiculous comment!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rick said:

Haha you pull the one kid who went back....you should have brought up Nelson as well.  Nice. 

TJ averaged a pt per game his frosh year I believe.  I would like to know how many NHL first round draft prospects that played prep end up having those kind of college numbers the very next year.  I honestly can only think of Oshie....like over 10 years ago.

I'm guessing Middlestadt will do it next year.  But these boys are the outliers, not the norm.  Who was the last Sioux player that went from prep right to college?

41 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha you pull the one kid who went back....you should have brought up Nelson as well.  Nice. 

TJ averaged a pt per game his frosh year I believe.  I would like to know how many NHL first round draft prospects that play prep end up have those kind of college numbers the very next year.  I honestly can only think of Oshie....like over 10 years ago.

I'm guessing Middlestadt will do it next year.  But these boys are the outliers, not the norm.  Who was the last Sioux player that went from prep right to college?

Has anyone done it since Dillon Simpson?

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Simpson was a 4th rounder that played juniors prior to coming to UND.  You may have missed the topic?

Must've forgotten his history - it's been a few years since I thought about it.  I just remember him being named captain while being younger than some of the freshmen who came through juniors.  I forget Canada does juniors a lot earlier, letting him still come to campus at 17.  Watched too many USHL games, I guess! :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

TJ averaged a pt per game his frosh year I believe.  I would like to know how many NHL first round draft prospects that played prep end up having those kind of college numbers the very next year.  I honestly can only think of Oshie....like over 10 years ago.

Probably Brock Nelson not sure if he played USHL before/after his SR season though.

30 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Probably Brock Nelson not sure if he played USHL before/after his SR season though.

Brock played his senior year at Warroad.  He came in as a true freshman. I honesltly cannot think of another player that went HS right into UND (since him).

6 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Michael Forney is also one that went from prep to college and he was rushed. That did not end well for him. Not all his fault though. 

Yup.  That's why juniors are important.  The difference between HS and college is night and day.  Only the elite could do it.