SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seems like he's an offensive defenseman looking at his stats. 6' 180lbs

Agreed.  Sometimes you have to be careful looking at the Canadian Junior leagues as the depth isnt there (from team to team) as there are so many team/leagues.  For comparison's sake, Peski put up similar numbers at a much younger age than Rieger.  Peski's numbers went drastically down when he went to the USHL.  And Rieger is older than Peski right now.

This was a depth move as we are going to be pretty thin on the back end after this year.  You never know though...could be a late bloomer I guess, that keeps developing.  He must have something though or Berry wouldn't have given him an offer.

Defensive recruits are making me a little nervous right now, especially with how porous our current group seems to be. I know we were pampered last year, but it would be nice to get the group to somewhere between where we are now, and where we were last year. Hopefully they guys are learning a lot this year, and step up next season.

12 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Makes a person wonder what's up with Evers, Bast, Kiersted....

We don't need 4 incoming defensemen next year, do we?

Ausmus is a senior.
You have to assume Tucker Poolman goes. 
Chartrand is a sophomore that has never cracked the (non-exhibition) lineup. That's a combo that seldom sees a junior season. 
There's three slots in my mind. 
And then I'd have brought up Wolanin, except for his play the last couple weeks. 

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  Sometimes you have to be careful looking at the Canadian Junior leagues as the depth isnt there (from team to team) as there are so many team/leagues.  For comparison's sake, Peski put up similar numbers at a much younger age than Rieger.  Peski's numbers went drastically down when he went to the USHL.  And Rieger is older than Peski right now.

This was a depth move as we are going to be pretty thin on the back end after this year.  You never know though...could be a late bloomer I guess, that keeps developing.  He must have something though or Berry wouldn't have given him an offer.

I would have tried for Max Gildon.

I'm thinking Bast needs to get here under the training medical staff to get his injury under control (assuming he's still injured).

I know you can't base everything on draft rankings and junior accolades, but I'm at a loss for words at what will be the last two defensive recruiting classes (this year and next). I know how it happens and every school has plenty of misses when you recruit young, but this coaching staff missed, bad, on everyone. I don't see an above average player in the group. The 3 that came in this year were all average, in juniors. That's not changing with the 3 coming in next year.

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I know you can't base everything on draft rankings and junior accolades, but I'm at a loss for words at what will be the last two defensive recruiting classes (this year and next). I know how it happens and every school has plenty of misses when you recruit young, but this coaching staff missed, bad, on everyone. I don't see an above average player in the group. The 3 that came in this year were all average, in juniors. That's not changing with the 3 coming in next year.

I could see Poolman turning into a solid player. Casey Johnson is another one, who I would expect to show significant improvement between this year and next year.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Who knows, maybe somebody like Chartrand has said he wants to pursue playing time elsewhere and Rieger is going to fill in his walk on spot.  Speculation is just that, because it was thought that Sanderson might have pursued playing time elsewhere too when he didn't dress.  

You never know for sure what you're getting with most players. Guys like Sanderson, who don't play for pretty much three years, but stick it out and become a contributor are important. Just like guys who aren't drafted like Stetch and Caggs. Throw in some top end prospects like Schmaltz and Boeser and that's the formula as I see it. Having the mix of four year guys and high end players is what keeps you competitive while avoiding the drop offs that a Wisconsin has. We lost skill, leadership, and experience from last year's team, hard to replace all that. I have faith in our staff and their track record. I know this is a long post, but basically we'll see when he gets here.

• Upvote 2

Wolanin and Shaw will be fine. Both are highly talented. Wasn't Shaw USHL D of the year? They're having some struggles, which is very normal. At least from my view, the coaches seem to allow freshmen to just go out and play, keep their games simple, and capitalize on teachable moments. The coaches give them opportunity to succeed, but don't usually pile too much on. Going into 2nd and 3rd years is where they get more responsibility and tougher situations.

Even last year's team was giving up tons of grade A chances late in the season. Supposedly there was a flu going around during the DU series, but you could see breakdowns in quite a few games.

They need to start playing as a team, pick up for each other, and don't get too high or low. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I could see Poolman turning into a solid player. Casey Johnson is another one, who I would expect to show significant improvement between this year and next year.

I know not the thread to get into this discussion but I don't get why so many have given up on Peski so fast? Yes he had his struggles early in the year but it is unquestioned he is the more talented of him and Casey Johnson in my mind. Casey will never have the foot speed and quickness Peski has. I think Peski has looked much better and more confident in his limited action recently which I give credit to him since it's tough to get your confidence back sitting in the stands and only practicing.

4 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I know not the thread to get into this discussion but I don't get why so many have given up on Peski so fast? Yes he had his struggles early in the year but it is unquestioned he is the more talented of him and Casey Johnson in my mind. Casey will never have the foot speed and quickness Peski has. I think Peski has looked much better and more confident in his limited action recently which I give credit to him since it's tough to get your confidence back sitting in the stands and only practicing.

Not giving up on Peski myself. He had had some tough games, but could end up doin just fine. Haven't really seen enough of him to know what to expect long terms.

Speed and quickness are valuable (ex. Stecher), but for a lot of these guys, what has been lacking this year is the "smarts". Positioning, back checking, Passing. This past weekend, everyone was guilty of poor passes. We started just turning and throwing the puck, without ever actually passing it to someone. Need those tape to tape passes to set up plays and create some flow.

1 hour ago, SiouxTupa said:

Wolanin and Shaw will be fine. Both are highly talented. Wasn't Shaw USHL D of the year? They're having some struggles, which is very normal. At least from my view, the coaches seem to allow freshmen to just go out and play, keep their games simple, and capitalize on teachable moments. The coaches give them opportunity to succeed, but don't usually pile too much on. Going into 2nd and 3rd years is where they get more responsibility and tougher situations.

Even last year's team was giving up tons of grade A chances late in the season. Supposedly there was a flu going around during the DU series, but you could see breakdowns in quite a few games.

They need to start playing as a team, pick up for each other, and don't get too high or low. 

Well said.  I think many of the breakdowns last weekend didn't involve Casey Johnson or Peski, two of our greenest defensemen.   I think all of us would probably do better if we didn't get too high after great weekends, (St. Cloud, Boston College, Omaha) or too low after poor weekends (Michigan State, Duluth).  We're probably somewhere in between, which relates to where we are in the standings.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not giving up on Peski myself. He had had some tough games, but could end up doin just fine. Haven't really seen enough of him to know what to expect long terms.

Speed and quickness are valuable (ex. Stecher), but for a lot of these guys, what has been lacking this year is the "smarts". Positioning, back checking, Passing. This past weekend, everyone was guilty of poor passes. We started just turning and throwing the puck, without ever actually passing it to someone. Need those tape to tape passes to set up plays and create some flow.

... and it doesn't help when they did turn it over, a team like Duluth made them pay for it.  Can't give up bad goals to a team like that and expect to win.  

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Well said.  I think many of the breakdowns last weekend didn't involve Casey Johnson or Peski, two of our greenest defensemen.   I think all of us would probably do better if we didn't get too high after great weekends, (St. Cloud, Boston College, Omaha) or too low after poor weekends (Michigan State, Duluth).  We're probably somewhere in between, which relates to where we are in the standings.  

That's way too level-headed for this board 'tnt'. Bring your reasonable attitude elsewhere please ;)

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think a lot of the frustrations have to do with coming off of a Nat'l Championship season, with a team that was pretty much dominant across the board. It'll even out.

Personally, I just don't want to see the team miss the tourney. They haven't missed since I have cheered for them, so it would be a major bummer to not get to watch them compete (postseason is such valuable experience for the younger guys). Also, if you make the tourney, anything can happen. After that, the hope is we don't lose too much, so we can compete hard again next season.

55 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I agree...I think he's a decent freshman.  4 year guy most likely.  He had some struggles in a couple of early games and he was written off.  By the time he's a senior/junior he's going to be solid.

How soon we forget what Stetcher, Ladue, and Thompson looked like as freshmen. 

Johnson, Peski, and Poolman the younger, will be fine. Poolman the younger is 21 so you can see it's slowing down for him game by game; Johnson and Peski are showing progress.