SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Speaking of MJ, the same guy who broke the news had a tweet in his timeline about club hockey voting to allow MJ players soon.  That could change the level of play really fast.  It could also bankrupt the CHL once players start taking the academic package to attend UCSB and other party schools paying out of state with the CHL's money to play club hockey.

Why would kids that have NHL aspirations play club hockey?  Am I missing a component to this?

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Many of them are more realistic about their chances at 20 than 16.  And it gives them a chance to go to college in the states rather than play CIS.

Then I would guess they would just turn to the next group of younger players.  I don't think it would bankrupt them, only make them a younger league, should some of those guys leave.  Generally speaking, it is the star players that give those leagues credibility.  It would be interesting to see how it would play out if the NCAA ever allowed Major Junior players to play Division 1 hockey.  Would the colleges get less stars originally, then have to get them on the rebound, or would it play out about the same as it is now.

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

Then I would guess they would just turn to the next group of younger players.  I don't think it would bankrupt them, only make them a younger league, should some of those guys leave.  Generally speaking, it is the star players that give those leagues credibility.  It would be interesting to see how it would play out if the NCAA ever allowed Major Junior players to play Division 1 hockey.  Would the colleges get less stars originally, then have to get them on the rebound, or would it play out about the same as it is now.

college hockey would be that much deeper. Getting guys who may not be ready for the pros yet. MJ is the ushl on steroids (although the difference is getting smaller every year, from a depth perspective).

14 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Tychonick drafted by Fargo

Why did Tychonik go in the 9th round? I though he was supposed to be a BIG TIME recruit? Why wouldn't he have gone higher?

Awesome to see Hain go so high, hopefully he does well and comes to UND ready to dominate.

As geaux_sioux asked ... what are the chances of getting Costello? Is UND looking at him?

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Why did Tychonik go in the 9th round? I though he was supposed to be a BIG TIME recruit? Why wouldn't he have gone higher?

Awesome to see Hain go so high, hopefully he does well and comes to UND ready to dominate.

As geaux_sioux asked ... what are the chances of getting Costello? Is UND looking at him?

He went in the 9th because he's already committed to playing for Penticton. Long shot to come to Fargo anyway. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

The USHL draft isn't like the drafts you have for professional leagues.  The round numbers keep counting up over the two days (Phase 1 on day 1, phase 2 is day 2), but the players eligible change from one day to the next.  From Wiki, underlining mine:

"The USHL Draft is an annual event conducted in two “phases” during the second week of May.[5] The first phase is an eight round draft of U-17 players for the upcoming season. The second phase of the draft is open to all players eligible to play junior hockey who are not already protected by a USHL team. The number of players drafted varies, as each team will draft until they have filled the 45 spots available on their roster. Undrafted players are open to try out for any team as a try-out player. Each team must reduce their roster to 23 players for the start of the season, but may carry 18 additional players on an affiliate list.[6]"

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

He went in the 9th because he's already committed to playing for Penticton. Long shot to come to Fargo anyway. 

Definitely teams do a lot of work to figure out how likely a kid is to come to their team, to me that pick is basically Fargo just taking a flyer. I know Hain is a great player but I thought it was a little strange he went 1st overall just because so few Grand Rapids players leave high school early to play juniors. I guess they could get him to play before and after the high school season though.

11 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Definitely teams do a lot of work to figure out how likely a kid is to come to their team, to me that pick is basically Fargo just taking a flyer. I know Hain is a great player but I thought it was a little strange he went 1st overall just because so few Grand Rapids players leave high school early to play juniors. I guess they could get him to play before and after the high school season though.

Especially considering he turned down an offer to join the National Development team.

59 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Especially considering he turned down an offer to join the National Development team.

He did turn it down?  I assumed he was one of the cuts.  If he actually did turn it down he is definitely going to back to HS

Someone with a few more seasons under their belt--

does this his seem like an abnormally good time for recruiting? Jost, Hain, tychonik, blaisdell, karki, mattson, thome, manchineel I, etc? I know the players come in at different times due to their age and demands/readiness but it seems like the pipeline is getting really rich.

is this normal ?

9 minutes ago, ClassB said:

does this his seem like an abnormally good time for recruiting? Jost, Hain, tychonik, blaisdell, karki, mattson, thome, manchineel I, etc? I know the players come in at different times due to their age and demands/readiness but it seems like the pipeline is getting really rich.

is this normal ?

No, this is Sioux hockey!!!!!  Nothing normal about it!

7 minutes ago, ClassB said:

is this normal ?

Yes and no.  There's always excitement over our incoming recruits.  It's a new challenge for them when they get on campus, and a few can succeed right away, and most need a year or two to acclimate.  It's nice to know we have somehighly touted guys, but I'd have a little cautious optimism. 

Just now, Big A HG said:

Yes and no.  There's always excitement over our incoming recruits.  It's a new challenge for them when they get on campus, and a few can succeed right away, and most need a year or two to acclimate.  It's nice to know we have somehighly touted guys, but I'd have a little cautious optimism. 

Yeah I understand cautious, but I'm just wondering if the recruits are better in quality than usual. 

4 minutes ago, ClassB said:

Yeah I understand cautious, but I'm just wondering if the recruits are better in quality than usual. 

I don't think it seems much different than most of the time personally.  I remember how huge it was when we signed Cichy and the Mattson kid who never made it to campus.